How to refill / reset a Canon Pixma MX860 cartridge?

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
Sorry pharmacist, I'm not following your criticism. Are you saying the item on the inkproducts.com website is inferior to the one you link to? Is this resetter for the PGI-220BK and CLI-221, it doesn't seem so according to the link?

Regards,

Tom C

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The particular resetter mentioned by you is actually manufactured by Eweko (subdivision of OCP) and resets all cartridges. The one that costs 15 is made by Peach. I am not sure it will work for the regionalized PGI-820(Asia)/220(USA) and the CLI-821/221. So $80 is way to expensive for a resetter, but is not inferior.

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
twcinnh said:
d1hamby said:
I tried a CIS :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Continuous-ink-...cmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Toner?hash=item27aef7e63b
It did not work. I got this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/15P-PGI-220-CLI...cmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Toner?hash=item5ad4fbca90
It works perfect. The ARC is read just like a original except, you can refill it and reinstall it and it reads the actual amount if ink.
Can these cartridges be refilled and will the chip read the cart as full? (I have a Canon MX860.)

Regards,

Tom C
They have to be modified to be refilled. I drill a very small hole in the top and reseal it with a 4-40 set screw. You can get them from ebay. I was thinking of switching to a counter sunk head on a 4-40 screw to see if it would seal better.

AmbassadorDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
The particular resetter mentioned by you is actually manufactured by Eweko (subdivision of OCP) and resets all cartridges. The one that costs 15 is made by Peach. I am not sure it will work for the regionalized PGI-820(Asia)/220(USA) and the CLI-821/221. So $80 is way to expensive for a resetter, but is not inferior.
Hi Pharmacist,

The 15 resetter you reviewed is excellent, but a risk to obtain in the US. I was unable to find any confirmation that it works on the CLI-220/221. Peach will ship that one to the US, about US $27-32 which isn't too bad. Given the inkproducts update for a sub-$39, I'm planning to wait a few weeks to see what it is before risking one through Peach in the UK.

I agree, the available model at inkproducts ($82) and RJet-Tek ($76+s&h) is way too expensive.

The European continent has had better access for longer to a current generation chip resetter for longer and at a lower price. I'm hoping to see something better here in the US soon.

Take care,
Dave

AmbassadorDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ugh, inkproducts has their "less expensive" chip resetter available now, but not for "under $39". It's $49.95 and looks just like the Peach one. Makes risking $27-32 through Peach UK seem a little more interesting.

Ahh, decisions.

Take care,
Dave

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I too am looking for a resetter for my MX860 and I found this http://www.inkfilling.com/printer-canon-pgi-220-resetter.html but the description is misleading. still waiting for their response regarding information for this resetter. From the picture it looks like pharmacist's review http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4898 which may or may not work with the US PGI-220/CLI-221. Please give me some pointers on the subject, I need a resetter for my MX860 and if possible I need a reliable US retailer. Thank you! btw I'm new here but I have done my homework and read about refilling carts in this very informative forum.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
vallejoboy..

I have a resetter that works on CLI-8 and PGI-9 cartridges but wont work on PGI-520/220. Funny thing is it wont reset the PGI-9 gy cartridge but all the other PGI-9s work fine. I think Canon is playing silly buggers just to stop the resetters again. The newer the printer the more problems you get trying to reset. I am still looking to get a resetter just to do my PGI-9 grey.
:|

AmbassadorDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
vallejoboy said:
Hi, I too am looking for a resetter for my MX860 and I found this http://www.inkfilling.com/printer-canon-pgi-220-resetter.html but the description is misleading. still waiting for their response regarding information for this resetter. From the picture it looks like pharmacist's review http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4898 which may or may not work with the US PGI-220/CLI-221. Please give me some pointers on the subject, I need a resetter for my MX860 and if possible I need a reliable US retailer. Thank you! btw I'm new here but I have done my homework and read about refilling carts in this very informative forum.
Nice find. I gave inkfilling a call and they "checked with the vendor". They believe the description is correct, that their chip resetter works with both CLI-221/PGI-220 and CLI-8/PGI-5 cartridges. They did reiterate that the chips on the cartridges have to be OEM. I bit the bullet and ordered one unit, $34.95 + $4.50 S&H. Should have it sometime next week.

Now I just have to get the squeeze bottles and use up a cartridge. Then I can try it out with my MX860's CLI-221/PGI-220 cartridges.

I'll report back, although it may be a week or three.

Take care,
Dave