Epson XP-600 and 800 series

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have standard chips. Ideally, you will want to use a standard with a cartridge body that holds more than the chip is tuned for. That way, the chip always calls for a reset even when the prism is still indicates ink. That is better than the opposite of the prism running out of ink but the chip says ink is still enough. Why the prior condition is better? because if you refill the cartridge with the chip still having more to go then when refilled, the prism is a go but the chip will still be where it was..low. So a reset will be forthcoming soon again with another disturbance. So you see, if the chip says empty when the cartridge still has ink, it will reset when the cartridge is refilled. My initial calculations indicate that the starter cartridges can be refilled to a standard volume but again based on what I am seeing, the 4 standard dye cartridges can be hacked into an XL capacity.

I have also come up with a method of getting rid of the ingested air without a freedom filler. I think this is beneficial because the caps on these carts don't seal as securely as the PGI-9s
A couple more days of testing and everything will be sorted.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mikling said:
I have standard chips. Ideally, you will want to use a standard with a cartridge body that holds more than the chip is tuned for. That way, the chip always calls for a reset even when the prism is still indicates ink. That is better than the opposite of the prism running out of ink but the chip says ink is still enough. Why the prior condition is better? because if you refill the cartridge with the chip still having more to go then when refilled, the prism is a go but the chip will still be where it was..low. So a reset will be forthcoming soon again with another disturbance. So you see, if the chip says empty when the cartridge still has ink, it will reset when the cartridge is refilled. My initial calculations indicate that the starter cartridges can be refilled to a standard volume but again based on what I am seeing, the 4 standard dye cartridges can be hacked into an XL capacity.
Can't argue with the logic...

I think you're short version is:
Better to have a conservative chip that calls "empty" before the actual ink runs out.

... which makes sense given the air issue.

One question then: How do these chips reset..

Is it:
1. Only reset when the chip reads as empty
2. Reset when the printer is powered off (In which case: Do the new Epsons have auto-power-off functionality?)

I have also come up with a method of getting rid of the ingested air without a freedom filler. I think this is beneficial because the caps on these carts don't seal as securely as the PGI-9s
A couple more days of testing and everything will be sorted.
Interesting... I got some of the Epson OEM clips for the 26xx's and had a look at the rubber/silicon seal.. Looking at them they have a pretty well defined indent from a cartridge so it looks like they could seal reasonably well and if not a thin silicon shim would do the job (although one would need to be made). Be interested to see that non-clip technique though.. I'll see what I dig up this end when I get the XP-600 here.

Oh and just to note a chip resetter is feasible and could be available for the OEM chips although not at ARC prices. My guess is that cost effectiveness on that would depend on how the reset process works for the ARCs, and more importantly how things pan out with the firmware (including downloadable/production updates) that might block ARCs.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I had word of a resetter near 6 months ago. Then my vendor told me that they were not stable anymore..meaning that the chip programming had changed. Maybe a stable or 100% functional one will be available. Also remember that there are 3 versions of the chips. A resetter will need to discern the three versions . So getting a resetter requires ALSO getting standard chips or XL chips which require the purchase of additional cartridges. Whereas if you got the ARC chip you could do well with the starter cartridges and icing on the cake is getting one pigment or text black XL and you're good to go.
So based on that logic, a standard ARC changeout chip is preferred at this point.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling said:
I had word of a resetter near 6 months ago. Then my vendor told me that they were not stable anymore..meaning that the chip programming had changed. Maybe a stable or 100% functional one will be available. Also remember that there are 3 versions of the chips. A resetter will need to discern the three versions . So getting a resetter requires ALSO getting standard chips or XL chips which require the purchase of additional cartridges. Whereas if you got the ARC chip you could do well with the starter cartridges and icing on the cake is getting one pigment or text black XL and you're good to go.
So based on that logic, a standard ARC changeout chip is preferred at this point.
Information I had was that the resetter was feasible with some reprogramming based on an T18 resetter but it's possible the different capacities were overlooked so I'll check.

Agreed on the ARC nudging ahead, especially when it comes to cost. Just wonder what firmware tricks Epson will have for foiling ARC's in the future... Having queried sources for the chips though it seems at present I can only source the standard chips in 1-time-non-ARC type whereas the XL's are predictably the ARC type. Nothing like a challenge.. :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It turns out that if the chip runs below a certain level, it will be neutered like on prior Epsons. This essentially means that you will need a new chip either you get a new cartridge or get an ARC. I will fathom to guess most will inadveetently allow this getting to low level to occur and thus the resetter option will not be good. It looks like the best situation is to use an ARC solution at this time.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Do they have a wet sensor that shorts out when the ink drop bellow it? I am only familiar with the R1900 carts which do have a wet sensor. You can refill then in certain way and reset the chips but if the sensor shorted the chip will not be recognized. Is this the same case here?
Joe

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman said:
Do they have a wet sensor that shorts out when the ink drop bellow it? I am only familiar with the R1900 carts which do have a wet sensor. You can refill then in certain way and reset the chips but if the sensor shorted the chip will not be recognized. Is this the same case here?
Yes... Sorry, I spotted the same old wetness sensor on the T26/27 carts as on the Claria type but got sidetracked and forgot to post up about it.

Thinking outside the box though, would there be a way to isolate the wetness sensor and maintain a faked connection for the original chip? Something for a different topic I reckon.

@Mikling... Agreed on the ARC's as the better option...

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
When I was experimenting with refilling EPSOM OEM carts, with the one way refill valves sold by Rjettek, I realized about the wetness sensor.
Just like with the ink prisms, which kick in when they detect no more ink, the wet sensor is probably either being kept cool when submerged in ink, but once it is exposed to air, it overheats and burns out, and breaking the circuit. This is only my theory and I am probably wrong. But regardless, it does indeed kill your cart. It is complete disconnected from the cart chip as you are still able to reset the R1900 chip, but it still will not work as the ultimate connection to the printer is through the wet sensor.
So what I did was to refill my R1900 carts before they reach about 20% from empty. Since I am refilling the actual OEM carts and I am actually filling them a couple of ml beyond OEM volume, I get a bit more leeway.

But with the Epson XP-600 and 800 you may be dealing with a different situation.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It looks like Epson has departed with the wet sensor in their new design. The Epson wer sensor is either resistance or capacitive. I am thinking it is likely resistive. If careless refillers get ink/liquid on the the chips or contacts in the carriage it will kick out an error.
The wet sensor circuit is likely more problematic and is expensive to manufacture relating to the parts count. The new cartridge is simplified for manufacturing by a whole lot actually.

Epson looks to have made the neutering of their ink chips once beyond a certain level as standard practice. ARC is in. There is insufficient space behind the chip front to allow a battery powered variant to be produced.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In more extended careful testing, I am seeing variations up to 15% between when a chip says empty and what was actually consumed. This will explain why there is leftover ink in cartridges in cartridges. Most times it is tighter than that but there are variations. The chip always runs out before the optical sensor is detecting empty and this is a good thing when refilling. On the OEM chips and cartridges, the optical sensor will make the final call on when it is truly empty.

One very significant observation with this model and maybe related to the cartridge is that I have not performed any head cleanings whatsover in the weeks of testing AND after a change or refill of one color, NO priming is performed. Occasionally a priming will be performed after a change but certainly not after every change. I will try and deduce the pattern of this event. This no priming means that the ink will last longer than expected and the waste ink pad is also extended as well.