Inktec vs OCP vs Epson vs NanoDigital pigment inks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One of the ways I found to remove the gloss differential on the 9500 was to fill a spare Matte black cart with gloss optimiser and coat the whole photo with the GO which worked out extremely well and eliminated most of the differential but not all of it.

Here is the post that explains how to go about it in detail without harming your printer in any way.
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/bronzing-problem-solved-on-the-pro-9500.7506/

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Since Canon added a gloss optimiser to the successor, it is not a bad idea.
I still have an Epson 2100 (with clogged yellow nozzles), I could use this one.
Where do you buy the gloss solution ?

chazza

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
Hi there - this thread is now 9 months old, and I am considering switching from IS inks on my Epson R3000 with satin / lustre paper - could you give us an update please on how your Inktec experience is going ?

Thanks

- Chazza

Umberto Gladys

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
The Inktec pigment ink seems impossible to find now. Wonder what happened to them?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't know whether we can simply assume that Inktec (or other) pigment inks for Canon or Epson look the same on paper, the same paper in regards to gloss, I'm not referring to possible color variations which could be compensated with a dedicated .icc profile.

I must admit that I was not really happy with pigment ink prints/glossy with 3rd party inks on Epson printers, I tested a variety of different ink/brands and found quite a big difference in terms of gloss, gloss differential between colors and bronzing, and to make the matter worse the coating of the paper has an impact much bigger than I expected. I had one brand of ink which just on a few glossy and semiglossy papers showed the cyan a pretty matte whereas that same cyan was pretty glossy on other papers. Other papers with other inks showed pretty big variations with bronzing, mostly black and cyan. Whereas black ink on one paper brand may look pretty reasonable it showed visible bronzing on another paper, or similar with cyan. I tested the Inktec pigment inks for Epson as well, the colors didn't show remarkable effects very strong whereas the black shows a pretty visible metallic sheen in reflective light, stronger than other inks. I tested as well the new Epson photo pigment black of the P600/800 printers, and the related black by Lyson, both have a very good black level, darker than other inks , and a very low side effect of bronzing, visibly less than other inks I used.
I tested as well, in a 2nd print pass, a gloss optimizer (Canon calls it Chroma optimizer), by octopus-office.de, yes - it reduces gloss differentials and bronzing effects , but not as good as I expected, you are still not coming close to prints with dye inks on glossy papers.
Again, as above, I'm using Epson printers and inks destined for them, I cannot comment whether the same effects occur on Canon printers with different inks on different papers. And as mentioned above the paper has a stronger effect on the look of pigment inks than with dye inks, almost all glossy papers look good with them. I'm using at this time glossy paper from Emblem as roll material.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Inktec pigment ink seems impossible to find now. Wonder what happened to them?
Apologies for commercial post but OctoInkjet still have it... Not sure who else is selling it in other parts of the world.

If you need a link, please PM me and I'll fire it across.

Lisa Ann

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother HL-2220
the best ink cartridge at unbeatable price?