First time refilling opaque cartridges CLI-526/PGI-525

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Recently I replaced my MP640 by an MG6150 (anyone know how to change your forum name?) with the opaque cartridges. I used to refill the MP640 using the German Durchstich method and it was my intention to swicth to the top filling method for the opaque cartridges, with a toothpick as a dipstick to measure inklevels during refilling. I ordered a top refill kit from Octoinkjet, containing a chipresetter, squeeze bottles with ink, blunt needles, silicone plugs, carpenters owl and some more stuff.

In the end, I decided to not go for top filling but use the German Durchstich Method instead. I prepared for the worse, but actually there were no problems at all and I did not spill a drop of ink. Some of the stuff in the refill set that I ordered was not very well usable with the Durchstich method, but that's not Octinkjet's fault. I clearly ordered a top refill set and that's what I got.

Here's the report on my first refill of opaque cartridges using the German Durchstich method:

* First, I invested another euro 15 in a scale with 0.01 grams accuracy and a tare switch. Offtopic: I got the best advice on high precision scales on forums about certain controlled substances (of which we have a lot in the Netherlands);

* I reset each cartridge prior to doing any refill attempt. Dont want to waste time on a cartridge with a chip that wont reset when youre finished refilling it.

* I then used a one mm drill to drill a hole right in the middle of the >> pp << mark on the cartridge. I drilled the holes slightly downwards, for easier access to the gap between sponge and ink chambers

* I found that blunt needles are not suitable for the German Durchstich method. They didnt go through the sponge, but merely pushed it aside. Luckily I had still some 5 cm sharp needles that did go through the sponge easily. I drilled the holes slightly downwards, for easier access to the gap between sponge and ink chambers.

* Squeeze bottles are not very suitable for use with the German Durchstich method. I used syringes instead. I will explain below why.

* I hadnt weighed the cartridges when they were still full and unused as I initially was going to top fill. In this forum I found 20 grams for a CLI and 34 for a PGI cartridges, so I calculated with these numbers.

I tried several scenarios: weighing the cartridge, calculating the amount of ink needed, weighing the empty syringe and then filling it with the amount of ink needed, etc etc. I will continue the report by describing the method that I found to work best for me.

* Weigh the cartridge and calculate the amount of ink needed. For example, if a CLI cartridge weighs 15 grams, you need 20-15 = 5 grams of ink.

* Weigh the needle (only the needle, not the syringe) that you are going to use to refill the particular cartridge and use the tare button to reset the scale. When you remove the needle from the scale, the scale will indicate the negative weight of the needle.

* Connect the needle to the syringe and suck up a little bit more millilitres than the needed amount of ink in grams. For example, if you need 5 grams of ink, fill the syringe with about 6 ml. This is why I prefer the syringe over the squeeze bottles. With the prefilled syringe you have a better indication of about how much ink to inject.

* Now, turn the cartridge upside down and stick the needle into the cartridge, make sure it goes all the way through the sponge into the ink chamber. You can tell whether youre far enough by the length of the needle thats still outside the cartridge. I was also able to see the needle through the little plastic window on the cartridge bottom.

* Inject about half the amount of ink needed. Turn the cartridge over and wait some time to allow the ink to be sucked into the sponge. Turn it over again and inject the rest of the needed ink, but not all of it. In the example, above it would be about 4.5 of 5 ml.

* Disconnect the syringe from the needle, but leave the needle in the cartridge. I used a piece of tissue to absorb the ink thats still in the plastic part that connects the needle to the syringe. Now, weigh the cartridge. Because you used tare, you have corrected the scale for the weight of the needle thats still in the cartridge. Note: my scale auto turns off after 30 seconds of not being used, so every now and then I press it slightly to not loose the tare setting.

* The weight that is displayed is the actual weight of the cartridge plus ink and should (for the CLI cartridge) be 20 grams. Because you left the needle in the cartridge, its very ease to top off, or even suck out a little ink if you injected too much. Just reconnect the syringe to the needle.

* When the weight is close enough to the desired weight, remove the needle and return the excess ink to the bottle. I cover the drilled hole with a tiny piece of electricians tape as I dont print that much and I dont want the sponge to dry out.

Thats it. I found the process very easy to follow and I had no ink spills whatsoever.

I hope this report is of help to anyone who is in doubt whether or not to use the German Durchstich method for refilling their opaque cartidges.

Thanks for reading!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Congratulations and thank you very much for your report. The report is a good tutorial as well. Very well done :thumbsup

I have experience refilling the transparent previous generations of Canon cartridges, but I have only recently starting filling the windowed cartridges and simulated filling the opaque cartridges, by masking the windows using tape. The subject of refilling the opaque cartridges is also discussed in this thread; you may find something of interest: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7341&p=1

Your cartridge weights are very close to those I found by weighing the windowed PGI-x20/CLI-x21: PGI-520 PGBK: 35.3 grams, CLI-521 C: 20.3 grams, CLI-521 M: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 Y: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 BK: 20.4 grams.

I'm glad to see that the new cartridges can be refilled without problems using the German method, and that you only need to add a small digital scale to your refill tools, as the German method of refill is also my preferred method.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Interesting approach...

Just to ask... if you had a do over, what would you recommend as a suitable kit for this approach... I'm not wedded to the SquEasyFill system to the detriment of common sense by any means...

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Hi Martin, is that you?

Just a few thoughts.

* For the German Durchstich method I would recommend sharp needles from at least 5 cm. I couldn't get the blunt ones through the sponge;

* I used a 1 mm drill to make the hole in the cartridge. Didn't use the carpenter's owl because of its taper shape. However, I think the carpenter's owl would have done the job as well, I used the drill because I already had it;

* For clear cartridges, I expect the SquEasyfill bottles to work perfectly with German Durchstich. In fact, I was looking forward to using them because filling and later on cleaning six syringes is a cumbersome and sometimes messy task. However, I found that with opaque cartridges I want to have some (rough) indication of how much ink I already injected to prevent overflowing the cartridge.
Maybe after using the bottles a couple of times one will gain enough experience to know how much ink to inject, but I'm afraid when disconnecting the bottle from the needle, ink might spill.

I would be happy to try the SquEasyfill bottles with my next refill (I have them anyway), but for now I would say:

-> Top fil: blunt needles of any length with SquEasyfill bottles
-> German Durchstich with clear cartridges: sharp needles of at least 5 cm with SquEasyfill bottles
-> German Durchstich with opaque cartridges: sharp needles of at least 5 cm with syringes and a digital scale with d=0.01 grams

Hope this helps.

M

macbroom

I'm just wondering why you would clean your syringes? I also refill 6 carts at a time and my needles have caps and I assumed that the small amount of dried ink would be caught up in the sponge or fibre element in my case.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
MP640 said:
Hi Martin, is that you?
Last I checked... ;)

Just a few thoughts.

* For the German Durchstich method I would recommend sharp needles from at least 5 cm. I couldn't get the blunt ones through the sponge;
Yeah... it wouldn't hurt although most folks generally manage the blunts ok, the tricky bit is aiming it at the gap in the sponge/spongeless cartridge wall. Of course the reason I don't go that route as standard is the whole sharp needles -> customs potential upset.

* I used a 1 mm drill to make the hole in the cartridge. Didn't use the carpenter's owl because of its taper shape. However, I think the carpenter's owl would have done the job as well, I used the drill because I already had it;
Trying to imagine a squawking bird of prey trying to make a hole in a cartridge ;) but yes, it does work. A drill would be better but the potential for wrapping the sponge around the drill bit (if they push the drill too far in) for most folks is just way too high so the awl is a comfortable compromise.

* For clear cartridges, I expect the SquEasyfill bottles to work perfectly with German Durchstich. In fact, I was looking forward to using them because filling and later on cleaning six syringes is a cumbersome and sometimes messy task. However, I found that with opaque cartridges I want to have some (rough) indication of how much ink I already injected to prevent overflowing the cartridge.
Maybe after using the bottles a couple of times one will gain enough experience to know how much ink to inject, but I'm afraid when disconnecting the bottle from the needle, ink might spill.
The ink level issue is the reason I don't recommend the German method for opaque cartridges. With the top fill you can easily use a "dip stick" style toothpick as an indicator or watch carefully for the ink level at the fill hole.

I would be happy to try the SquEasyfill bottles with my next refill (I have them anyway), but for now I would say:

-> Top fil: blunt needles of any length with SquEasyfill bottles
-> German Durchstich with clear cartridges: sharp needles of at least 5 cm with SquEasyfill bottles
-> German Durchstich with opaque cartridges: sharp needles of at least 5 cm with syringes and a digital scale with d=0.01 grams

Hope this helps.
Makes sense... Wonder if there's a good source for those scales? Worth considering I suppose... Thanks for the feedback.. very useful..

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
macbroom said:
I'm just wondering why you would clean your syringes? I also refill 6 carts at a time and my needles have caps and I assumed that the small amount of dried ink would be caught up in the sponge or fibre element in my case.
Hmmm, I never thought of that...

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
websnail said:
The ink level issue is the reason I don't recommend the German method for opaque cartridges. With the top fill you can easily use a "dip stick" style toothpick as an indicator or watch carefully for the ink level at the fill hole.
I agree. Wasn't too sure about how long the silicon plugs would last, though. In my MP640 I initially used top fill and secured the holes with self drilling phillips screws. Had to cut out the plastic cover inside with a dremel tool for the required top clearance. Didn't want to do that with the new MG6150 right away. That's why I reverted to the German method and it turned out to work fine for me.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Websnail wrote:
.. Wonder if there's a good source for those scales? Worth considering I suppose..
When virgin empty windowed cartridge become scarce and expensive, filling the opaque cartridges by weight could very well be the way to go, so I think a good digital scale could be a best-seller.

When filling by weight, it is useful to know the density of the ink. I think most people assume it is 1 gram/millilitre, like that of water. But do you know the actual densities of the IS and KMP inks from product data sheets?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PeterBJ
When filling by weight, it is useful to know the density of the ink.
I think most people assume it is 1 gram/millilitre, like that of water.
But do you know the actual densities of the IS and KMP inks from product data sheets
I am one of these people who use that simple equation of 1 gm = 1 ml and it works for me every time.
Yes ink does have different densities but we are talking about fractions of decimal points here not splitting the Atom.

I only put 14 or 15 ml of ink into my cartridges and if its over or short .00001 of a millilitre it wont make the slightest difference
as the quantities are so small anyway, near enough is close enough in my book..:)

websnail
Makes sense... Wonder if there's a good source for those scales? Worth considering I suppose...
As for stocking scales for sale I dont think you could source them cheap enough to even get your money back on resale..:(