Hi there, First post, first question! Clogged Pixma pro-1

kaicoenen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-1
Hi there, if I may, I need some help.

Today I picked up a Canon PIXMA Pro-1. It's a used model, and the test print the previous owner tried to make only shows magenta and a tiny bit of cyan. He used to use cheap aftermarket ink cartridges. I have cleaned the machine today. Used paper towel to damp the ink cushions, Used paper towels to clean the thingy's (nozzles?) to which the cartridges connect, and fixed an error 500. Busy day. But now comes my question:

Since the printer is clogged. Should I get genuine cartridges from Canon and try a cleaning cycle? Do I need to get cleaning cartridges? Or do I need to clean the print head?

I really hope I can find some help here! Thanks in advance.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I really hope I can find some help here! Thanks in advance.

Hi kaicoenen, the printer sounds in a dreadful state, and trying to print from it in that condition can only cause more damage to the print head, if it is not already damaged, it is only safe to print nozzle check when you don’t know the printer.

Using aftermarket inks wont damage the printer, ink is ink, and buying all new OEM cartridge at this point is a bit fool hardy, and cleaning this printer internally is also fool hardy, The Pro 1 is a printer you never attempt go inside it without having first hand knowledgeable.

The thing do would be to check the levels of the ink on screen and buy new aftermarket carts for any one that below 50% then remove all the cartridge and vigorously shake them all and then put them back into the printer.

When you’ve done that run 1 normal head clean and print a nozzle check then examine that for missing inks, and then post it up here on the forum, that would be the best start, and don’t do anything else to the printer, till you get more advice..

P.S. This printer has teeth and is not afraid to use them…

kaicoenen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-1
Hi kaicoenen, the printer sounds in a dreadful state, and trying to print from it in that condition can only cause more damage to the print head, if it is not already damaged, it is only safe to print nozzle check when you don’t know the printer.

Using aftermarket inks wont damage the printer, ink is ink, and buying all new OEM cartridge at this point is a bit fool hardy, and cleaning this printer internally is also fool hardy, The Pro 1 is a printer you never attempt go inside it without having first hand knowledgeable.

The thing do would be to check the levels of the ink on screen and buy new aftermarket carts for any one that below 50% then remove all the cartridge and vigorously shake them all and then put them back into the printer.

When you’ve done that run 1 normal head clean and print a nozzle check then examine that for missing inks, and then post it up here on the forum, that would be the best start, and don’t do anything else to the printer, till you get more advice..

P.S. This printer has teeth and is not afraid to use them…

Thanks for the reply. I’ve ordered a new MBK aftermarket cartridge. I’m going to continue testing on Monday. I’ll keep you posted. The error 500 was caused by my own doing. I gave the MBK cartridge a good squeeze and pulled of the sticker. That triggered an error I guess. After pulling out all the cartridges the printer functioned again. So using caution I will continue trying to fix the problem.

This morning I detached the print head and cleaned it with home made cleaning solution (Alcohol, tiny bit of dishwashing soap and distilled water). Since the previous owner told me he had set the printer aside for more than a year I suspected clogging in the print head. After I get my new cartridge I can try a new nozzle test after flushing. I'm pretty positive that I can get this machine running again!

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This morning I detached the print head and cleaned it with home made cleaning solution
I asked you not to do anything that might render the printer inoperable, but you still went ahead and attempted to clean the print head externally, and I can say is good luck with your endeavours because you’re going to need them..

The Pro 1 can take care of all its own cleaning and clogging procedures without the need to interfere with it, I just hope the printer doesn’t retaliate on you..

kaicoenen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-1
I asked you not to do anything that might render the printer inoperable, but you still went ahead and attempted to clean the print head externally, and I can say is good luck with your endeavours because you’re going to need them..

The Pro 1 can take care of all its own cleaning and clogging procedures without the need to interfere with it, I just hope the printer doesn’t retaliate on you..
Just to get this out of the way, I got the printer practically for free. I want to learn how the machines works that’s why I took it apart. If it fails on me before I can fix it it won’t be a big problem!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
When buying a second hand printer you can have several cases:

1. experienced seller sells printer with problems
2. inexperienced seller sells printer with problems
3. experienced seller sells printer in working condition
4. inexperienced seller sells printer in working condition

The inexperienced buyer should avoid 1 and 2 even at a low price and risks to pay too much in 3 and 4.
An experienced buyer avoids case 1, can do bargains in case 2 and 4, and pays little attention to 3 because of the on average too high price.

Last edited:

kaicoenen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-1
so......did it work?

It did, I had a great nozzle check, but, after the second cleaning cycle I got an b500 error. The waste tank was full. While trying to work out how and what happened I managed to kill the printer, I tried to move it from one side of the room to my desk, and me and the 31kg printer fell on the floor! It is officially dead now. So, I’m in the market for something new.
What do you guys recomend? I was looking at the image prograf-1000 or the image prograf-300. Especially the last one because of ink prices!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Shit happens.

I would insist to look for a second hand PRO-10 or PRO-10S.
The PRO-1 did not print A2 either and the PRO-10 is very easy to refill and maintain.
Except for 2 additional greys it uses the same inks, so unless you are a B&W aficionado you won't see any difference.

kaicoenen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA Pro-1
Shit happens.

I would insist to look for a second hand PRO-10 or PRO-10S.
The PRO-1 did not print A2 either and the PRO-10 is very easy to refill and maintain.
Except for 2 additional greys it uses the same inks, so unless you are a B&W aficionado you won't see any difference.
I’m planning on making fine-art prints, starting off with working for a few friends and later on maybe start my own print shop. That’s why I started looking into the prograf series. Is the 300 that “not so special”?
Keep in mind, I work at Kamera Epxress. So, I can’t get discount on printers!

Latest posts