German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think the best thing i just think if to buy the virgin cli 221 oem canon catridge and the new oem canon cli226 catridge or any aftermarket catridge chip that is resettable and swap the chips from the cli226 to the cli221.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Will this German method work for Canon cartridges PG 810 and CL 811? PG 810 is pigment black and CL 811 is tri-color cartridge. Both are opaque (can't see the ink) and comes with Canon printer MP 258. I wanted to check to know how to refill these carts. Also does anyone have experience in using CISS with these cartridges?

Thanks in advance.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
This is how the CL-811 cartridge is built:

-top view:

-side view:

This is how a BCI-6 cartridge is built(the type of cartridge for which the german method is designed for):
For more pictures visit http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=40438#p40438

On CL-811/PG-810 the printhead is integrated in the cartridge and there is no separate ink compartment, so it's preety much different than the PGI, CLI, BCI...
You can se the method for refilling you cartridges here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc09PM6g9Nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ6jAIz957Q

Regarding the ciss... it's not worth it. Been there, tried that, failed big time.
First of all, these printers are not made for a big workload, so there is no need for a ciss.
The cartridges are not perfectly sealed, so you will have to make sure they are (modify them). The three compartments of the CL-811 have to be perfecly separated from each other or you will have cross-contamination. The ciss-cartridge system must be well balanced or you will have either ink starvation ( burned nozzles) or leaking ink (cross-contamination). The cartridge carriage unit can't take the stress those ciss tubes induce on it, so you will have to execute printhead alignment often.

In conclusion, I would't recommend using ciss on this printer. Too much time, effort and money spent with very little chance to make it work. I would rather recommend buying a printer that uses separate cartridges for each color, spare set of cartridges (OEM) and good quality ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Good thread and very well put Tudor and I couldnt agree more with you,
but will your words of experience fall on deaf ears..:hide

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am sorry -- I had mistaken PG 810 and CL 811 for the separate ink tanks for the latest Canon models.

Obviously, my points would make no sense as these printhead integrated cartridges do not have an exit port.

I will delete my last post.

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you Tudor. I will not go for CISS as it is not worth it. I have already bought the MP258 printer and hence can't go for individual carts now. Too bad I didn't know about this site before buying the printer. I was also looking at Epson TX110/TX121 (both had individual carts for each color) but decided on Canon instead.

I will refill as suggested and when it is time for next printer, I will be wiser in making a better choice.

@The Hat - The words of experience will not go waste (or fall on deaf ears) at least in this case.

I have written to InTec if they have any distributor in India. Has anyone have any experience with inktone (http://orderinktone.com/Home.html) refill inks, which is available here.

pyrogeorge

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nice tutorial but i have a question.
After removing the needle no ink leaking from the ink outlet hole?
Did you hot glue it?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
No ink leaks out. Most people leave the hole open. The sponge keeps the ink in. Some cover the hole with a piece of aluminum tape to keep the cartridge from drying out.