Florida MG7720 Print problem...

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
Greeting folks. New to the forum. Have a new Canon PIXMA MG7720 printer that uses CLI-271/PGI-270 ink tanks.

Am interested in learning to refil them and will seeking advice/help from the forums in the near future but will scan existing threads first.

Best
Capt Rick (Airline Transport Pilot DC-9 B-757, B-767
Sarasota Fl

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hello CAPT RICK, welcome to the forum.

I do not see a chip resetter for your chipped cartridges, but there appears to be ARC chips (Auto Reset Chips) available, either already attached to aftermarket cartridges or individual chip that you will have to swap onto your Canon OEM cartridges.

A supplier of quality refill inks and supplies that many North American forum members use is Precision Colors. He does sell ink, refill supplies and aftermarket cartridges fitted with ARC chips for the 270/271 printers such as http://www.precisioncolors.com/C5Eb.html.

While your specific model is not listed on Precision Colors, an email to him (from Precision Colors) or a PM (from this forum using his user name Mikling) concerning your model number and whether his supplies will work for your MG7720 should get an answer. You can also try Googling "Canon MG7720 chip resetter" or "Canon MG7720 ARC chip" or something along those lines for other solutions.

Otherwise, you will have to override ink level monitoring eventually if you refill, meaning no more automatic tracking of ink levels and you will have to be vigilant to not let the printer print without ink in a cartridge. Ink is used to cool the nozzles in the print head. Without ink the nozzles may burn and the print head become irreparably damaged.

Are you a QB?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Even if PGI-270/CLI-271 resetters are not availlable from precisioncolors (yet?), they do exist. For instance see this, this and this. Many if not all of these resetters are limited to 100 or 150 resets. After that you have to buy a new resetter. But resetters for the European PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridges exist in both limited and unlimited versions, so maybe an unlimited resetter for the North American cartridges will soon be available.

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720

I do not see a chip resetter for your chipped cartridges, but there appears to be ARC chips (Auto Reset Chips) available, either already attached to aftermarket cartridges or individual chip that you will have to swap onto your Canon OEM cartridges.

Are you a QB?

I did find one company that markets a chip resetter for the PIXMA MG7720. It's inkproducts.com.

Here's the info;

https://www.inkproducts.com/
https://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/product.php?productid=1439&cat=46&page=1
Canon 270, 271 cartridge refill kit with Ultra Pro True 5 Color Ink & The Latest COC Smart Re-setter™ With Refill Tools
https://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/product.php?productid=1588&page=1

The chip resetter is limited to 100 resets according to the website.

Thanks for your reply. It's a whole new world for me. Refilling/resetting ink tanks that is. Still lots to learn.

Best

Capt Rick C
Airline Pilot (Ret.)
DC-9 B-757 B-767

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:thumbsup

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720

Are you a QB?

Thanks for the links. Very helpful. Interesting that all the chip resetters I've seen have a limit on the number of refills, usually 100 or so it seems.

No, I am not a member of ye Anciente and Secret Order of Quiet Birdmen. I was invited to a meeting one time (very secretive crowd) but was not interested in joining. I do belong to the Wings Club. A New York city based organization that is comprised of avition professionals and businessmen. The Club has fund raisers and awards scholarships for aspiring airmen. Right now participating schools are Dowling College, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology.

Best

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I do belong to the Wings Club.
Nice! Good people.

My uncle has been a QB for years at the Cleveland hangar. On Friday meeting nights he makes the trip across the Cuyahoga river to attend, no small feat in winter in his birch bark canoe. ;) Not sure how secretive it is. Seems mostly a social club where story telling reigns. Then again, I'm not a member, so...

CAPT RICK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG7720
I love birch bark.....

upload_2017-3-5_15-55-52.png

But am more into aluminum...

upload_2017-3-5_16-0-30.png

That siad, I noticed on a lot of websites as well as Amazon, Ebay, etc. that there are lot of refillable aftermarket cartridges with auto reset chips. Do you have any experience using those and do you think that's a viable alternative for the CLI-271 tanks?

Best

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you have any experience using those
No.

do you think that's a viable alternative for the CLI-271 tanks
Yes.

I noticed on a lot of websites as well as Amazon, Ebay, etc. that there are lot of refillable aftermarket cartridges with auto reset chips.
Not all aftermarket cartridges, chips or vendors are alike. Substandard ink is one thing but a leaking aftermarket cartridge, or one that fails to deliver ink to the print head, will ruin your day and possibly the printer. That said, I have no personal knowledge of the supplies you linked but other forum members might. There may be information already on the forum. Try a search on "refill

Unless you get a specific recommendation from either a trusted friend, acquaintance, or member of this forum I would see if the supplies from Precision Colors works for your printer as the owner is a member on the forum and has an excellent business reputation here. Of course there will be other reputable and good performing supplies elsewhere which others can chime in on.

Concerning a chip resetter... it is always desirable to refill a Canon OEM cartridge if possible. The chip resetter that has a finite number of resets may or may not make sense to your wallet and the ARC chips may be preferable.

Another thing to consider is if the 270/271 OEM cartridges are completely opaque - meaning there is not even a sliver of a window of transparent plastic to gauge ink liquid level in the spongeless side of the cartridge - then either a substitution of a different model OEM Canon cartridge with transparancy if possible (requiring swapping of chips) OR the use of aftermarket cartridges is warranted.

You can refill the fully opaque cartridges using weights to guide milliliters of ink to inject or guess fill amount with a toothpick dipped in the refill hole of the cartridge - similar to how the fuel tanks were refilled on the Convair CV-300 that crashed and killed members of Lynyrd Skynryd (fuel gauge not working).

Choices!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@CAPT RICK, These CLI-271 OEM carts are a bit of bitch to work with, so most use the compatible refillable cart with ARC chips, but they too have their anomalies.

Here is a video on how to refill the compatible carts and the second is on refilling the OEM carts, you can see the are worlds apart and require a total different approach altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUDBCNsqVKk
http://www.octoink.co.uk/news/411/Video-resources-&-player-updates.html

The most expensive cart to start refilling is the OEM by far but it will give much better ink control over a longer period, and the cheapest option may fall short of your expectations and end up being more expencive.

To refill compatibles, you’ll need ink and the carts that is all, but to refill the OEM cart you’re going to need purchase the XL version cart, the ink and a resetter.

There is also another option to use for refilling and it’s called a CISS system, but this is the poorest option for use in any Canon printer, your nearest and recommended ink supplier is Percisioncolor, they may not have everything you want for the 571 carts, but they come darn close...