Inkjet printer's native resolution

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I know "Digital Print". Like "Digital Negative", it tries to say a little about everything,

I think I need a more technical book, but it seems that there is nothing.
I'm reading now the sharpening chapters of digital imaging books, but normally they do not talk about the printer's side of the subject.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Surely in simple speak, the sharpening of a digital image is a software function that merely enhances the edges of an image to give the visual impression of enhanced sharpness.

The feeding of the image to the printer via the printer driver should be more about the accurate reproduction of the colour values using the chosen colorants and substrate, rather than perceived visual sharpness of the printed image.

Not trying to be a smart@ss, would like to know!

RS

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Thanks Roy,

It seems that native resolution is a printer's driver choice in ppi.

But, as this site http://www.efi.com/myvutek/issue_3/inkjet-resolution.asp indicated, it can not be thought independently from the nozzle spacing of the print head. So, I think that the main factor for deciding the native resolution of a printer is hardware.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the native resolution and the design of the print head.

I've never seen the nozzles on a print head in real life. For example ... for my Epson R2000 (its vertical resolution max. 1440 dpi) does 360 ppi native resolution mean that the print head has 1440 nozzles in one inch ... and it prints 4 dots for every pixel?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Be careful about manufacturer's claims on resolution. They may claim a certain DPI (say, 1440) that is the TOTAL of the BK dots, M dots, C dots, and Y dots per inch.

That said, an inkjet printer can achieve very high resolution with only ONE nozzle. You just move the print head and paper to suit. It just won't print very fast...

In general, the smaller the nozzle opening, the smaller the "dot" size, and the closer the dots can be placed together, which implies "higher resolutions" (DPI). Thermal inkjets typically have a single dot size per firing. Piezo inkjets can vary the dot size per firing.

And it all goes out the window if the PAPER causes ink bleeding (aka, dot spread), which smears the dots together.

Last edited:

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Thanks for the inputs ...
It is more clear now for me.