German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

pyrogeorge

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why the refilling from the top of the cartridge is not preferred?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pyrogeorge said:
This thread only explains the German refill method as an alternative way of refilling not instead of the original top fill method.

When refilling your Canon cartridges you can choose to use which ever method that is easier for you
and if its the original top fill method or German method its simply down to choice, no preference given.. :)

BigN

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for this method of refilling carts. As finding a supply of the needles, bottles etc in the UK was difficult I am passing on MehodeElectronics.com in London who have these bits. Hope this helps other Canon users.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
BigN said:
Thanks for this method of refilling carts. As finding a supply of the needles, bottles etc in the UK was difficult I am passing on MehodeElectronics.com in London who have these bits. Hope this helps other Canon users.
The best source that I have found in the whole of the UK to get all of your refilling supplies on-line is
http://www.octoink.co.uk

Happy Refilling.. :)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
pyrogeorge said:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=26612#p26612

Read this post carefully to realize the advantages of the German method vs the top fill. I have exactly the same experiences with the original poster of this thread.

The most important advantage to me is that since I switched from the top fill method I don't purge my cartridges anymore.

pyrogeorge

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried to refill it but i need larger needle because don't insert at compartment.
Any ideas where can i get this needle?

edit.
I have Compatible cartridge,can i refill it with german method or need original cartridge?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
panos said:
The most important advantage to me is that since I switched from the top fill method I don't purge my cartridges anymore.
Interesting. Do you know why? I'm trying to figure out why this should have any effect at all, unless you are injecting some ink into the sponge(?).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pyrogeorge said:
I tried to refill it but i need larger needle because don't insert at compartment.

edit.
I have Compatible cartridge,can i refill it with german method or need original cartridge?
If youre using the German refill method then youll need 50 cm / 2 inch needles.
Now put your location into your profile that it will make it easier to say where to go to get the right size needles.

I would not recommend the use any of compatible cartridges for refilling simply because OEMs are the easiest and best.
But if you still want to go ahead and refill the compatible carts then use the top fill method only
because with compatibles it is not that easy to get the needle through to the reservoir side of the cartridge using the German method..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pyrogeorge said:
To use the Durchstich refilling method you will need a needle that is at least 50 mm or 2 inches in length. The gauge should be at least 18. More than 21 gauge and you will need more patience and hand strength to inject the ink. Either blunt or sharp tipped needles work properly. Post your country of origin and forum members will be able to direct you to where you can purchase the correct needles.

You may try any method you would like with any cartridge but I have no idea how your specific compatible will perform. Canon OEM cartridges are the best to use but you may find a compatible that won't have ink flow issues. When you use a compatible there are no guarantees of success either in the refill method used or performance while printing.