How to refill / reset a Canon Pixma MX860 cartridge?

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
I've had the same problem and am looking for a solution. I tried ARC chips but they showed full carts despite ink levels falling. Then I received a blue chip resetter with the same results as you. The vendor then sent the red resetter but that also shows full carts despite ink levels falling.

The printer is a Canon Pixma MX860.

Since I turned off the Canon ink monitor before before resetting chips I'm wondering if there is something there that could be a problem, or is Canon smarter than we would like.

Regards,

Tom C

gonediesel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This news stinks. I just ordered a resetter from fillserv. cgmark your research is interesting and appreciated. GD

SubMan683

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Received my resetter from inkfilling.com and is an updated version of the Peach type that is show on their website. This is the new QE221 resetter. The best deal as mentioned in other posts is from Tales of Tamoor store on ebay at this link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Tales-of-Tamoor

This unit costs $32 with free shipping and has built-in safeguards and short circuit protection. Also has a removable base to replace the large CR 2032 battery if you ever need to. I use it on my OEM cart chips. There is no short flash followed by a steady flash on this new resetter. Just press down and about 5 seconds later you will get a steady light indicating your chip is reset. Works great and comes with a 6 month warranty.

nhendrix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So far it seems the only verified working resetter is the the QE221 resetter from inkfilling.com and on ebay
from Tales of Tamoor (thanks to cmkit and SubMan683, who have posted their success). vallejoboy got an
error message using the resetter from fillserv.com. And I am awaiting shipment of a resetter from
refillbay.com. I could be wrong (often am) but the pictures of the resetters on all sites seem to be the
same. Guess time will tell. I will post back when mine arrives. Could someone tell me if I need to wait
for my oem cartridges to be running low before attempting the reset? I haven't even started using
the printer yet so resetting (waiting for that steady light) shouldn't cause problems, right? Thanks to
anyone who can answer this.

(The picture shows the scans from the three sites noted in this thread...)

5622_canon_resetter_update.jpg

nhendrix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SubMan683
Yes, your pictures and those on ebay seem quite different
from the picture posted on inkfilling.com.
My shipment tracker shows my resetter is sitting in Portland
so I should have it in a day or two. I'll keep my fingers crossed
that it does as well as yours!
Thanks for the pictures! -Nick

SubMan683

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
nhendrix

In answer to your question, "Could someone tell me if I need to wait for my oem cartridges to be running low before attempting the reset?" No, you can reset at any time. In fact I would recommend as others have to reset at between 1/2 MT and upon receiving a low level warning. The tracking ability of the monitor software and chip is not very accurate and with my ip4700 when a low level comes up there is no ink left at all in the reservoir side, so I will try to reset and fill around 1/3 full. Hope you get a good one.

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nhendrix...

I like visuals its to the point! Very Helpful :)

Anyway to update you guys after trying to reset and literally re set the cartridge still no luck. Also at first I was getting U140 Cartridge not recognized and now I'm getting U150 Cartridge not recognize. I ended up buying another cartridge because I could not last a day with out a printer. The weird part about all these is that the resetter i got from fillserv is exactly the same as the one that SubMa683 has, at least according to the pictures that were posted.

nhendrix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SubMan683 said:
...you can reset at any time. In fact I would recommend as others have to reset at between 1/2 MT and upon receiving a low level warning. The tracking ability of the monitor software and chip is not very accurate and with my ip4700 when a low level comes up there is no ink left at all in the reservoir side, so I will try to reset and fill around 1/3 full. Hope you get a good one.
Thanks, SubMan683! This information gave me the confidence to run my cartridges through the resetter I received today from refillbay.com. And, Glory Be!, all went well. Every cartridge paused for a moment and then glowed red constantly for the 3-5 seconds they recommend. More relieving, once the cartridges are back in, no error codes, etc. Just that nice solid green "on" light!

Vallejoboy, thanks very much for the pictures too! It turns out my resetter is exactly like yours (see picture). It is a "uni-kit" and the main difference I can tell from the QE221 resetters that SubMan683 and cmkit have is this one is a closed box (cannot get at the battery to change it. Unless there is some way under that silver label on the bottom but I doubt it.). Oh, and the QE221, though a bit more expensive, does come with a "warranty". And because this is the same resetter as Vallejoboy's, it means there is high hope for gonediesel when he receives his resetter from fillserv.com.

Anyway, that still leaves the question of what happened for Vallejoboy. I hope you keep us posted. And remember if anyone is interested in this resetter from refillbay.com, if you do a google search for "Chip Resetter for Canon CLI-221 and PGI-220 cartridges" a sponsored link to refillbay will be at the top of the result page. That link will offer the 10% coupon code.). If I get a bit of time later I'll put a video up of this little gadget in action! -Nick
5622_uni-kit_resetter_for_canon_cli221_pgi220.jpg