Horizontal lines on magenta HP 60 cartridge after refill

Sash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I was initially having issues with yellow not printing at all after refilling this cartridge, however in the midst of troubleshooting that issue (which I ended up eventually finding the solution to), the magenta started printing with white horizontal lines in it. I haven't been able to fix it since. I know the cartridge is full of magenta ink, and I've tried cleaning the printhead by dipping it in boiling water, wiping it, and attempting to add 2 CCs of ink. I've also attempted cleaning the printhead with alcohol and as well, I've attempted running the printhead cleaning procedure from the software that came with the printer. I've attempted pushing the magenta ink through by pushing air into the sponge while not allowing any air escape from anywhere but the printhead (that's how I ended up getting the yellow ink to start flowing again). Also, I've attempted leaving the cartridge in the printer for a few hours with the sticker on, and when that didn't help, I tried leaving it overnight in the printer with the sticker off. None of this has helped. I look forward to reading back any suggestions.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What brand of ink are you using?

After all the fighting I've done with my c309a, It has trouble with magenta.
It will seem to work ok after initial fill, head clean, etc. But it starts banding half way through a small picture, has white streaks sometimes at the beginning, sometimes the end, or not at all on the self test quality check.

I am on third head, all have had magenta problems.

I used both refillable carts which work ok with other colors, an oem xl cart I refilled, and CW refilled cart. The only thing I have not tried is a new oem cart.

Since 3 heads have had trouble with magenta, I was beginning to wonder if it was the ink I use.
Trouble is, I already bought a pint set of all colors :(.

I've just been trying to get up the courage to buy an oem cart without my wallet noticing...

Sash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I purchased my refill kit from a company called IP Imaging (ipimaging.com seems to be their website).

The magenta was printing perfectly for me prior to fixing the yellow issue :-/

Sash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I ended up going to an Inkjet Island location at one of the malls to see how much they'd charge to fix my cartridge. The tried cleaning it with some of their fancy equipment and told to me that the printhead is likely damaged since the pattern looks good. They said that what they tried was all they could do to help and to give it a try at home, and if it didn't work, there wasn't much else they could do.

I ended up buying a new HP cartridge from another store (brand new, non-manufactured) as one of the sales reps was telling me it was quite a bit better (and $5 extra I guess isn't that much more), saying that the quality was quite a bit better on the HP original. Anyhow, I tried the refilled cartridge and the issue persists, so I guess I must've damaged it somewhere along the way. Will try refilling the new one once it gets empty to see if I have similar issues with it.

LeoKesler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If the new cartridge, original, works correctly, your printhead is OK. And if the original works, I think maybe the problem is with the air outlet (or inlet, the superior hole) of the problematic cartridge. Maybe it is clogged or not fully open.

Sorry for my bad english.

Sash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The printhead on the HP 60 cartridges is built-in on the actual cartridges, so I don't see how the new cartridge would change anything in terms of the old one when it comes to the printhead :-S

Your English is fine, BTW :)

LeoKesler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ops, because of post of nerful1 (#2) , I was thinking about the C309 and not the HP60. Sorry.