How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

granedus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
it happened way back when the printer was new, so not recent.
I think most recent error is always stored in the position ER0, and the rest of errors are shifted down the line ER0 -> ER1, ER1 -> ER2, ER2 -> ER3, etc. To test, make a printout, then generate minor error (by printing with closed door, for example), make another printout and you will see.

Printout of EEPROM was made by the same service tool as you use to reset diaper counters. I made a printout immediately after getting bad Nozzle Check print.

B200 might have been generated during the time when I turned the printer on for the first time. It was not connected to the PC. Or it might have been generated by previous owner. I wish I pay more attention to the printer lights when switching printer on for the first time myself.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I think most recent error is always stored in the position ER0, and the rest of errors are shifted down the line ER0 -> ER1, ER1 -> ER2, ER2 -> ER3, etc.
As I suspected in my post.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don't know if the error numbering system means ER1 occurred before or after ER2. Maybe there have been other B200 errors that have fallen off the counter
This is not the way I see it, errors are stored in the order they were generated. That would infer that it deletes the previous messages, and memory is not an issue with this beast, she has the memory of an Elephant, and if a B200 happens twice in a row the printer locks you out of all further operations.
Printout of EEPROM was made by the same service tool as you use to reset diaper counters. I made a printout immediately after getting bad Nozzle Check print.
Ok, but can you provide the Service tool Version that you used to do the EPROM print out ?..
That seems a bit improbable...

Last edited:

granedus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1

Attachments

• EEPROM_2021-11-06-23.07_no_IDs.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 213

granedus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Quite a simple fix really in the end suggested by a local print lab. Thanks anyway for your time and efforts, a reasonable attempt but must try harder. Now for some toast.
Hi Conor, I have had similar issue with Pro-1.
Have you been able to fix your printer?
Was print head replacement necessary?

Please, feel free to PM if you prefer to do so.

Harbor Pictures

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Changing the print head is all straight forwards when you know what you’re doing, but your problem will be finding a genuine new print head from an authorised dealer like the one that @PeterBJ mentioned and then having enough ink to carry out the procedure..
Let’s not jump the gun before we know we have all the necessary bits for the job in hand..
So back on this. I have the print head in hand. And want to get it installed. Per the original instructions that came with the printer, its a simple matter to power on, open the top, and the print head holder moves to the middle. Only in my case, the print head holder does not move to the middle. It will momentarily move halfway into the opening, but slides right back to the right side under the cover.

Any chance you can share the instructions that will let me replace an existing print head in the holder with the new one?

Appreciate it!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
its a simple matter to power on, open the top, and the print head holder moves to the middle. Only in my case, the print head holder does not move to the middle. It will momentarily move halfway into the opening, but slides right back to the right side under the cover.
Just repeat the process that you have done before above, but this time pull the power plug as soon as the print head moves towards the centre of the carriageway, now wait half an hour and you can manually move the print head into the centre position and remover the head slowly.

Try this idea first and come back with your results..

Harbor Pictures

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Just repeat the process that you have done before above, but this time pull the power plug as soon as the print head moves towards the centre of the carriageway, now wait half an hour and you can manually move the print head into the centre position and remover the head slowly.

Try this idea first and come back with your results..
Big thanks! I have a printer with the right colors again! Here’s my takeaways…

1. Printing the test page did not clearly show me that a portion of my photo magenta nozzles were out of action. It was not until I did an alignment check that I saw that there were areas in that color that were not printing, I wish I had done that much earlier!

2. On installing the new print head, it was not until I did the first check print that it primed the new print head. Based on the first use install on purchase, the head primed on the top door closing - and took 15 minutes or so to be ready to print. So that’s what I was expecting. To my surprise it reported ready to print shortly after installing the new head and closing the top door. I crossed my fingers when I did the first test print hoping it would say “hey idiot - replace these 1/2 full cartridges”, and not burn out the empty nozzles.

3. As a Canon CPS member, I tried to troubleshoot this through Canon initially. The possibility of it being a bad print head never came up. We just circled around a software issue on either the Apple, or Adobe software update. That was disappointing

Glad to find this group and get the help I needed!