Fade-resistant bulk ink options for XP15000 (what combination)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You can screw off the top of the Epson bottles - you need some force or a plyer, and I use a long needle on a syringe which I poke into the ink hole of the Canon bottles, so no drilling etc necessary

crgrove

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10, Epson XP-960
Hi all, about two years ago I started refilling my XP15000 with third-party ink (Inktec from eBay, CMYKRGy). It resulted in severe colour differences compared to OEM, but after profiling (i1pro) it performs excellent. It does not clog or stain, works straight after power up even after 3 months of not using the printer and is really cheap.

The only problem is that the ink fades fast (especially on cheaper papers, but still) and the color balance is effected unevenly. Prints turn red after apx. three months, even when outside direct sunlight. Therefore, I am looking for an alternative in the form of affordable more OEM inks (e.g. Epson ecotank/Canon megatank).
The goal is extend the longevity of framed photos and personal archival (not requiring 100+ years, but decades would be nice).

What option would you recommend today, given I can do my own profiling equipment and risks of fading, clogging & print-head damage should be minimized?
  1. Canon GI53 (CMYKRGy), all the right colours, but it will be Canon ink in an Epson printer (a while ago Ink Stained Fingers kindly replied that this should be no problem).
  2. Epson Ecotank 114 CMYKGy + original Red 478XL cartridge (which is barely used, but frequently flushed when refilling, still way more expensive though)
  3. Epson Ecotank 104/105 (what is the difference?) CMYK + Canon GI53 R+Gy
  4. Any other inks/combinations?
Looking forward to your experiences and/or advice!
I've had good results with Precision Colors, a Canadian company that has a depot in the US for shipping. The owner, Mike, is very picky.
precisioncolors.com

MLS

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-15000
Yes, I've read quite some positive stories about Precision Colors, but is not available in the Netherlands. Besides that, OEM inks are stated to be better in terms of fading, so I pulled the trigger and ordered Epson 106 CMYK, Epson 114 Gy and Canon GI-53R. So, thank you for all the relevant input above and in other posts.

The only thing I'm still not certain about are possible long-term interaction effects of using a Canon ink between all those Epson-branded inks, i.e. discolorations from dye substances that interact with each other on paper over the years. Hopefully different dyes are quite inert to one another and paper types, ozone etc. will remain the decisive factor for a print's longevity.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm even mixing other Epson inks like 664 or 104 , not the 106. and other dye inks in small bottles before print, just to reduce the number of bottles I have in the cabinet, that's for printing internet/short term stuff with no regard to colors or longevity. I haven't seen chemical reactions since a long time with such mixed inks (there is something with some Canon yellow ink). Since most of these are fast fading inks prints look like it after a few years, but no different to those inks individually. They fade already in the dark, in sleeves, in albums, everywhere.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes, I've read quite some positive stories about Precision Colors, but is not available in the Netherlands. Besides that, OEM inks are stated to be better in terms of fading, so I pulled the trigger and ordered Epson 106 CMYK, Epson 114 Gy and Canon GI-53R. So, thank you for all the relevant input above and in other posts.

The only thing I'm still not certain about are possible long-term interaction effects of using a Canon ink between all those Epson-branded inks, i.e. discolorations from dye substances that interact with each other on paper over the years. Hopefully different dyes are quite inert to one another and paper types, ozone etc. will remain the decisive factor for a print's longevity.
I just bought an XP 15000 too and ordered a set of refillable cartridges and resetter (I do not like auto reset chips), so I can top the carts all at the same time and reset the chip so no cascading lost of ink. I will also use the combination of Epson 106 CMYK, Epson 114 Grey and Canon GI-53 Red to refill.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please let us know about your experience with such non-standard ink set , there could possibly be some color shifts or whatever else you find interesting to report.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes I will report back. I just ordered the resetter for the maintenance tank too and the Epson 106 CMYK, Epson 114 grey and Canon GI53 Red too. I am excited to experience the quality of the printouts. I will also make profiles with my colormunki and share them to those interested.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
A message to MLS, Ik zie dat je Nederlandstalig bent. Eventueel kan je me contacteren via PM en zal ik mijn ervaringen delen.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just installed the printer and the tiny size of the cartridges strucks me....The setup cartridges will be empty very soon. I will try to use the ink to print profiles on several types of paper. Refill ink and cartridges are underway.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I just installed the printer and the tiny size of the cartridges strucks me....
I made the same mistake when I choose the Pro 1, bigger cartridges yes, I taught great, but I was wrong to judge a printer on its cart size, the amount of disputes I had with that machine trying to get it to print the way I wanted..

It’s better to get a printer that works for you in all scenarios and not just be able to print beautiful photos on Canon paper, it didn’t like 3rd party ink, nor 3rd party paper, I spent most of my time twisting its arm to print properly.. Small carts are not all that bad…;)

Latest posts