Florida MG7720 Print problem...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
they may not have everything you want for the 571 carts
I think you mean "271 carts" as the OP is in North America.

There is also another option to use for refilling and it’s called a CISS system
Also the option of refilling by dripping ink via the ink outlet port into this cartridge. I would recommend neither approach for this cartridge.

Here is a video on how to refill the compatible carts and the second is on refilling the OEM carts, you can see the are worlds apart and require a total different approach altogether.
Once the OEM cartridge is prepared for top refill, a one time job, then the procedure for refilling is the same as the aftermarket cartridge every time you refill.

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
No.

Yes.

Not all aftermarket cartridges, chips or vendors are alike. Substandard ink is one thing but a leaking aftermarket cartridge, or one that fails to deliver ink to the print head, will ruin your day and possibly the printer. That said, I have no personal knowledge of the supplies you linked but other forum members might. There may be information already on the forum. Try a search on "refill

Unless you get a specific recommendation from either a trusted friend, acquaintance, or member of this forum I would see if the supplies from Precision Colors works for your printer as the owner is a member on the forum and has an excellent business reputation here. Of course there will be other reputable and good performing supplies elsewhere which others can chime in on.

Concerning a chip resetter... it is always desirable to refill a Canon OEM cartridge if possible. The chip resetter that has a finite number of resets may or may not make sense to your wallet and the ARC chips may be preferable.

Another thing to consider is if the 270/271 OEM cartridges are completely opaque - meaning there is not even a sliver of a window of transparent plastic to gauge ink liquid level in the spongeless side of the cartridge - then either a substitution of a different model OEM Canon cartridge with transparancy if possible (requiring swapping of chips) OR the use of aftermarket cartridges is warranted.

You can refill the fully opaque cartridges using weights to guide milliliters of ink to inject or guess fill amount with a toothpick dipped in the refill hole of the cartridge - similar to how the fuel tanks were refilled on the Convair CV-300 that crashed and killed members of Lynyrd Skynryd (fuel gauge not working).

Choices!

Thanks for the advice. You're right. The OEM carts are black plastic. Can't see anything on the inside. Just for the heck of it I used my Dremel tool and disassembled one (Cyan) last evening. Interesting. If I decide to refill the OEMs then I will use the Dremel to remove the plastic plug in the filler hole. In the meantime i went to Best Buy and bought two complete sets of cartridges (1 set = 5 271s and 1 270, 6 tanks in all for each set.) That will last me for a while. In the meantime I will pencil out the cost savings, if any, of buying retail vice refilling the OEMs and buying the refill kit, chip resetter, etc. I am going to take your advice and avoid buying aftermarket carts. I am also going to call Precision Colors and seek their wise counsel.

As to the October 1977 Convair accident there seems to be some misinformation in the Wikepedia article on the Convair 240/300/340/440/580 aircraft and identifying the CV-300 as the accident aircraft. The official NTSB accident report identifies the aircraft as a Convair 240. The 240 had two R-2800 CB-16 engines, the CV-300 had series had the R-2800 CB-17s. As did the CV-340 which was used by United back in the day. The NTSB clearly identifies the engines as the R-2800 CB-16 engines and the frontpage of the report says CV-240. Here's a link to the report:

http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR78-06.pdf

Best

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
am going to take your advice and avoid buying aftermarket carts.
Aftermarkets cartridges should be approached with caution but not necessarily avoided, especially if there is a good source selling a known entity such as Precision Colors.

If you are going to refill the OEM Canon cartridges then you may want a chip resetter if you desire to maintain automatic ink level monitoring by the printer. 100 or 150 resets for $30 will still afford significant cost savings of new OEM cartridges after your first couple of refills depending on initial refilling start up costs. Plus, you may experience the addictive satisfaction of DIY'ing.

there seems to be some misinformation in the Wikepedia article
Well, that wouldn't be the first time! You are correct. That's what I get for copying and pasting.

I read the NTSB accident report in the past and have watched videos of passenger recall of the events. Sad. IIRC, engine issue leading to running the fuel mixture rich and a non-functioning fuel gauge which ultimately led to miscalculating fuel supply 10 minutes out from destination. That could have been Aeorsmith, but they passed on using the aircraft. I would think with today's regulations that this would not happen. The aircrew paid the price by being the first to die. "Oak tree your in my way."

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
you'll need to use the XL size
There appears to be "regular" sized 270/271 cartridges for retail sale. Do the chip resetters only work with the XL sized cartridges?

I would want the larger sized cartridges to decrease the frequency of refilling, but is there something else about the regular sized cartridges resulting in a need?

Maybe there is time for the OP to exchange his recent purchases for the XL size.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but is there something else about the regular sized cartridges resulting in a need?
All compatible carts are XL size, but the printer only comes with OEM setup carts and they are next to useless for refilling, because they only hold about 4 ml, hence a NEED...

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
There appears to be "regular" sized 270/271 cartridges for retail sale. Do the chip resetters only work with the XL sized cartridges?
I would want the larger sized cartridges to decrease the frequency of refilling, but is there something else about the regular sized cartridges resulting in a need? Maybe there is time for the OP to exchange his recent purchases for the XL size.

I contacted Canon by phone and email and asked some questions about the capacity/differences of the Setup, Standard and XL CLI-271/PGBK-270. I got the same information back from both the person I talked to on the phone and the person who emailed me. What they said was...

"Regarding the different ink tanks, the Setup ink tanks have roughly as much as standard ink tanks, and are marked "setup" for manufacturing purposes. They are not intended for resale. The XL inks are filled to produce ~ 2 times as many prints per tank as the standard-sized ink tanks. The volumes are:

PGI-270 PGBK - 15.4 ml (Std.) / 22.2 ml (XL)
CLI-271 BK - 6.5 ml (Std.) / 10.8 ml (XL)
CLI-271 C - 6.5 ml (Std.) / 10.8 ml (XL)
CLI-271 M - 6.5 ml (Std.) / 10.8 ml (XL)
CLI-271 Y - 6.5 ml (Std.) / 10.8 ml (XL)

I also just got off the phone with a person at Precision Color. I called PC to see if and/or when they might have a chip resetter for the 270/271 carts. He preceded to tell me that there will be one for sale by PC in the near future but in the meantime they have discovered an issue with the CLI-271Y (yellow) cartridge. It seems that mixing OEM yellow with aftermarket yellow (regardless of who makes it) is causing the ink to start to gel after 4-5 refills. He highly recommended that I buy their aftermarket cartridges to replace the OEM Canon ones. They tested several diffrent manufacturer's products and came up with one that has clear sides which you can see through and are fitted with true autoreset chips that will reset themselves to full when the printer has driven the chip down to empty. Precision's website also says that their Auto Reset Chips will retain the indicated ink levels even when the printer is turned off and power is cycled. There is no need o keep the printer on at all times anymore. They work just like OEM chips except that they can reset themselves and do not require a resetter.

Well, there you have it. It seems as though the refilling of the 270/271 carts is not as simple as it sounds. The search for knowledge goes on. Do you use aftermarket carts and what has been your experience with them?

Best

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
I would think with today's regulations that this would not happen.

Another similar accident happened earlier in 1970. Take a look at the Wichita State University football team plane crash on October 2, 1970. A chartered Martin 404 airplane crashed into a mountain eight miles west of Silver Plume. Near the construction site where the Eisenhower tunnels for Interstate 70 were being drilled. The flight was was being operated for the purpose of transporting the Wichita State University football team from Wichita, Kansas, to Logan, Utah. The report is here; http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR71-04.pdf

Instead of one DC-6 which wasn't available at the last minute the team was split up into two groups and put on two different Martin 404s. Both refueled in Denver. The Captain of one chose to fly the flight planned route from Denver North to Laramie Wyoming and then West to Logan. The other Captain chose to take the rest of the team (the best players, coaches and wives) on a sightseeing flight by flying straight West out of Denver, up the new I-70, over the continental divide where the tunnels were being built while pointing out points of interest on the ground (old ghost towns, the new I-70, Georgetown, Silver Plume, etc.)

The crew found themselves boxed in a canyon, at high altitude, at an altitude where the plane couldn't climb anymore and was unable to get turned around in an aircraft that was 5,190 pounds over the maximum permissible takeoff weight at Denver, and 2,665 pounds over the maximum certificated takeoff weight at impact.

As in the case of the Lynyrd Skynryd October 1977 accident it became apparent to the FAA that the leasing, maintenance, airworthiness and determination of operation control of aircraft being leased and used for commercial purposes (for hire) was being exploited by less then scrupulous people. No one, as it turns out, had operational control.

In the early1980s the FAA published a new FAR 91.23 Truth-in-leasing clause requirement in leases and conditional sales contracts.

That rule, still on the books almost 40 years later, requires leases such as those signed by Wichita and Skynrd to contain a substantial amount of information including who actually owns the aircraft, who maintains it, when was the maintenance performed, who are the crewmmembers, when were they last trained, checked, and qualified, and so on. And all that has to be made available to the FAA prior to the flight and maintained for years after.

I would tend to agree with your statement that one "would think with today's regulations that this would not happen" but it has happened and will, most likely, continue to happen. Owners, pilots, charter operators, etc. break the rules everyday. Not always intentionally but they do. Most of the time, but not all the time, they get away with it. But in the case of Wichita and Skynrd no one knew any of the answers required by today's regulations and the ownership, maintenance and flightcrew issues was anyone's guess.

Best

Capt Rick

FAA Aviation Safety Inspector (ret.)
FAA Certified Accident Investigator (ret.)
Canon MG7720 Operator (Current) ;)

P.s. There are still bits and pieces of wreckage still at the site. The site can be accessed by following the roadside memorial markers off Interstate 70 at milepost 217. I was up there a few years ago and a heavy piece of one of the engines was still there.

Last edited: