Epson XP-600 and 800 series

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
doom2 said:
So i gather from both your findings/investigations that as a home print user and not a commercial re-filler/seller that the dribble refill method will never be an issue for me, even if this air valve thingie triggers and lets in air?
To be honest I've probably over thought the hurdles having had some quiet time to think things through a bit more so it's certainly looking like we have another refillers dream... :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There are ARCs and there are ARCs. Some will all the time and some won't after Epson's firmware is done with them.

Websnail, I'm confused why on one hand you'd agree that the intake of air on the Epson cart would allow ink to fall down to the bottom and then turn around and indicate that such an issue does not present itself on the PGI-9. Does this not contradict the same notion? Now I present to you the bladder bag cartridges from Wide formats and even the the Epson 3880 and Pro 1. Now take a look at those and you have to wonder why it was not necessary to have the outlet of the tank/cartridge at the bottom level. If you can explain that, then you might be able to come up a justification to your idea. Maybe you've forgotten that air is not supposed to be inside the PGI-9. If it has some, it is not supposed to be there. With an airless PGI-9 ink is trapped in the folds and creases.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Its ask the experts time.. :ya

Whats the difference in the 26 cart and the XL26 cart in relation to home refilling,
can they both be refilled just as easy, and finally is there a resetter for the OEM chip yet or lightly to be soon.
Here comes Christmas..:love

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
Its ask the experts time.. :ya
I think "expert" might be a bit of a stretch as we're all still feeling our way through... but...

Whats the difference in the 26 cart and the XL26 cart in relation to home refilling, can they both be refilled just as easy, and finally is there a resetter for the OEM chip yet or lightly to be soon.
Nada, nill, zip, zilch, nothing... for the T26 dye carts that's for sure. Not checked the larger pigment cart so can't confirm or deny there but suspect no difference...

So it is indeed a case of...
Here comes Christmas..:love

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Agree with websnail... I have the Initial setup carts that came with the printer with some octoinkjet ARC's on them and they seem to hold the same amount of ink as miklings XL carts did.

If i could refill them It was easy :p

There is a thread a little while back saying that they were now offering a chip re setter for the carts (excluding the setup carts)

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9013

Cheers D2

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So if I get myself a couple of these standard 26 carts I would be able to pull them apart and see what makes them tick,
I hate to think I was wasting my time if the XLs were somehow different.

If I find anything new and interesting in there then Ill come back with the news and see what you guys think,
If I do I might even be tempted to get myself one of these XP 600s to add to my collection..:weee

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As of this time the resetter does not work on the chips that have gone overboard. You have to retrieve and reset before the edge. I'd say most folks will at some time step over the edge and at that point a new cart will be necessary... this can get expensive for someone who keeps walking at the edge.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling
Youre putting me right off buying one of these printers, because I spend most of my time tripping into the Abyss .. :tongue

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I think the engineers at Epson have understood the weaknesses they put in the older generation chip is costing the corp revenue. I suspect marching orders on fixing the situation. Early ARC chips on these machines were eventually buried by firmware updates.. either a weakness in the implementing the ARC or revised Epson firmware to catch up and move one step ahead. The strength that Epson has is that networking and auto updates will help them over the users who don't know what ticking those boxes really means during installation.

As you can now see, the battles in the aftermarket is centered in the reset...this is something I had anticipated and I know there is old technology sitting around to make the mfrs winners. It is simply a matter of will and cost. It's close to a done deal if not already in some circles. Time will tell....Epson is in a sticky spot on this. They must allow refilling in some way to meet environmental laws and I can't see them allowing an override like Canon or else warranty claims will escalate. It will be interesting as to how the solutions unfold. Do remember that Epson's target is the CISS and the ready to use compatibles, not actually the refilling folks in this forum. We are small potatoes.