HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525 - HP 685

Mohinesh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3525
i am worried about that hole i have to make in my black XL cartridge...
how much ink should i put in??
can i close the hole using a sticky tape??

one more most important issue...

i have some ink left in CMY cartridges and a little in BLACK cartridges

so, if i put the new ink inside the cartridges that already have some original ink from HP, both the inks will get mixed inside the cartridges, wont that make a problem???

Mohinesh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3525
TopFill may be the best if it's the XL kind, but what about the lower capacity cartridges (starter)? The printer is new and this is the first time he will be refilling, so I think we are talking about the cartridges that came with the printer. Right, @Mohinesh ?
ya right

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You can safely mix your new ink with the HP ink that’s still left in the cartridges,
but don’t try to seal your refill hole with tape IT WONT WORK, use a silicone plug
or hot glue because the refill hole must be 100% air tight..

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
i am worried about that hole i have to make in my black XL cartridge...
how much ink should i put in??
can i close the hole using a sticky tape??

one more most important issue...

i have some ink left in CMY cartridges and a little in BLACK cartridges

so, if i put the new ink inside the cartridges that already have some original ink from HP, both the inks will get mixed inside the cartridges, wont that make a problem???

If you make a small hole like mine, then hot-glue would be enough to seal it. Please have a look back my post. Remember that the hole must be small, just barely enough to insert the needle with a little bit loose to let air get out.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yellow Nozzles Recovery
---
Hey, let's have a look:

Scan0001.jpg

Yes! I managed to recover my yellow nozzles from severe clogging (see my previous posts for images of my yellow nozzles when it got clogged).
You can see a little contamination on the yellow channel, but what important is there's virtually no streaks!

Unluckily when I get yellow perfect, I have a very faint streaks on K channel and M channel. You can see them on the image (zoom in to see).

How did I recover the Y channel?
By applying the Epson technique for print head cleaning (why this? because this printer has non-removable print head like Epson's):
  • Fold tissue wet with ethanol under print head, GENTLY pumped ethanol 70% to the channel. Let it sit overnight.
  • The next day ran a cleaning circle. Did it for 3 days.
  • On day 4 made a Y cleaning cartridge (ink + ethanol + water + a surface active agent if you have one - take it from soap!), inserted it, ran a cleaning circle. Let the printer rest for a while.
  • Then opened Word and drew 4 bar of yellow (just like the pink ones on the above picture ^), then printed it in maximum resolution - yes, I had to trick the printer by selecting some other paper type in the setting). I did this while I opened the lid just to watch the progress and cancel right away if things go wrong or I feel that ink is not coming out and nozzle is burning out.) After done, let the printer rest for a while.
  • => Did another nozzle check: Y came out beautifully, just a little bit faint because the ink was diluted with alcohol and water.
  • Took out the Y cart and purged it, refilled it with ink and inserted it back.
  • Did another nozzle check: perfect. Let the printer sit for a day.

From then, Y is coming out fine!

P/S: Thanks @The Hat and articles from other inkjet gurus and guide from the Epson print head cleaning manual from someone I forget his name!

Last edited:

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Now I don't care about Y channel anymore, but the K channel and M channel!!

With those very little faint streaks, do I need to really care??

P/S: I think it's a clog, not an electrical failure. What do you think?

(Applied: one Sharpen, one Negative.)

z.jpg

zz.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I‘d ignore it and leave well enough alone, then just enjoy printing again.. :D

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Those streaks are, up till now, not noticeable when printing photo in Best mode or Max DPI mode. In Draft and Normal mode, it is a little bit visible but not much. Anyway, if this is the price I have to pay for using very wrong ink (and, to find appropriate ink and ink sellers in my location!! And, yes, one more and, to know the "slang terminologies" people use to talk about types of ink here!) in my printer then I think it's not expensive compared to others who burn their whole band of nozzles. :cool:

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
You can safely mix your new ink with the HP ink that’s still left in the cartridges,
but don’t try to seal your refill hole with tape IT WONT WORK, use a silicone plug
or hot glue because the refill hole must be 100% air tight..
Hi @The Hat ,

What if now I buy a set of OEM carts and install it into the printer which already has refilled-ink inside. Would the mix of OEM and refilled-ink clog the printhead?
Do I need to flush the printhead or do many deep cleaning cycles just to push out all remaining refilled-ink inside the printhead, before using the new set of OEM carts?
I really don't wanna flush out all of the OEM ink in the new carts since it wastes money...But I have to buy a new set of carts since my last 2 sets are ways too old (refilled 50 times!) and the V-hook are broken though...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You can safely use the new OEM cartridges in your printer without having to run any cleaning cycles just treat them as you would your current ones, no different and when they get low on ink just refill as normal..