Epson XP-600 and 800 series

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have started to take apart the cartridges from these printers. The googled results of how these are refilled poses a key risk. The cartridge have a high chance of leakage.

The reason is that these cartridges are constructed with a bladder system very similar to the Canon PGI-9. Except that there are a few key refinements. The inclusion of an empty detect optical system, a valve system meant to reflate the bladder when it is empty thus restricting the ability to refill the cartridge. Gone are the secure and positive seals that Epson had used before. The flow of ink is handled by capillary action and surface tension. The cartridge to printhead interface is pure contact based.

The outlet covers seal in a similar fashion to the PGI-9. You should follow Epson's instructions and not dispose of these. These will come in handy when refilling but not for the reason you'd think.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/PGI-9_Internals.html

The first refillers of the PGI-9 were drilling holes and getting leaks at times. The same situation exists here as well. A digital scale will come in handy. I'll post further instructions as I develop and refine them. But I would caution to not drill if you can avoid it and no drilling is in fact necessary.

There are a couple ways of neutralizing the valve system so that an empty condition does not create the problems Epson envisioned.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mikling said:
I have started to take apart the cartridges from these printers. The googled results of how these are refilled poses a key risk. The cartridge have a high chance of leakage.

The reason is that these cartridges are constructed with a bladder system very similar to the Canon PGI-9. Except that there are a few key refinements. The inclusion of an empty detect optical system, a valve system meant to reflate the bladder when it is empty thus restricting the ability to refill the cartridge. Gone are the secure and positive seals that Epson had used before. The flow of ink is handled by capillary action and surface tension. The cartridge to printhead interface is pure contact based.

The outlet covers seal in a similar fashion to the PGI-9. You should follow Epson's instructions and not dispose of these. These will come in handy when refilling but not for the reason you'd think.
Disclaimer: I've not gotten my hands on an XP600 printer or cartridge yet so I'm only going on the videos and deconstruction images provided online at the moment.

That said, all the images I've seen seem to indicate a cartridge that has a static film over one side but nothing that would indicate a bladder similar to the PGI-9. Not disputing that something like it is there but do you have any images that show where these are?

As for the rest of it, it does look like they really did their homework, as discussed recently. The new cart to printhead interface really is going to upset the CIS folk.

Will share anything I learn this end, as/when I get that XP600/XP700 unit.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
websnail said:
That said, all the images I've seen seem to indicate a cartridge that has a static film over one side but nothing that would indicate a bladder similar to the PGI-9. Not disputing that something like it is there but do you have any images that show where these are?

As for the rest of it, it does look like they really did their homework, as discussed recently. The new cart to printhead interface really is going to upset the CIS folk.

Will share anything I learn this end, as/when I get that XP600/XP700 unit.

Now you've seen another image with no WAG. You can now see that the instructions posted on the internet about drilling follows the same path intially as the PGI-9...you can damage/pierce the cartridge bladder bag. The OEM cartridges are well made just like the Canon PGI-9. I have disassembled a few and am reverse engineering the finer points of this cartridge.

For long time Canon fans, after getting an initial defective unit ,this printer the XP600 is looking to be better than the latest crop of printers that Canon has introduced with the 250/251 carts. It is fast and allows CMYK dye ink printing as well as using true pigment ink for text. I am running this model through the ropes and it is trending up. We will need to keep our eyes open to this model. As long as you don't need rear paper feed it is everything you'd want in an AIO and nothing more...including its compact size.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Blimey!... Are you wondering about collaboration/patent sharing on this one?

That looks very, VERY familiar doesn't it... Completely understand your conclusion now...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Epson clearly has their targets on Canon's desktop category. If the carts refill as easy as the PGI-9, we might have a really good printer here, pending further testing.
I don't know if there was collaboration or whether a patent ran out but the right bits are there and so far it is proving to be a nice all around AIO printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I might just get me one of those cartridges next time I have to order some new OEM cartridges.
Just to see what makes it tick so to speak.. :weee

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi guys

Interesting cartridge design..

Several inquires on the XP 600 and 800 refillables

These are non OEM, "Epson wants me to say that, I don't blame them, this is how they make money"

4275_epsonxp600.jpg

Cheers

LJH

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
For owners of the both the 9000 and 9500, we know the bladder cartridges are better if they can be used.
Notice that there is a small hole next to the outlet pad on the OEM cartridge. Why is that there? Nothing of the sort appears on the aftermarket.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling said:
For owners of the both the 9000 and 9500, we know the bladder cartridges are better if they can be used.
The Epson printheads are likely to be more robust than the Canon type but I guess you can't rule anything out. Certainly, unless Epson has built in some tricks to their cartridge design (and you'd assume they have) then these cartridges would be a boon.

The trick may not be the cartridge so much as the chip. We need to remember that there's no history of Epson providing a "continue without warranty" option. Quite the opposite.

Notice that there is a small hole next to the outlet pad on the OEM cartridge. Why is that there? Nothing of the sort appears on the aftermarket.
Knee jerk reaction would be an air vent of some description.. and looking at the design, the more I think about it, the more that seems likely. I wonder if the vent kicks in when the cartridge is removed from the printer. Throw in a 1-way valve maybe?

I'll certainly be getting one of these carts and having a play very soon though..

One question to throw back though.. What is that metallic sticker on the inside of the cart wall? There seems to be no external purpose from what I can see of other cartridge images so an RFID chip or similar?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
That is not metal. It is plastic. It is a maze for breathing of the bladder inside the cartridge.
The interesting valve is not shown but is at the left side top corner of the cartridge. It is activated when the bladder hits empty.

What I will mention is the problems that the sponge based cartridge epson printers had when they approached empty. These go back ten years or more.... e.g. the 1270, 1280 ,870 etc. I'm not sure we want to approach these new printers with possibly the same issues. The introduction of spongeless cartridges put those problems behind us. I don't know if those will return with the aftermarket sponge based cartridges. What we do know is that the bladder cartridges when they can be refilled is a refiller's dream. I'm working towards that goal.

That little vent is a damper port.

and yes, I am testing the chips for these printers as well. They replace the OEM chips and the best thing is that those optical prisms DO work and prevent ingesting air into the printhead. I can tell you that when these printers ingest air, they behave badly. So a working is optical system is highly desired if you can have it and the OEM one does. Out of two printers I have seen three iterations of cartridges and the replacement printer had the latest cartridge design.

The starter cartridges have the piston displacement of the XL so it might be possible to extend the starter carts to XL capacity with either a simple refill or a little work. The Pigment black unit has half the capacity of the true XL, but is full size to the normal non XL.