German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SpideRMaN..
I too filled and used a blue resetter on PGI 9 cartridges when they ran out of ink while still showing half full. A bit of a bummer, so I dumped the cartridges and got replacements and am about to try the new ones on my next print job..

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Can you reset PGI-9 cartridges (pigment cartridges for the Canon Pro 9500) with a blue resetter ? Never heard about this...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
furstrated said:
i have been readin back and forth between this thread and the hp564 refilling threads and the more i look at it, the canon and hp cartridges are similar from the tab in the front above the ink nozzle to the clip part. the only difference i see is the placement of the chip and that the hp564 looks taller than the canon's. I have also been looking at my hp 564 cartridges but cant physically compare co i dont have the canon carts.
can anybody who has both carts confirm if they are similar physically from the length, the placement of the front tab, to the placement and size of nozzle and the clip.
I wanna refill my hp 564 carts but with the carts being opaque, i thought about using canon's because they are see through. Ill just transfer my cart's chip to the correct position on the canon if it will fit.
also checking my c309g's printhead and the cartridge receiver looks very much like the canon's, similar resolution too of 9600x2400, except that the hp's is removable.

edit:
went to the local store and had a canon mp560 demoed to me. The canon also has a removable printhead that you have to put in after you first open the box.
the printhead assembly looks so very much like the one on my hp c309g. Both have 2 printhead nozzle set on the underside which i assume are for the black pigment and the photo c/m/y/k. Size of the print nozzle are exactly the same.

I think ill try and buy a set of the carts used in the mp560 and see if it fits in my c309g
Are you mad ? Buying carts for the MP560 and see if this fit in a C309G ???
Note: if you want to refill the the HP 564 cartridges, take care you only buy the 564XL cartridges. The standard capacity 564, included with the printer CAN NOT be refilled by the German refill method, nor by drilling a hole in the ink compartment, because there is NO PHYSICAL connection between the ink compartment and the sponge chamber !!!

furstrated

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Not really mad but the canon bci-3/5/6 are practically similar to the hp 564 except that the canon's are transparent
im just gonna get 1 of the dye bci and 1 of the pigment black cos it has a larger nozzle and see if it fits
if not i can always sell it or give it away
but if it fits, all's well and good
i have chips from my hp564s so ill just transfer em or stick em in a piece of plastic and put em in the printhead so i dont have to swap chips with carts
will post back here for report on whether they fit or not

pharmacist said:
furstrated said:
i have been readin back and forth between this thread and the hp564 refilling threads and the more i look at it, the canon and hp cartridges are similar from the tab in the front above the ink nozzle to the clip part. the only difference i see is the placement of the chip and that the hp564 looks taller than the canon's. I have also been looking at my hp 564 cartridges but cant physically compare co i dont have the canon carts.
can anybody who has both carts confirm if they are similar physically from the length, the placement of the front tab, to the placement and size of nozzle and the clip.
I wanna refill my hp 564 carts but with the carts being opaque, i thought about using canon's because they are see through. Ill just transfer my cart's chip to the correct position on the canon if it will fit.
also checking my c309g's printhead and the cartridge receiver looks very much like the canon's, similar resolution too of 9600x2400, except that the hp's is removable.

edit:
went to the local store and had a canon mp560 demoed to me. The canon also has a removable printhead that you have to put in after you first open the box.
the printhead assembly looks so very much like the one on my hp c309g. Both have 2 printhead nozzle set on the underside which i assume are for the black pigment and the photo c/m/y/k. Size of the print nozzle are exactly the same.

I think ill try and buy a set of the carts used in the mp560 and see if it fits in my c309g
Are you mad ? Buying carts for the MP560 and see if this fit in a C309G ???
Note: if you want to refill the the HP 564 cartridges, take care you only buy the 564XL cartridges. The standard capacity 564, included with the printer CAN NOT be refilled by the German refill method, nor by drilling a hole in the ink compartment, because there is NO PHYSICAL connection between the ink compartment and the sponge chamber !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Can be: but the chip is attached at a completely other area (on the bottom for the 364) and not at the corner as in the case with the Canon CLI-521 cartridges. I hope this will not cause the ink valve from being lifted up a bit, causing air to be sucked into the print head.

furstrated

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i was thinking something like this http://inkproducts.com/PDF Instructions/HP Chip board Inst001.pdf
and the bci cart is perfectly cornered unlike the cli so it might have no problem pressing the chipboard with chips into the contacts
also taping the chips into the contacts might work too, of course until the resettable chips come out, theres no way the printers gonna measure the ink correctly, thats why it would be easier to have transparent carts like the bci

pharmacist said:
Can be: but the chip is attached at a completely other area (on the bottom for the 364) and not at the corner as in the case with the Canon CLI-521 cartridges. I hope this will not cause the ink valve from being lifted up a bit, causing air to be sucked into the print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Pharmacist..

As I said I used non oem cartridges with the pro 9500 and the resetter worked with them but they werent great with ink levels i.e. showing half full when they were empty. I have reset canon PGI 9 cartridges and with the problems I had with the non canon cartridges I didnt actually check to see if they monitored the ink levels any better. I wasnt great with the refilling of the canon cartridges so that didnt help eider and had to whip them out. I now have in a new set of oem cartridges and plan to refill them when empty this time keeping a good eye on them. In the mean time I got two new sets of replacement cartridges (all 20) from efillink and am in the process of testing them as well.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Since I use Canon carts, there is no problem with checking the ink level visually, but if they switched to an opaque cart it would it present a real problem?
Weigh a filled cart on a digital kitchen scale, then figure our the amount/cc/weight of ink to squirt into it to refill.

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is really easy to sharpen a syringe needle by using a coarse sharpening stone.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi I'm a Newby super presentation any idea where I can get the 2" needles in the UK. And has anybody yet come up with a method of rechipping the 364 cartridges ?. My Printer HP Photosmart C 5380. just done my first refill (convential in top) found the large syringe quite unwieldy. The squeeze bottle idea looks better.