How to refill / reset a Canon Pixma MX860 cartridge?

AmbassadorDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is my first post to this forum, although I've been a lurker for quite a while now. This is a great place, I wouldn't be doing my own ink refills without it. The reason for my post is this, I've purchased a Canon Pixma MX860 and I'm looking for help on how to refill / reset the new CLI-221 / PGI-220 carts.

My previous printer is a MP760 (sadly failed) and I have some experience refilling its cartridges. From posts here, I see the MX860 has smaller, chipped cartridges. I plan to learn the 'German' method for refilling the OEM MX860 carts, which is frequently recommended here. What I can't find is how do you get around the chips?

I've tried to piece this together from various threads, coming up with three possibilities:

1. Turn off the ink monitor on the printer and be vigilant about monitoring the ink levels manually.

2. Replace the chips with auto-resettable chips and maintain power to the printer.

3. Purchase a chip resetter and reset the OEM chips with every refill.

(perhaps I missed a fourth possibility?)

The third option, a chip resetter, appears the 'best' desired solution, yet potentially unachievable today with the MX860 / CLI-221 / PGI-220.

I find one chip resetter (possibly by Artech) for these cartridges at RJet-Tek for $75.78. Yet I cannot find any reviews about this model.

Then there is the Peach resetter for the CLI-521 / PGI-520 carts, as well reviewed by Pharmacist. The trouble with it is a) it may not work with the US version of the cartridges and b) it may be very difficult to get in the US (I contacted the very nice Andreas Zenkel at tintenalarm.de who advised me they do not ship to the US).

So, what do those of you refilling MX860 printers do?

I appreciate any and all advice here, Canon has sure made refilling this newer model more difficult than the MP760!

Thanks,
Dave

ornurse362

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The least expensive, immediately available option is exchanging resettable chips to your empty Canon cartridges and using the German method.

http://inkproducts.com/ has after market cartridges with top filling ink ports and resettable chips; conveient but more expensive. Inkproducts also says they are or will be testing a chip resetter for the CLI220/PGI221 . The target was the end of January but that seems to have slipped a bit.

My experience with the auto reset chips ..... they work but you have to pay attention to your printer status monitor. When the printer or the on-screen status monitor says a cartridge is low, you need to exchange the cartridge/refill it immediately. In other words, follow the instructions!

Otherwise, the ARC will reset very shortly thereafter and you might think you have a full cartridge but the cartridge soon empties fully and you might burn out your printhead.

AmbassadorDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to know inkproducts is looking at a 220/221 resetter. I'll keep half an eye on their site for an update.

The auto-resettable chips give me pause, seems like a fair bit of work to still have to monitor fairly vigilantly.

I think for now, I'm going to run through the ink the printer came with, save the empty cartridges, buy another set (or two), and then use the German method to keep 2-3 sets full. That way I have one set in the printer, and another set always ready. I'll turn off the ink monitor for now and keep watching for a working 220/211 resetter for the best of both worlds. As you said, least expensive and immediately available. $75 is a lot to find out if that one US 220/221 resetter works.

I'm a little more gun-shy about refilling this time because I think I may have burned out my MP760's printhead when either an ink cartridge dried up or the printhead got clogged.

Thanks,
Dave

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I use little 1/8" set screws for the plug on my cartridges so I can unseal and reseal the opening easily and completely.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
d1hamby..

What happened with the CISS ?. Why didnt work..

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The printer gave me U140 error, I think, sent them back. Apparently it was the wrong chip for the MX860. I don't have that much experience with chips yet.

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So, what is everyone else doing for their CLI-221 hacks?

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)