ip4500 problems again, electrical?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I went back to check the purge unit gears and find I can turn them in one direction only. The other way moves an assembly of some sort that stops at the parking pads and that's as far as the gears will move in that direction.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
OK the purge gears you are talking about will rotate freely in one direction but in the other direction they raises and lowers the purge pads and slides the wiper blades in and out rotates and the purge pump. Doing all these things makes the gears hard to rotate so I use a Popsicle stick instead of my finger to rotate the gear through the cycle. If you cant rotate the gears through their cycle using a Popsicle stick you probably have a something jammed in that area.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Okay, I got them to rotate through the cycle. Didn't have a popsicle stick handy, but a cuticle stick worked fine. ;-)

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
As it seems to be free from any physical restraints of movement, I assume that means the problem IS electrical? And pretty much rings the death knell? I suppose practically anything can be fixed if one is willing to shell out more dollars, and I am limited in that direction.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Have you tried this?
Remove the print head and leave the carriage in the middle.
Plug the printer in and hit the power button while watching the empty carriage.
What happens?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Oddly enough, it appears to work. I'm shocked that it even powered on, then it went through a bunch of back and forthing and the purge thingy went up and down, then it moved the carriage back to the middle. What on earth does this all mean? Should I put it back together and assume that it's okay? I just powered off and the ph assy moved back over to park position and the purge pads went up and down for a bit, then it all turned off. What was, or is, its problem?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It hit me in the middle of the night - there's still one component missing - the print head. I suppose that it is the problem. I'll install it and see what happens. Is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I tried the old 'non-working' power adapter, surprise, it worked. I installed the print head. It wouldn't move from the center position. I powered off and it moved back to the parking pads. I pushed the power button again and got a flashing yellow light and no movement from the p h.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
popsy said:
I tried the old 'non-working' power adapter, surprise, it worked. I installed the print head. It wouldn't move from the center position.
I powered off and it moved back to the parking pads. I pushed the power button again and got a flashing yellow light and no movement from the p h.
Now you can start to diagnose your problem with a bit more accuracy.
How many times did the orange light flash, it is important one, two, how many :fl

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
10 flashes, then a pause, then it starts over.