Inkjet printer's native resolution

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Hi to all ... I would like to learn the definiton and the calculation of "native resolution" of a printer.

Is it the actual nozzle number on the print head for each ink cartridges?
If so, can we calculate it by dividing the vertical resolution of a printer by the number of ink cartridges?

Thanks a lot.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
... I would like to learn the definiton and the calculation of "native resolution" of a printer.
According to QImage literature, Canon printer drivers work at 600x600ppi and Epson printer drivers work at 720x720.

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Thanks Grandad,

But, I would like to learn what native resolution is?
Then, according to Qimage, is 720 native resolution for Epsons?
What is the definition of it?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
that is the amt of "large" dots it places on the paper. The large dot will be made up of a group of several much smaller dots. This is how the multitude of colors is then created by varying the size and color of each of the smaller dots.
That is how you read how the resolution is as high as 5760 dpi.
Epson can vary the size of each small droplet as the printhead passes over the paper. Canon printhead nozzle sizes are fixed but they might contain three banks of varying sizes for each of the same color ink, selecting which one to use as the printhead passes over the paper.
No doubt the printer is doing a lot of number crunching as it is printing, picking which large dot to use and using the required pattern of all possible inks and sizes to create the large dot to mix to to the correct colors. On Canon printheads not necessarily each single nozzle is controlled individually.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
But, I would like to learn what native resolution is?
Then, according to Qimage, is 720 native resolution for Epsons?
What is the definition of it?
Google "printer native resolution" and you will get lots of references with as little or as much detail as you desire.

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
that is the amt of "large" dots it places on the paper. The large dot will be made up of a group of several much smaller dots. This is how the multitude of colors is then created by varying the size and color of each of the smaller dots.
That is how you read how the resolution is as high as 5760 dpi.
Epson can vary the size of each small droplet as the printhead passes over the paper. Canon printhead nozzle sizes are fixed but they might contain three banks of varying sizes for each of the same color ink, selecting which one to use as the printhead passes over the paper.
No doubt the printer is doing a lot of number crunching as it is printing, picking which large dot to use and using the required pattern of all possible inks and sizes to create the large dot to mix to to the correct colors. On Canon printheads not necessarily each single nozzle is controlled individually.

Thanks a lot Mikling,

I think that with large dots you mean a single raster cell ... and a raster cell is composed of many small drops in varying volumes. I know that Epson uses three different sizes of drops ... 1.5, 3 and 7 pl.

So, can we think that every small cell in a single raster cell can accomodate the biggest drops (7 pl in this case)?
And, secondly, do you know the size of the matrix Epdon uses as a raster cell?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It varies depending on the setting in the driver that you choose. I would think if you do the math of maximum resolution and the native print resolution, you'd be able to calculate the matrix array.
The printer driver adjusts the image resolution to its native resolution before it prints. Qimage is supposed to perform a superior adjustment and I attest to that. So it adjusts the image to the native resolution of the printer so the driver no longer needs to make an adjustment at that level.
How the printer adjusts the matrix and what the strategy of mixing the colors versus size is up to the printer design and is contained inside the firmware/hardware combination. Not all Epson printers print in those sizes so don't assume it is universal. The strategy of what is chosen will determine the performance of the printer. I would also tend to think that limitations of what can be done is actually predetermined at the marketing end as well subject to product performance positioning.
I have seen no documentation of how the droplet size is chosen and the choices are based on results after simulations on supercomputers.

Last edited:

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
I'm making a specific study about sharpening, but I could not soundly understand the printer's side of it.
Can you advise a book for completely understanding the resolution issues in color printers?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I'm making a specific study about sharpening, but I could not soundly understand the printer's side of it.
Can you advise a book for completely understanding the resolution issues in color printers?

Not quite sure what you are looking for. I have the book listed below and heartily recommend it as an authoritative treatise for digital printing including image preparation. It delves quite deeply into theory and current practice. Not quite sure exactly what you are looking for, or whether it is a good fit for your requirements. The author is a respected photographer from the Chicago area.

Digital Print, The: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing
By Jeff Schewe - Published Jul 22, 2013 by Peachpit Press

Here's the link:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/digit...ages-in-lightroom-and-photoshop-9780321908452

Your post has piqued my interest. What exactly are you doing in relation to image sharpening, given there are so many excellent third party sharpening solutions available at reasonable price?

On another board I came across a group trying to reverse engineer Adobe Gaussian blur settings with a view to using the inverse readings in a sharpening algorithm, or something like that. Again seemed to be reinventing the wheel.

Roy S
Always inquisitive and sticking my nose in!

Avni

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
I know "Digital Print". Like "Digital Negative", it tries to say a little about everything,

I think I need a more technical book, but it seems that there is nothing.
I'm reading now the sharpening chapters of digital imaging books, but normally they do not talk about the printer's side of the subject.

Anyway, thanks a lot.