ip4500 problems again, electrical?

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Usually when the logic board dies it will be completely dead or have lights flashing.
If you still have the top off the printer rotate the gears on the front right side of printer and see if the purge unit is binding. This will lock and unlock the head assembly so you can slide the carriage back and forth checking for binding.

The iP4500 power supply has three special fuses built in for protection. These fuses can easily be checked with an ohm meter.

Ron,..In your post above you mention the 3 special fuses in the AC adapter. I would appreciate any description, pictures, or instructions that would help with a dead AC adapter. Rather than post you could send me a message. Trigger 37

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ron,..In your post above you mention the 3 special fuses in the AC adapter. I would appreciate any description, pictures, or instructions that would help with a dead AC adapter. Rather than post you could send me a message. Trigger 37
I think that a few of us would also like to see and read about this as well.

So please post away on the forum!

:thumbsup

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Mi low mileage iP4500 died last month, it just powered off.

I have a iP4000 that did the same thing the logic boards and print heads are junk.

The power supplies in both printers look, test and smell like new.

IP4500 power supply K30290

Fuse F1 = NSTF 3.15A 250V

Fuse F2 = NSTF 2.5A 250V

Fuse F3 = NSFT 2A 250V

oddl.jpg

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron,...thanks for the info,...but did you get this into off of the circuit board or from some slchematic. When you tested them were they all OK. You indicated the printer "Just powered off,..and that is a very common symptom and many times points to a defective AC adapter. You tested them and they were OK,..so the answer is the logic card went bad. Fuse F1 has to be for the 115/220 line voltage. F2 is probably for the 32 volts for the printhead drivers but is just over rated. F3 would be for the control voltage, motors, and the logic board. Normally the logic board won't shut down unless there is a short circuit detected in the power supply or the printhead has had a severe over temperature reading. The sad news is that it is a total risk to put that head back in ANY printer and test it,..since it will probably damage the 2nd printer. It has happended to me several times over the last 7 years and I never seem to learn.

I've put the same bad head in both an MP500 and a MP530 and the results were that now neither printer will power on no matter if I've pulled the plug and let them reset. I'm not into checking the AC adapters. In all of my work I've never seen any kind of fuse on the logic board,..but I've also not check that close. There has to be some circuit that prevents power on since there are no wires in the cable to the AC Adapter that will shut it down. When it is plugged in it will come on. The logic board tests all voltages and decides when and if to power on.

I would appreciate any knowledge from this forum.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
No I do not have a schematic I guess those are top secret.

When I get time I will swap the power supply from the bad iP4000 to a good iP4000.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Well I put the power supply back in the 4500 and it powered up long enough the get the print head out.

Sure enough there was a pin-hole burn on the bottom of the print head close to the color nozzles. This 4500 had less than 1000 prints and now the print head and the logic board are dead.

I remember some one on this forum saying the iP4500 was prone to burn up print heads and now I believe it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Ron
Sorry to hear of your loss and because I can’t see your 4500 coming back from
the lost of both the print head and logic board. :(

You’ll have to move on of course but to what there’s not a great selection out there
in Canon A4’s to pick from.

I would recommend you watch Craig’s List like a hawk and just maybe
you could get a nice 9000 (Same carts) for a good price or even a Pro100, you never know..

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Looking at Ron's other printers,...he has been close with the iP4000 series and the iP4500 is just another version of the same printer,..3 basic colors plus and extra dye black to expand the gamit. Why would he ever jump into the fire with an 8 color wide format printer like the 9000 or even the Pro 100. I do professional photo printing and sell a good number of my pictures but I don't know what you would do with something that is limited to 13" x 19". It doesn't even make a good size picture to hang in you home. Then you have the mess of maintaining 8 ink carts and the cost of special color inks.

Ron,..you need to evaluate what kind of printer you need and consider if the iP4500 series was good enough or you need to consider a MPxxx printer. Many of them use the exact same inks as the iP4500.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The very reason I mentioned the A3+ range of printers is very simple. :)

Firstly the 9000 uses the same cartridges as his now dead 4500 did and secondly the Pro 100
is very much the same so refilling would be very easy for Ron 350.

Besides have you seen the new A4 Canon printers lately,
there totally un-user friendly (Refillable). :(

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thanks for the advice but I have old Canon printers every where.

From the 8500 down to the 560. I only picked up the 4500 because it looked good and had red lights inside.

The Hat was kind enough to send me the original driver disk for the 4500. Thanks again I owe you.

If I find another 4500 for $10 at the thrift store I will probably buy it because I am a glutton for punishment.

What I need is a good color laser and to throw all these ink suckers away. He, he.

But that is not what this thread is supposed to be about.