Inkjet paper surfaces

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Before proceeding, unless you are a serious nerd you may want to skip this post. It's going to get more than a little technical.

JV,

Another interesting link.

I have not digested everything completely, but I am confused:
1. It is generally accepted that papers with swellable surfaces last longer than papers with nanoporous surfaces because they are more effective at blocking airborne contaminants (e.g. ozone).
2. Kodak says that they ozone in typical concentrations isn't a problem with their new paper because it is swellable, but they don't give any data on nanoporous papers, implying that it is a problem on nanoporous papers.
3. Livick states that blowing air across the prints has almost no effect, but they didn't test the samples behind glass. They also show very short lifetimes for some dye based inks on nanoporous papers, but longer lifetimes on swellable papers. Their test results aren't consistent with each other.

This morning, I got out my spectrophotometer and took some light readings at various places around the house. The results for 12 readings are given below. Before proceeding, let me explain what each image shows. For each test, I took a screenshot of a program to display the spectro's data, cropped it to a small section with the important information and combined 12 readings into a single image.

For each lighting condition the spectro takes 38 readings from 380 to 730 nm (nanometers; 1000 nm = 1 micron). Visible light is usually taken to be between 400 and 700 nm, so the far left of each chart is in the ultraviolet range (from 100 to 400 nm). Since UV light is what causes inks to fade, the left side is very important. As a point of reference, below 100 nm and we are into X-rays - it is easily seen why UV can be so harmful. The far right of each chart is the start of the Infrared (IR) spectrum, which includes radiated heat. A high value (near the "1" on the top) indicates that there is a lot of energy in the light at that wavelength; a low value (near the "0" on the bottom) indicates that there is very little energy in the light at that wavelength. The colors under the chart correspond to the color associated with that wavelength of light. Below the chart are the values for the "Color Temperature" of the light and its intensity, measured in "Lux".

The first chart shows the early morning light when the sun was low in the sky coming through my kitchen windows with all other lights turned off - the lighting was quite comfortable with just the sunlight. Note that the energy drops off at the right because glass absorbs (or is it reflects?) IR, progressively blocking it from entering the house. At about 20,000 Lux, the sun was not terribly bright at this time of the morning, but it was near the upper limit of my spectro (it doesn't generate readings above about 25,000 Lux - that isn't its intended purpose). In any case, this gives a baseline reading for the wavelengths present in direct sunlight. The high intensity and high content of UV in this light would do significant damage to a print. This chart was included on most of the other charts to provide a direct comparison with sunlight.

The second chart was measured about 10' away from a wall that had the sunlight shining on it; note that there was very little UV energy in this light and the intensity was only 42 Lux (Livick uses 275 Lux for 10 hours/day for their test baseline). The light reflected from this wall would do very little damage to a print. The third chart shows the light reflected from the white ceiling, and it is similar to the light from the wall.

The 4th and 5th charts show the light generated by two fluorescent bulbs - the 4th is a replacement screw-in bulb for a tungsten socket and the 5th is a pair of 18" long tube bulbs. As Livick states, there is very little UV energy in these lights, so they do not simulate sunlight very well. These readings were taken about 1' away from the lights, so they are well above the 275 Lux test baseline. It is interesting to note that there is very little IR energy generated by these bulbs. That is why they are so efficient - most of the energy goes into producing light.

Contrast this with the 6th and 7th charts for Tungsten and Halogen lights - most of the energy goes into generating heat (IR) instead of light. These charts show that Tungsten lights generate almost no UV, and that they should therefore cause very little damage to prints. Skipping ahead to chart 9, these two lights are directly compared. It can be seen that the Halogen puts out more light in the middle of the spectrum, and that is why it is more pleasing to the eye than a Tungsten light.

The 8th chart was taken from the light coming in through a window on the side of the house away from the sun. There is a lot of IR in this light, and almost the same percentage or UV as in direct sunlight. This says that prints facing any window will receive a lot more UV than prints that do not face a window, even if the sun doesn't directly shine through the window.

The 10th chart shows the light coming through a window in the mid-day sun, but not directly in the sunbeam. The spectrum is very similar to the direct morning sun, but at a much reduced light level. This light has a lot of UV and would damage a print. The 11th and 12th charts show the light reflected from a far wall and ceiling in the same room where the 10th chart was measured. As before, when the sunlight reflects from another surface the UV content is greatly reduced.
LightSources1.jpg

Summary:
1. Tungsten lights have a very low percentage of UV in their spectrum and should do little damage to prints.
2. Fluorescent lights have a little higher percentage of UV than tungsten lights, but still far less than sunlight. They should also do little damage to prints.
3. Direct sunlight has the highest percentage of UV, and will do the most damage. Even if the prints do not receive direct sunlight, any direct light through a window will have a high percentage of UV.
4. Sunlight that is reflected from the floor, ceiling or walls has about 1/2 of the percentage of UV as direct sun light, and will only cause 50% of the damage as direct sunlight (for the same Lux readings).

Observations:
1. While 275 Lux may be typical in a room where you are reading or working, most rooms in a house are not lit to that level with sunlight for 10 hours/day.
2. In my house, sunlit rooms are seldom more than 100 Lux where my prints are mounted, and that is only for a few hours/day and only on those days when the sun is shining. With artificial lighting, the prints see more than 100 Lux, but there is very little UV in that light. Also, the artificial lighting is seldom on for more than a few hours/day in a single location.
3. I never have photos in direct sunlight.
4. I have had dye based prints on the refrigerator for 3 years with no obvious fading.
5. The lighting is only one of many variables in determining print life, and all of these variables help to explain why some people don't have a fading problem while others do.
6. Only Livick addresses the differences in the UV content of the type of light used for the test, but they (IMHO incorrectly) assume that all light is the same as direct sunlight. In light of these readings, I feel that Livick's tests greatly understate the life of a print in a typical house.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Another "post for nerds" on the effect of paper and coatings on UV damage.

I rounded up several samples of inkjet photo paper that I had in the house:
Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper
Ilford Smooth Gloss (ISG)
Ilford Smooth Pearl
Ilford Classic Pearl
Epson Glossy Photo Paper
Kodak Ultima (100 year) Photo Paper
Kodak matte photo paper (I couldn't find the box to identify it further)
Standard bond paper used in laser printers

A piece of the bond paper was coated with the "ClearShield" UV resistant water based acrylic coating recommended by Livick. A second piece of bond paper was sprayed with a generic acrylic clear coat that did not claim to be UV resistant. All of these samples were measured with the spectro set to measure how they reflect light, and several important comparisons are shown in the image below. See the previous post for a description of the charts shown on this image.

All 3 Ilford papers gave similar results, with the ISG being the "whitest" in the middle wavelengths and also having the best reduction in UV at the left of the chart (but only by a little - all three Ilford papers were very close). It has been claimed by many that the Kirkland paper is made by Ilford. Since its chart was very close to the Ilford papers, this statement could be true.

The first chart shows a comparison of the ISG with an Epson Glossy photo paper. Note that the ISG is whiter in the middle wavelengths and also does a much better job at absorbing UV. Chart 2 shows that the Epson paper has almost the same (low) UV absorption characteristics as regular bond paper. If the coating on an inkjet paper absorbs UV, there will be less harmful light reaching the dye buried in the coating, and the print life should be improved. Perhaps the Epson paper is designed for pigmented ink, where the pigment particles would close to the surface, and where any UV absorption in the paper's coating won't be of much benefit.

The 3rd chart explains why Livick saw an improvement by coating their prints with "ClearShield" - it absorbs UV before it gets to either dye or pigment based colors (since it is also on top of any pigment). BTW, I did coat some Ilford paper, but the Ilford papers already absorbed more UV than the coating (see the 4th chart), so no effect could be seen - this is why bond paper was used for this test. The spray-on acrylic coating gave no measurable difference in UV absorption, so these coatings should not be relied on for UV protection unless the container specifically states that it protects from UV. I should also mention that the left of these charts is only the beginning of the UV spectrum, and that I have no idea what happens further to the left. It is very possible that the ClearShield becomes more effective than the Ilford further to the left (deeper into the UV spectrum). This link (http://www.norquaytech.com/productoverview.htm) shows the effect of several commercial UV stabilizers in the UV spectrum.

The 5th chart compares Kodak's top of the line "Ultima" paper (in Red - rated for 100 years) with ISG (black). The ISG is slightly whiter (obvious in a side-by-side comparison), but the Ultima absorbs more UV. The 6th chart compares the same Ultima (black in this chart) with a Kodak matte paper (red) - the matte paper is whiter, but it isn't as good as absorbing UV as the Ultima or Ilford papers.

Here are a few more links on the subject for those who are interested.
http://www.cibasc.com/index/ind-ind...ility/ind-pla-eff-dur-lig-lightstabilizer.htm
http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/UVFilters/UVfilter.html
http://cehs07.unl.edu/cehsabstracts/docs/Vamshi Naarani Abstract.pdf
http://www.signindustry.com/finishing/articles/2003-09-11-WhatDoesUV.php3
http://www.cibasc.com/index/ind-ind...effects/ind-img-pdi-dig-eff_lightfastness.htm
Paper_UV1.jpg

In summary, it appears that Kirkland and Ilford papers offer some UV protection. As Livick has shown, coating your prints with ClearShield will offer further protection because it reduces the UV that gets to the substances that have been dyed and also because it will help to seal the surface of any nanoporous papers in a similar fashion to swellable polymers. Kodak's "100 year" paper has excellent UV absorption characteristics, and this may contribute to its extended life, in addition to its use of a swellable coating. The Ilford Calssic Pearl also uses a swellable coating and it has nearly the same UV absorption characteristics (at least as far down as this spectro would measure).

JV

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad,

Thank you for your excellent presentations. I have to study this before I can make a contribution.

JV

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Outstanding piece of work. In a few paragraphs you've provided more understandable and relavent information than anything I've seen from Wilhelm or Livick.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
JV, drc023,

Thanks for your comments.

A few more thoughts about the UV stability of inkjet dyes.

In addition to blocking the UV from getting to the colors, another approach would be to add a stabilizer to the dyes themselves so that they are more resistant to damage from the UV. This type of approach is commonly used in plastic films, where a product that sees a lot of UV (e.g. the film used to cover a greenhouse) and would normally embrittle in a few months can be stabilized to extend its useful life to over 5 years.

It appears that a similar approach may be possible with inkjet inks. This link (http://www.cibasc.com/index/ind-ind...effects/ind-img-pdi-dig-eff_lightfastness.htm) says in part:

"Additives may be incorporated into the ink jet receptive coating to improve light stability. In our commercial product range for ink receptive coatings, the liquid products Ciba TINUVIN 292 (hindered amine light stabilizer) and Ciba TINUVIN 1130 (UV absorber) are globally recognized. Future development is moving towards products that are completely water soluble and can be added either to the ink or the ink jet receptive coating."

The same link also discusses dyes that are stabilized against gas fading. I have to wonder whether these types stabilizers aren't already part of HP's proven (and Cannon's claimed) longer life inks. This may provide yet another explanation as to why some of the inks in Livick's study have a very much shorter or longer life than similar inks when printed on the same papers. If I could find these types of references in a few minutes, what could an experienced ink formulator find? If such stabilizers (rated for thermal inkjets) were readily available we could add them to our own bulk inks, but the best approach would be for the ink supplier to add them when the inks are formulated.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Rob and Fotofreek sent samples of papers that they have used and all 24 samples were tested in a single sitting to make sure that all results are consistent. The data is presented below and includes:
Sample number
"L", "a", "b" color values for the paper (CIELab color space)
400nm and 380nm are the percentage of light that is reflected at 400 and 380 nm.

400nm is on the border between visible and UV light, and 380nm is slightly into the UV spectrum (it is also the shortest wavelength measured by this spectro). These two values give an idea of the UV protection offered by the paper by looking at how rapidly the values drop between 400 and 380nm. It would be nice to run a full UV spectrum if anyone has the equipment to run those tests.

L a b 400nm 380nm Paper
1 94.7 0.6 -5.5 0.29 0.12 Kodak Ultima PP
2 95.3 0.7 -5.4 0.40 0.30 Kodak Matte PP
3 94.1 0.8 -6.7 0.29 0.13 Kodak Glossy PP
4 94.4 -0.6 -5.6 0.37 0.19 Kirkland Glossy PP Sample 1
5 95.7 -0.4 -6.0 0.33 0.19 Kirkland Glossy PP Sample 2
6 96.8 0.0 -5.2 0.28 0.16 Ilford Smooth Gloss
7 96.4 -0.1 -5.1 0.33 0.20 Ilford Smooth Pearl
8 95.6 0.2 -5.2 0.42 0.26 Ilford Classic Pearl
9 96.3 0.0 -2.6 0.60 0.47 Canon Photo Paper Pro
10 95.7 -0.4 -2.9 0.77 0.66 Canon Glossy PP
11 95.7 2.0 -8.9 0.33 0.20 Staples Photo Supreme 2 sided matte-side 1
12 95.8 2.0 -8.8 0.34 0.20 Staples Photo Supreme 2 sided matte-side 2
13 94.2 -0.3 -4.5 0.74 0.63 Epson Glossy PP-1
14 98.6 0.9 -3.9 0.40 0.25 Epson Glossy PP-2
15 95.9 -0.2 -3.1 0.73 0.63 Epson Premium Glossy PP
16 97.1 0.7 -5.2 0.42 0.23 Epson 2 sided Matte-side 1
17 97.2 0.8 -5.4 0.41 0.22 Epson 2 sided Matte-side 2
18 96.4 1.1 -5.7 0.37 0.20 Epson Heavy Matte Clay
19 92.4 0.0 -3.0 0.62 0.46 Great Quality Glossy
20 89.3 0.8 -3.6 0.16 0.04 Crystal Archive (conventional "film" photo sampled over cloud)
21 93.3 0.2 -1.2 0.66 0.53 Bond paper
22 91.1 -0.5 1.1 0.24 0.06 Bond paper coated with SPF-45 sun block
23 91.0 1.1 -1.0 0.64 0.52 Bond paper sprayed with generic acrylic spray
24 93.1 0.0 -0.5 0.54 0.29 Bond paper with UV aqueous acrylic coating ("ClearShield")

A few points of interest:
1. Kodak's Ultima(1) and Glossy PP(3) appear to offer (by far) the best UV protection of the inkjet papers.
2. It is surprising that Canon's papers(9,10) are among the worst at providing UV protection. The age of these papers is unknown, and it is possible that Canon has improved these papers in the meantime. Is this part of their "new ink" improvement? If not, they are missing an easy bet to improve their print life.
3. Epson's papers(13-18) are inconsistent - some have good UV protection and some have poor UV protection. If you are looking to maximize your print life with dye based inks, these papers appear to be a real "crap shoot".
4. Ilford's papers (4-8) all offer decent UV protection.
5. I found an old photo shot on film that had some "almost white" clouds that I could test(20). The back of the print was marked "Crystal Archive", so I assume that it was printed on Fuji photo paper. This paper had (by far) the best UV absorption of any of the papers tested.
6. To satisfy a curiousity, some SPF-45 sun block was smeared onto some bond paper(22) and tested to compare the efficiency of sun block with the same paper coated with "ClearShield"(29). The ClearShield wasn't as effective as many of the other papers at blocking UV, but the SPF did a great job. This makes sense, as we aren't as concerned about a little loss in brightness (93.3-->91.1) and some color shift when using sun block.
7. If you are interested in the whiteness of any of these papers, look at the "Lab" values. For example, the Great Quality Glossy paper(19) only has a little better brightness than bond paper, and it is far worse than any of the other photo papers. As the "a" and "b" values deviate further from zero, the paper has a greater color cast(11-12).

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This is a continuation of the first post in this thread about the construction of inkjet paper.

Three samples of photo inkjet paper were tested:
1. Nanoporous (Ilford Smooth Gloss - ISG)
2. Swellable (Ilford Classic Pearl - ICP)
3. Kodak Ultima

To make it easier to see the surface layers, each paper was swabbed with a dye based black and a pigment based black, and the paper cut with a sharp industrial razor blade against a glass plate to get a reasonably clean edge.

This image shows ICP (swellable). Both inks looked about the same, but the pigment ink was darker at the surface and got lighter as the ink had to travel further, while the dye ink had about the same color throughout.
ICP1.jpg

This image shows ISG (nanoporous).
Note:
1. The nanoporous layer is much thicker than the swellable layer on the ICP.
2. As with the ICP, the pigment ink color seems to be concentrated toward the surface while the dye ink's color only dropped off much deeper into the coating.
3. The cut surfaces are badly torn up. This is just my opinion, but it appears that some of the ceramic "nanoporous" particles caught on the edge of the razor blade and caused the damage when the sample was cut. Toward the center of the dye image is what I believe to be one of these particles - it glistened when viewed in the microscope, but the image capture did not show this to nearly the same degree.
ISG2.jpg

This image shows Kodak's Ultima paper. This link was provided by JV and gives details on the construction of this paper.
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents/63/0900688a801caf63/ULTIMAWhitePaper012804.pdf
Note:
1. This image shows that the thickness of the colored layer for the dye ink was about the same as the swellable paper. There were small white flecks visible in this layer with the dye ink.
2. At a higher magnification (500X) a thin surface layer was visible - corresponding to Kodak's "Protective Overcoat" layer.
3. With the pigment ink, the color traveled about twice as far into the coatings as with the dye ink, but there was a visible line at the boundary where the ink color became lighter. These two layers correspond to Kodak's "Humectant Management Layer" and their "Ink Absorbing Layer".
4. The additional (deeper) color on the pigment image made a 4th layer visible, corresponding to Kodak's "Pigmented Resin" layer.

It is very interesting that the "Ink Absorbing Layer" didn't get any of the dye ink. The paper was swabbed with a heavy coating of black ink, so it wasn't because there was only a small amount of ink put onto the paper. It is also interesting that the pigment ink was absorbed deeper than the dye ink on the Ultima paper, while it didn't travel as deep on the other papers.

Kodak's write-up states that the humectant layer serves as a "weak dye-fixing layer" and that the ink absorbing layer provides for "additional, stronger dye fixing capability". These images don't support Kodak's claims. It's hard to believe that Kodak didn't do much more sophisticated tests than these and that they weren't aware of the layer where the dye inks ended up before the paper was marketed.
Ultima.jpg