German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ghwellsjr said:
One of our most prolific members, Websnail, sells everything you need here.
Hey, I only fathered one child! :)... All the others are just unfounded rumours and speculation to besmirch my good name...

... Oh! Wait, you mean about my posting... *blush* ;)

Thanks for the referral though ghwellsjr...

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks websnail. Now read the small print re 364 Carts and note you can only use German method with the XL version. Unfortunately all my C/Y/M are standard size. So I turned to the Intec method which works well but of course the HP 5380 still tells me I am low on ink except for PHOTOBLACK. this XL cart was out of the printer for at least 2 months so I thought likely useless. Soaked the outlet in Inkjet cleaning fluid for 2 hours. dried it filled it with Inktec ink presto the printer shows this cart is full. How can i replicate this desirable result again. Tried with Cyan for 1 hour as cart was only just taken out but this did'nt work. I now need to obtain some XL carts without buying expensive O.E.M. ones or re-usable ones and use squeezy bottles. Intec state you can only use their product in original carts. Anybody got experience of re-usable carts ?

furstrated

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong, are you saying not using the cart for at least 2 months will reset the chip? or something to that effect?

barfl2 said:
Thanks websnail. Now read the small print re 364 Carts and note you can only use German method with the XL version. Unfortunately all my C/Y/M are standard size. So I turned to the Intec method which works well but of course the HP 5380 still tells me I am low on ink except for PHOTOBLACK. this XL cart was out of the printer for at least 2 months so I thought likely useless. Soaked the outlet in Inkjet cleaning fluid for 2 hours. dried it filled it with Inktec ink presto the printer shows this cart is full. How can i replicate this desirable result again. Tried with Cyan for 1 hour as cart was only just taken out but this did'nt work. I now need to obtain some XL carts without buying expensive O.E.M. ones or re-usable ones and use squeezy bottles. Intec state you can only use their product in original carts. Anybody got experience of re-usable carts ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
furstrated said:
correct me if im wrong, are you saying not using the cart for at least 2 months will reset the chip? or something to that effect?
It's possible the printer memory only remembers so many previous cartridge chips before they drop out of memory and can be re-used...

That's a WAG (wild assed guess) though... :cool:

kingmar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've a quick question about the German refilling method.

So this morning I've tried it for the first time, and all seemed well... until I realised late that my needle didn't go between sponge and bottom of cart, but through the plastic that separates the sponge and the ink tank!

Is my cartridge ruined because I've put all these small holes in the barrier between the two?

If not, how do I fix the hole or at least make sure my needle goes in the small gap rather than through the plastic barrier?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't see how you can fix the hole. Just let us know how the refilled cartridges work. I think the only possible problem could be that the cartridge emits too much ink and spills out inside the print head so keep an eye out for that.

Are you using Canon original cartridges? What printer do you have?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
kingmar,
To have done what you seem to be saying you did would take a very sharp needle and a good bit of force to pierce the plastic barrier. If the needle entry hole is drilled correctly the needle just slides along the bottom of the cartridge and rather easily enters the spongeless chamber. Don't force it. I don't think that one extra small hole in that barrier will cause a problem. The original opening is actually rather large compared to a needle diameter.

Steve W.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
on30trainman said:
. I don't think that one extra small hole in that barrier will cause a problem. The original opening is actually rather large compared to a needle diameter.

Steve W.
No it wont. I quite often end up doing this when I cannot "find" the ink reservoir exit slit.Not very hard to do if you are using 2" medical sharp needles. The size of hole you make is no different than the hole you made to gain access from outside the cart in the first place, and that does not seem to leak to any appreciable extent. Another thread dealt at length with the ability of the hole to leak and the majority of opinion came down to that no extra sealing was warranted.

kingmar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick replies: I was getting worried for a while there.

@ghwellsjr
I'm refilling original Canon PGBK520/CLI521 carts. I've a MP540 printer.

@on30trainman
Spot on: as pharmacist advised in the first post, if there's resistance, turn slowly and don't use undue force...
It took me a while to realise that the needle went through the plastic and not the slit. I could never see the slit properly, but it was only on my near empty PGBK that I noticed the couple of millimetres you get to push it through.

@All

I'm reassured, thanks for the advice. I think I might have drilled my holes too far down, thus forcing me to bend the needle a bit when inserting.