Important : Canon Pro-100 Cli-42 Yellow Ink

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
What The Hat means is that we really do not care about the print of your document which clearly shows substandard yellow flow. Only the nozzle check which does not do any damage to the head like printing a whole document with a known clogged channel would. A scan of the actual nozzle checks tells a more complete story as it represents what is actually clogged and what percentage is clogged.
If soaking the head does not improve your current situation you will need a new head.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The yellow is getting through in limited volume. Soaking the nozzles is not likely the solution. The top inlet area on the printhead needs to be flushed out. Take the printhead out. Lay it on top of paper towels. Now take windex with ammonia and drip it onto the inlet ports where the cartridge contacts over and over again until the liquid that comes out the bottom of the printhead onto the towel is no longer yellow. That will solve it.

If you are more careful, you can attach a tube to the syringe and gently force windex through the top inlet and that will also solve it. Otherwise gently dripping windex down the top over and over again with many mls. till the output at the bottom is no longer yellow.

If you want, you can soak the printhead in windex with ammonia but have it cover the inlet or top of the intake of the printhead. Soaking the bottom are alone is not the solution nor the likely problem. Even after the soaking, flow the windex through the channels via the top inlet. The problem area is the top of the inlet. There is a a very dense and fine filter under the mesh and that filter is blocked.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you for finally posting the nozzle check because everything looks a lot clearer now, and I am pleased you have also stopped all of your printing except the nozzle prints.

You are now getting conflicting ways and methods to solve your problem but whichever one you choose to use that is up to you, so do one of them or all of them but above all be patient because it looks a clear case of Yello Gello syndrome to me.

To clear this Gello clog won’t be easy it’s a matter of dissolving the clog first rather than trying to flush it out and it won’t move till you can break it down slowly, I had much the same problem with two different heads of mine and managed to clear both of them by just soaking them in time and a lot of patients.

When you get everything sorted out, please don’t use the CLI-8 cartridge till you can give it a complete heavy purging in some of the solutions mentioned above and untill you can get the sponge inside it perfectly clean again but most importantly make sure it’s dry before refilling.

That one was printed before your ordered me to not use the printer.

We didn’t order you to stop printing, more like we strongly insisted but at least it worked didn’t it..:D

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Molfitz, is the printer still under warranty? If so, consider contacting Canon about the issue and see what they will do. That's what I'd do.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have been using an Epson R2880 for large photos in recent years but I need a lower cost printing solution, such as using a Canon Pro-100, leaving the R2880 only for prints that desire to be very archival. There are plenty of cheap new Pro-100 out there.Then I see this thread and I am concerned.

Has anyone see this issue as an ink compatibility issue? When a problem arises from using a 3rd party ink we can say it is the OEM manufacturer, Canon, for causing the problem or we can say it is the 3rd party product that does not work on Canon.

It really looks to me that the clogging of the yellow channel may be caused by the refill ink that simply does not work or of course we can say it is the Canon CLI-42Y ink that is causing the bug. We can also question maybe it is the OEM CLI-42Y cartridge that uses a poor quality sponge and it causes the ink flow issue.

I have not read the entire thread and have not done much research on this issue. If there has been discussion or conclusion about this I apologize for bringing this up.If so can someone point me to it? Thanks.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
did you consider investing into refill for the R2880 - a set of refill cartridges and suitable inks - instead of investing into another printer, with different cartridges and inks ? Or are there other reasons to go for the Pro-100 ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Tin Ho, the issues with the compatibility of the OEM yellow ink in the Pro 100 is no longer causing’s any problems, so if you wish to use 3rd party ink in the printer just don’t refill the yellow cartridge that is all there is to it, easy.

If you can get a Pro 100 for buttons, I reckon you should grab it with both hands, only then decide if you wish to run 3rd party inks in it or not, my advice is don’t let this small issue stop you from saving even more on you everyday printing..;)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
did you consider investing into refill for the R2880 - a set of refill cartridges and suitable inks - instead of investing into another printer, with different cartridges and inks ? Or are there other reasons to go for the Pro-100 ?

I actually already refilling my R2880 with a set of 3rd party carts with basic ARC. I am completely happy with it. However, R2880 is a low end model, which could mean a shorter lifespan. I believe I have printed a lot on it. It is a discontinued printer. The replacement will be a R3880 which will cost major bucks. So I want to use the remaining life of my R2880 selectively. I am afraid its waste tank is getting filled up.

Besides, my ink source that I am very happy with is no longer in business. I still have some ink reserve from that source but it could get drained off quickly if I don't print selectively. So I am looking into a Pro-100 to take some of my print jobs away from my R2880. R2880 is a wonderful photo printer. I wish I could get a couple more. Maybe I should go straight to a R3880 and forget about Pro-100. If I could find the same ink that I got before that would be the way to go for sure.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
@Tin Ho, the issues with the compatibility of the OEM yellow ink in the Pro 100 is no longer causing’s any problems, so if you wish to use 3rd party ink in the printer just don’t refill the yellow cartridge that is all there is to it, easy.

If you can get a Pro 100 for buttons, I reckon you should grab it with both hands, only then decide if you wish to run 3rd party inks in it or not, my advice is don’t let this small issue stop you from saving even more on you everyday printing..;)

I am concerned that I have to discard my OEM CLI-42Y cart. I know I can get the chip off and mount it on a CLI-8 to refill. The question is why should I need to do that? I don't think Canon did anything to the CLI-42Y cart to make it unusable by 3rd party ink. I doubt the Canon OEM Y ink is the cause of the problem either.

It looks to me the whole issue is more like an ink compatibility issue. It looks more like the 3rd party yellow ink does not work well. I wish I were wrong. There aren't many sources of CLI-42 ink out there. I still have bitter memory for losing 3 ip895 10 years ago due to a similar issue, a clogged yellow channel. At the time I refilled the 3 ip895 with ink bought from an ebay seller. My yellow channel would gradually turn from a rich saturate yellow to light yellow and my prints turned toward a blue cast. By the time the cause was identified to be by the ink it was too late and all 3 printers had to be written off.

Do I misunderstand you? Thanks for the suggestion.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Why do you wish to go against what has been proven to not be a good idea???
Yes. It is that particular Yellow ink which is not, for whatever the reason compatible with OEM Yellow ink. Is the PC ink Bad??? Not at all! It just does not "Like" OEM Yellow!
The conditions that must be met for the Jelloing effect to take place are not really reproducible. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it just doesn't.
I refilled my original yellow cart 5 times before I clogged my Yellow Channel on my PRO-100. A bit of Windex dripped onto the intake port of theat channel disolved it and cleared it away and I clearly was extremely lucky!
I am able to flush the OEM Yellow carts till there is absolutely ZERO yellow residue. But it takes a ton of work and special fluids to do so!!! Plain Water will NOT do it, regardless of how much or how long you try to flush that cart witih just water. Yellow residue will still remain! And that is the perfect condition for the Jello effect to occur.
Just do what has proven to work and be done with it.
Do you really want to risk your print head?
I can just say "I don't care" whatever youy do but inside, I would not like to see a defenseless print head dying for no good reason.

Joe