First time refilling opaque cartridges CLI-526/PGI-525

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:

However I will now cover the air maze before I start, which Ive never done before,
so even an auld dog like me can learn something new on this wonderful great forum.. :)
I wouldn't change a refill method that has worked well for years, for the transparent and windowed cartridges.

I guess I could also have top filled the opaque cartridge successfully using your 75% method, but I found mikling's method more convenient, else I would have had to use much more gauging the ink level.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The methods now used and promoted by you and Tudor looked to be fool proof, so I didnt want to get them mixed up with the way I was refilling, yes it works fine for me but I was just trying to prevent the newbie refillers from getting it all wrong.

Phew it's safe to repost on here again thanks to Rob.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I see nothing wrong with that two or more different methods exist for top filling cartridges. I think instead of changing your refill method in the top fill thread, an added remark that an other method seems better for the opaque cartridges, followed by a link to Tudors instruction for top filling these cartridges will do. I haven't tried it yet but I think Tudor's method is more elegant than mine, with no messy probing the ink chamber with a toothpick.

I can only speak for myself, but I consider my method still experimental. As the only difference between the x20/x21 and x25/x26 cartridges seem to be windows or no windows, I think problems like these could reappear: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=59280#p59280 I think much more testing is needed, before I can claim that my method works reliably.

If you use the German method for refill, changes are also necessary if you want to use squeeze bottles instead of syringes. A syringe works equally well independent of orientation, a squeeze bottle doesn't.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Good points Peter and I will add that little extra to my top fill method.

I have noticed in Tudors pictures of the 526 carts in post #34 there is a prominent grove in the bottom of these carts thats not in the older clear carts; I wonder could that affect the German refill method in any way ? :idunno

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The Hat said:
I have noticed in Tudors pictures of the 526 carts in post #34 there is a prominent grove
in the bottom of these carts thats not in the older clear carts;
I wonder could that affect the German refill method in any way ? :idunno
It's not prominent. It's just a groove, like in cli-8, but wider.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is a mark on the bottom of the BCI-6s but it is not indented and doesnt enter the Reservoir side, however there are two deep groves in the CLI521 carts that go right up to the prism, is it similar with the CLI-525s, wait a minute, I have just noticed that there is a very small one in the CLI-8s also.:hide

The reason I brought this up was that PeterBJ reckoned that the German method is not as easy on the smaller cartridges as it is on the larger CLI-8s and I was wondering why that was..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
These grooves were introduced with the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation of cartridges, they are also present in the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 cartridges, and I think also in the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridges. Tudor cut open one of the opaque cartridges, so he can tell, I guess it is also present in the opaque cartridges. The purpose is to help establishing an ink bridge between the ink and sponge chambers. IIRC mikling explained this in a post a long time ago.

I think the problems with the newer cartridges and the German refill method are caused by deliberately(?) changed sponge properties, making the sponges more easily damaged by the needle. But I'm guessing. At least top filling causes no needle damage, so I think this method is better with the newer and more fragile(?) cartridges.