HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525 - HP 685

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
HP 685 ink cartridges:
---

Here is a series of images, showing how I refill this type of cartridges.
Some information about HP 685 cartridge:
HP 685 colour: dye, normal size (sponge only), hold 5ml ink.
HP 685 black: pigmented, XL size (sponge + chamber), hold 14ml ink.

Note, there is no "HP 685 XL"!! :he HP modifies HP 564 to make HP 685. They don't do as normal: normal size and XL size version, but instead they mix them to form the color carts is of normal size and the black is of XL size (to pr that one can print up to 550 page with it! And people will get blind and not looking at other carts. :confused:)

First, I cover the outlet with the original orange cap and tap the cart against a hard surface to correct the sponge position.

HP 685 color cart is of normal size: no ball-sealed hole. Refill is done by using the air vent hole.

The bottom of HP 685 color cart. New chip, 2x smaller than the old chip. Serial ended in S indicate that it's Setup cart.

Fill the syringle with 5ml of ink of correct color. Push the needle in the air vent all the way down (because the needle is short, only 1"), tilt it and inject ink *slowly*. When it's getting to the end, keep inject ink while pull up the needle.

After finish inject ink, let it sit for a while, then remove the orange cap and place it on top of the ink bottle (to collect the ink back!) Let it drip exceeded ink.

HP 685 black. You can see that there's ball-sealed hole, meaning it's XL version and it's chamber hold ink.

I don't use the ball hole. Instead, I drill a very small hold (~0.75mm, must be slightly bigger than the needle outer diameter. A little space is to let air out when ink comes in.) to inject the needle. Small hole can be sealed by hot glue easier and more perfect.

The hole I drilled using a screwdriver. Fill the syringle with 14ml of ink and inject 10ml of ink through this hole, tilt the cart and wait for 3 min for the sponge to absorb ink, then inject the rest 4ml.

The hot-glue piece when removed.

How I tilt the cart.

After refill, warm up the hot glue stick and seal the hole. Use your wet finger to flatten it down!

Again, let it drip a little bit...Remember that you must seal the chamber refill hole before do this! Otherwise when you remove the orange cap ink will flow freely!

See? Sealed already!

Here's my cup of tea to relax while waiting...And, the tape I use to cover stuff...:caf

Here's my working desk...

All sealed with the original orange caps, secured with rubber. Air vent is half-covered.

A full set of HP 685 refilled ink cartridges, wrapped in a plastic bag to minimize evaporation.:thumbsup

And finally, again, here is my refill toolkit. Refilled ink cartridges are stored upward. Syringles are pulled up a little bit so that it won't become sticky.

Done!

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Excellent posts! :thumbsup

I do not own any HP's but it is good to know about your experiences in case I come across someone who does and wants to refill.

Great job! :clap
Thanks! I know most of you use Canon and Epson. I'm off the road :D

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually, I just touch touch and touch and suddenly this comes up. I then googled it and found the "correct" way to bring it up!
Good job figuring out how to enter the service menu :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
thanhhuy123 Here is a series of images, showing how I refill this type of cartridges.
There are two things I would change if I were refilling these cartridges.

Firstly I would tap the cartridges after it is filled and not before hand.
Second I wouldn’t tilt the cartridge towards the air vent end while refilling either.

My two cent worth.. :)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
How To Disassembly? How To Install a CISS system?
---

Hi all,

Tonight, I've just come across a very nice video. This video shows how to disassembly the top cover of the printer and how to install a CISS system with OEM carts, without drilling, cutting case for ink tube. Fantastic clip! Enjoy!

PS: BTW, I'm just curious that whether he would use pigmented black or dye black for the black channel, since I heard somewhere on this forum that pigmented ink is a no-no for CISS. If pigmented ink is used in CISS then one would have to shake the ink tank manually :eek:, or change the tube for the black channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbYkAkW2lW4
(The language is not English, nor my mother tonge. But watching him doing things is enough for me to understand.)

Last edited:

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
There are two things I would change if I were refilling these cartridges.

Firstly I would tap the cartridges after it is filled and not before hand.
Second I wouldn’t tilt the cartridge towards the air vent end while refilling either.

My two cent worth.. :)

Could you please explain why? I'm just curious and would like the advice from your gold experience! :) (BTW, FYI, my needle is quite short, only ~0.75 inch)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Could you explain why? I'm just curious! (BTW, FYI, my needle is quite short, only ~0.75 inch)

If there is a sudden rush of ink into the cartridge and the air doesn’t vacate
quickly enough then the ink will surly find a pathway to the air maze..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Tranh Huy, you need to keep the serpentine vents covered to keep the ink from drying out. When you removed the label, you exposed the inside of the cartridge directly to the atmosphere. You can cover it with tape again, but leave just the end open so air can get in to replace the ink as it is used.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tranh Huy, you need to keep the serpentine vents covered to keep the ink from drying out. When you removed the label, you exposed the inside of the cartridge directly to the atmosphere. You can cover it with tape again, but leave just the end open so air can get in to replace the ink as it is used.
Thanks @ThrillaMozilla ;)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Today, when I was changing the ink cartridges, I noticed something strange at the purge pad. With the help of a flashlight, I quickly noticed that the "plastic sweeper" (correct my English, please, someone?) used to sweep the ink out of the printhead surface was missing. My printouts in the last couple of days were coincidently smeared, indicate that the sweeper had dropped out for some days.

Thinking that the sweeper must be still somewhere inside the printer and very likely on the pathway of the purge unit movement, I put my finger in the purge unit as well as the waste ink pad to look for my baby. Yes, it was there! I took it out, look for any damage. None was found, so I replace it back to its position on the purge unit.

I can't even image that this little piece of plastic can fall off...Something's wrong with my printer mechanism??

I didn't take any picture, unluckily since my hands were too dirty at that time.