Epson waste inks... error...

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
When you go to the Epson web site for the restart code will you also get the Epson firmware update that makes using CIS systems impossible? Just wondering!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Andrew1937 said:
I asked a question on another Printer Forum basically asking what happens to all the Waste Ink? The basic answer was that it either evaporates or just disappears.

Not knowing what really happens to the discarded ink in the Waste Ink Pads, I assumed these answers were correct and is what I wanted to hear, something positive. Until I came to this forum and read all the posts regarding Waste Ink.
It's amazing how many folks actually sincerely believe that to be the case but then in most cases they haven't actually seen the amount of waste ink generated or put 2 + 2 together to realise just how much ink is going to waste vs' appearing on their paper. Understandable mythology as a result but only to a point...

Usually the point is when an external waste tank has been installed and they get the whole bugged out eye thing you see in cartoons ;)

I come to the conclusion that the people who answered the inquiry on the other forum should look at some of the Waste Ink posts on this forum.
Something else to take from that as well... Those folks who responded may not know a whole heap of factual information and tend to like the sound of their own typing/opinion. Been guilt of that often enough myself mind but it never hurts to check so glad the intel has been useful before the ink decided to put in an appearance on your carpet or similar.. ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OutOFtheinkwell said:
When you go to the Epson web site for the restart code will you also get the Epson firmware update that makes using CIS systems impossible? Just wondering!
The firmware side of things is handled by a separate piece of software so you can't get the firmware as a download in its own right.

The key thing to remember is to check all the "Would you like to?" messages as the utility responsible will ask for your permission before completing the Firmware update. Complacency is not your friend in this instance.

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Is this Epson charging for this reset key? Or is it some hackers who hacked the printer?

I find it absurd that you should have to pay for this. Its bad enough the ink is insanely priced, we shouldn't have to be paying for a simple reset. Let alone a one time use reset. That is pure stealing.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
As long as you can provide a real serial # of your printer to EPSON while you are downloading the ultility, the serial # is free.
Utilities like WIC do require a Pay Per Use serail #
At least as far as I know.
You could search for the actual Adjustment Program for your printer model which is the tool that the techs will use to reset the waste counters.
I have then all for my printers listed below.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
tcool93 said:
Is this Epson charging for this reset key? Or is it some hackers who hacked the printer?
As per jtoolman... Epson are not charging anyone for any reset tools within North America. Outside of that they are not providing the tools at all, requiring customers to contact a service centre to discuss having their printer serviced. That's the official routine and usually the customer is encouraged to fork out anywhere from 20 up to 150 for this service, or simply advised to purchase a new printer.

The WICReset tool, and the iWIC Mac compatible version are a third party developed solution that do require a "key" that in turn requires payment of between 3 and 6 depending on where and how many you buy of them.

I find it absurd that you should have to pay for this. Its bad enough the ink is insanely priced, we shouldn't have to be paying for a simple reset. Let alone a one time use reset. That is pure stealing.
I can understand the resentment involved but need to address a few things.

1. Epson are effectively charging you a massive mark up for a "Service" or "Buy another one" for anyone outside their warranty and/or outside of North America

2. Paying anything to be able to reset a printer you've paid to own is pretty reprehensible but Epson are not budging unless they are forced to. Canon, etc.. don't offer the option at all!

3. Paying 6 for a reset and being able to continue to use your printer vs' an average of around 40 for a service is a no brainer once the righteous indignation and red mist have lifted so it's well worth sitting back, taking a deep breath and taking all the options in to consideration, especially when you take into account this article I wrote over a year ago:
http://www.wasteink.co.uk/5-reasons/

Granted I'm making money (allegedly I'm making millions... hahahahahahahahahahaha :p - good one!) out of the waste kit side of things but consider that the WICReset folks are providing a solution to something that Epson are going out of their way to avoid doing so for the bulk of its customers. All that development time has to be paid for and frankly they could get away with charging closer to 13+ ($20+) if they wanted so taking it all into account, it could be a whole lot worse.

Just ten penneth worth + change of thoughts to keep in mind...

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Couple of things I watch out for. The first is the new firmware Epson may load, I'm not real sure I want that to happen as they tend to "adjust" the equipment to their arrangement protocol!
One other thing I have read and I'm not sure if it's valid but I have read that Epson and other companies sends that waste ink notice out way before the tank is really anywhere near full. I have pulled pads out of a Canon printer and while they were inked up a bit they were not even close to any overflow problem. Of Course most printers are easy to add an exterior waste ink bottle to that can be washed out when needed. The reset notice will come up again because the built in counters keep track of the number of prints that go through the printers. So, Yeah! You need to do this again but compared to the cost of a new printer it's not a big problem!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OutOFtheinkwell said:
Couple of things I watch out for. The first is the new firmware Epson may load, I'm not real sure I want that to happen as they tend to "adjust" the equipment to their arrangement protocol!
To date this hasn't caused problems with waste ink counters with one exception (the Epson Photo 1390-1410 model) but doubtless it's being looked at. The firmware issue is more of a problem for third party consumables, particularly chips.

One other thing I have read and I'm not sure if it's valid but I have read that Epson and other companies sends that waste ink notice out way before the tank is really anywhere near full.
True and for a reason... The idea is that the printer will potentially be taken or shipped to a service centre, in which case the waste ink must effectively be locked into the pads so that it won't leak out causing damage to car upholstery, shipping boxes, or to the printer electronics themselves.

For this reason, most of the North American IPR reset utilities that Epson will provide are actually only available to free up this excess (with a retained buffer to allow for potential overflow).

That said, I have received massively differing information on the contents of waste pads for printers like the PX700W (TX or Artisan models). An educated guess is that folks with third party consumables and/or CIS systems may be leaking more ink into the pads than those with OEM but either way I've had reports of "Completely soaked" to "Barely touched" so your mileage may well vary.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Websnails account of what could happen to your printer is more accrete than you think; I found that out first hand to my huge cost.
The idea is that the printer will potentially be taken or shipped to a service centre, in which case the waste ink must effectively be locked into the pads
so that it won't leak out causing damage to car upholstery, shipping boxes, or to the printer electronics themselves.
In my case it was a Canon not an Epson printer that I had sent to an Authorised Canon Service centre
and when it arrived there upside down the contents of the waste pads
had poured out all over the electronics inside rendering the printer unserviceable.

I lost a great printer that had not given any waste ink notice at all but had in fact being using a CISS at the time
and it must have dumped a hell of a lot of ink into the pads which caused the messy problem to go unnoticed.

Had I gotten the waste pad full notice first I would have changed them myself and fixed my original problem
also and would not have had to send it to Canon in the first place.

The results were Canon 1 the hat lost 600.. :( :(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat said:
Websnails account of what could happen to your printer is more accrete than you think; I found that out first hand to my huge cost.

(SNIP)

I lost a great printer that had not given any waste ink notice at all but had in fact being using a CISS at the time and it must have dumped a hell of a lot of ink into the pads which caused the messy problem to go unnoticed.
Sadly that's not entirely uncommon... CIS systems are notorious for potentially dumping ink into the printer without it being registered because, quite simply, there is no wetness sensor or similar to detect the true waste ink content of the pads, just a little guesstimating algorithm that tots up what should happen if OEM carts are installed.

To date I have two carpet replacements, one near divorce, and numerous unexpected ink slicks that resulted from things like CIS overpressure, ink counter resets (without further action), etc...

Shall we say #oops! :(