Florida MG7720 Print problem...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you use aftermarket carts
No. Only OEM Canon. BUT, if I had your printer I would probably purchase the aftermarket cartridges from Precision Colors for their convenience as long as they are compatible with your printer model.

The OEM Canon 271 cartridges are completely opaque making a direct visual confirmation of refill amount impossible. There are simple ways to get around this, such as using weights of known full and empty cartridges to compare against the cartridge in need of refilling and then adding ink to the full weight. A scale is obviously needed. Not a big deal at all but is another step or two in the refill process.

The video The Hat linked shows refilling just by adding ink until you see ink from the refill hole. The fail safe feature is you let the cartridge rest upright to equilibrate pressures inside as needed via passive dripping of ink out the cartridge. This is a common step in various other refilling methods. However, you are flying blind when refilling these opaque cartridges. On the flip side, OEM cartridges are thought to be the best for durability and function.

It should be said that there are numerous people refilling these opaque cartridges and things go well. So, it is user comfort. The process is simple and reasonably quick whichever cartridge you chose.

I would not have issue with purchasing a chip resetter from a non-Precision Colors vendor if going the OEM cartridge route. I would still buy my ink from Precision Colors and various other supplies, such as his Squezy Refill system. Not having to fiddle with syringes is a time and potential mess saver.

Concerning the "Yello Gello" situation with OEM Yellow and certain refill inks (and even water), you can avoid this by not refilling an OEM 271 Yellow cartridge. Instead, use a compatible aftermarket cartridge or a different 271 non-Yellow color cartridge that has been flushed with water and then refilled. A swap of the Yellow chip onto the "new" OEM cartridge will be required.

Refilling for your printer is simple and easy. Once you have done it a time or two you will be a pro. If you can land a plane and walk away then you can refill a cartridge..

My recommendation... IF the ARC-chipped aftermarket cartridges are compatible with your printer model then get the appropriate Squezy Refill Kit. Refill over a stainless steel sink or other suitable covered work space for easy drip clean up and obtain a pair or two of medical or medical-like gloves (unless ink stained fingers are not a concern).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
route from Denver North to Laramie Wyoming
I have flown that route a few times via Frontier Airlines while a student at the University of Wyoming. Made for some interesting flights. By interesting I mean not fun.

I forwarded your post to my uncle who follows flight news. At 92 years of age he no longer pilots aircraft but his love for flying and prop planes is undiminished.

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
If you can land a plane and walk away then you can refill a cartridge..

Ha ha, so one might think.

By the way, in furtherance of our discussion concerning Canon CLI-271 and PGBK-270 cartridges, I emailed OctoInkjet yesterday and asked the following:

I live in the U.S. and have a new Canon MG7720 printer that uses Canon CLI-271 and PGBK-270 cartridges. Does Octoinjet market inks, tools, chip resetters, etc. for those cartridges? It appears that the same printer and ink has different names in the EU, could you please clarify.

Here's the response I got;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin (OctoInkjet) <support@octoink.zendesk.com>

The only thing we're missing from our GI-270/CLI-271 refill bundles for North America are the cartridges. I've already got a query in to a recycling firm/supplier in the US but it's literally only in the last few hours so not there yet.

We do have the necessary RESETTER unit ready though and all the other bits are non-zone specific so it's really a case of sourcing the cartridges yourself at the moment or waiting until we have a solution ready to go.

In terms of options... There's certainly refillables now becoming available and I've no idea how they're going to work out but I can tell you that we spent the last 2 years or so, selling the refillable cartridges for the earlier series 550/551 (250/251 equivalents) and have had considerable problems with the ARC (Auto Reset Chips) as well as issues with the sponge quality in the Pigment black cartridges. From a business point of view we've had to deal with far more support issues due to the refillables than we do any other product so switching away is going to be a positive move for us.

Right now, if you're in no hurry, I'd hold off until things are a little clearer... possibly ping me again in a couple of weeks when I should have some more idea of logistics for the North American market.

The zones are probably best demonstrated with this info...
• PGI-170/CLI-171 - South America
• PGI-270/CLI-271 - North America
• PGI-370/CLI-371 - Japan
• PGI-470/CLI-471 - Russia, Africa, Middle East
• PGI-570/CLI-571 - Western Europe, UK
• PGI-670/CLI-671 - Oceania
• PGI-770/CLI-771 - Asia
• PGI-870/CLI-871 - China
• PGI-970/CLI-971 - Korea

The key is the initial numeric digit which is specific to each zone... ie: 2 for North America, 5 for UK/Europe.

Inks remain the same, it's just the pricing, market and thus profit that's zone specific...

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
I have flown that route a few times via Frontier Airlines while a student at the University of Wyoming. Made for some interesting flights. By interesting I mean not fun.

I forwarded your post to my uncle who follows flight news. At 92 years of age he no longer pilots aircraft but his love for flying and prop planes is undiminished.

Nice of you to forward that on to your uncle. There's a group of alumni, family, friends and others who make a periodic trek to the crash site to remember those who died or were injured in the accident. They make short speeches, lay some flowers and view the wreckage that still remains. There's a short YouTube video that that someone made back in 2010. The link is; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwzzOQWE3LQ Some of the wreckage still there includes a lot of engine parts, landing gear assembly, etc. You can see some of it in the video.

As I said I was up at the site some years and it looks much as the same as it did 45 years ago. The trees and brush have grown back but otherwise it looks much the same. Still big pieces laying around.

Best

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Martin (OctoInkjet)
He is also a trusted vendor of refilling supplies. I recommended Precision Colors because it is in North America and the shipping fees might be less. PC has in the past done its own custom blending of some ink colors that may give a better color match to OEM, and, they have free custom made ICC profiles available for a variety of paper-ink-printer combos that can really make a printed image "soar", flying pun intentional, although it does not appear there are custom ICC profiles for your printer on the web site.

IIRC, and it may not be for every new Yellow ink, Octoinkjet did not, or does not, have the issue of Yello Gello when refilling the OEM Yellow cartridge with their inks. If you were to purchase inks from Octoinkjet it might be worthwhile to inquire on this beforehand.

Regardless, both PC and Octoinkjet are respected suppliers of quality refilling supplies so purchase with confidence.

You certainly have learned a great deal in a short period of time. I think you will have fun refilling.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Some of the wreckage still there includes a lot of engine parts, landing gear assembly, etc.
I thought crash investigators scooped up every piece in order to reconstruct and figure out what caused the crash.

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
I think you will have fun refilling.

Might be kind of fun, save a buck or two and get to know more about inkjet printers. I load my own shotshells for similar reasons. Save a few bucks, control the weight and size shot that goes into the hulls, etc.

Best

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
I thought crash investigators scooped up every piece in order to reconstruct and figure out what caused the crash.

Not always. In the case of the Witchita State accident it was pretty clear why the accident happened. The crew made a very wrong decision to go on a sightseeing flight in the mountains west of Denver. Operating the aircraft at too low an altitude, in a high density altitude environment, over terrain that was climbing faster than the aircraft was capable of. The engines and props were taken away for further examination by Pratt & Whitney (looking for internal failures, failed spark plugs, bad wiring harness, heavy sooting in the exhaust manifolds, anything that may have caused degraded power, etc.), some of the cockpit instrumentation would have been taken by the NTSB, stuff like that. But big chunks of broken metal, like a landing gear assembly (for example), would not necessarily have been taken. The investigators can tell from the control settings in the cockpit (e.g. gear handle up or down), the gear itself (e.g. landing gear still in the up position at impact) etc. so they don't need to take the wreckage anywhere.

That's not always the case however. You'll remember that in the case of TWA 800 the investigators spent a year retrieving every scrap of metal they could and reassembling it in a hanger in order to determine what may have caused the explosion (and where it happened.) Ditto the American Flight 191 accident in Chicago in 1979 which was an uncontained engine failure on take off and subsequent hydraulic failure. In that case a number of systems and components failed and the NTSB (and FAA, Douglas, GE, etc.) wanted to know why. Ordinarily the loss of one engine on takeoff is not a problem even if it falls of the airplane (which they're designed to do.) But have a failed engine rip off a big section of wing, cause almost total loss of the hydraulic and electrical system, and loss of control to the extent that the pilots had no flight controls, was serious enough that, in this case, the investigation teams collected every bit of evidence they could.

FAA Administrator Langhorne Bond grounded all 138 DC-10s in service in the U.S. about 2 weeks later. The order was lifted 37 days later. Several foreign civil aviation authorities (UK, France, Japan, etc.) followed suit and all but a handful around the world also were grounded. The spelled the death knell for the DC-10, public confidence was lost, passengers were asking not to fly on the aircraft. In 1989 McDonnell Douglas shut down the DC-10 production line; in all, only 446 were ever manufactured. Most were converted to cargo operations.

Best

P.s. The American accident was the fault of American's maintenance procedure not the design of the airplane. Maintenance did not reattach the engine to the pylon correctly nor in the manner prescribed by Douglas and GE. They used a "quicker" method using a forklift (in of itself a violation of the regs) that caused elongation of the bolt holes which created too much vibration. That's why the FAA ground ll the aircraft for a month. Every operator had to remove every engine to measure the bolt holes (6 of them on each engine as I recall) and then reinstall the engine.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Some of the wreckage still there includes a lot of engine parts
I wondered why they would leave "engine parts".

The engines and props were taken away for further examination
That's what I figured would happen.

I gather you do not need every available engine part to make your determination.

Speaking of flying, my uncle worked at an airport when he was young and used to fly home for lunch, landing in his backyard. Pretty nice!

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
Landing in a backyard is always possible provided one has enough "backyard" to do so. Landing in between a pool and a barn however can make a subsequent departure problematic. Especially when your left wing has disappeared and your right wing is in need of some repair. :rolleyes:

plane4.jpg