ip4500 problems again, electrical?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I recently managed to acquire a power adapter for my 4500. Previously, the printer had started to work, then shut down. My friend checked the circuit board in the power adapter and said it was not getting voltage where it needed it. I just installed the new(used)power adapter. To my great disappointment, the same thing happened, it started, actually it seemed to be having trouble moving the print head. Then it shut down. I assume that whatever was the problem fried the new power supply. Does anyone have a notion about what has happened? Is it now a parts printer? I felt so lucky to have found a new power supply, now I assume that it's ruined. I could scream!

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Popsy you have just described a dead Canon printer with a bad logic board.
Your power supplies are probably OK Canon makes good switching power supplies.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron350, Is there a cure for what ails it or is it dead forever?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I am no expert but generally when this happens forum members assume the logic board and the print head are bad.

When you powered up the printer the last time did the print head unlock and move any?

Where do you live?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The carriage seemed as if it were binding on something, it cleared the casing just enough for me to load the printhead but that was as far as it would go. When it powered on it would sort of hiccup and try to move the carriage, then turn off. It did that 2 or 3 times, then died completely. Pretty much what I think it did previously, though I could only tell by sound as I wasn't watching it then.

I live in Phoenix, AZ.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Usually when the logic board dies it will be completely dead or have lights flashing.
If you still have the top off the printer rotate the gears on the front right side of printer and see if the purge unit is binding. This will lock and unlock the head assembly so you can slide the carriage back and forth checking for binding.

The iP4500 power supply has three special fuses built in for protection. These fuses can easily be checked with an ohm meter.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I can't find that anything is binding. I don't know if I turned the correct gears but the head assy moves back and forth easily.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
The next test is to turn the drive gears on the left hand side. Look inside and you will see the 2 gears over on the left. You should be able to rotate either gear with your finger. You should be able to rotate either gear in both directions with no binding.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Again, I'm not sure if I turned the correct things but I could turn anything I could see that looked like a gear.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
The only other thing I can think of is to hold the printer upside down and shake it and see if any thing falls out. Its best to remove the paper cassette before doing this.