Epson waste inks... error...

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Do you know why you are getting the error???
Have you set up an external waste ink bottle from the very begining to collect it?
The error indicates that you waste ink pads are nearly or already saturated.
When you reset the counters back to zero it will begin to record the aproximate waste ink generated.
It will then error out again when the max numbers are reached. So to answer your question, yes it wil error out once againl.
But unless you set up a waste ink bottle, your printer will be sitting in a puddle of waste ink well before that happens.

The Epson reset does NOT reset the counters back to zero like a proper adjustement program or the WIC / serial # does.
It just gives you a bit of time before it errors out again. The WIC program allows you to physically monitor the counters so you know when the end is near. The old Russian SSC ( I think it was called ) also allowed you to monitor and reset as well as many other functions. But it is no longer produced so it will only work with older Epson printers.

Joshua

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, after the counter is used up, you will need to reset again.

ink-solutions

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson,Canon,Hp,Brother
SO every time that my printer goes down, i will have to spend $10 again ?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You mean ten dollars every couple of years is too much????

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman said:
You mean ten dollars every couple of years is too much????
Joe Im just wondering if they do time payment as it might help ease the pain in the wallet.
Ouch.. :lol:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Let see $10 about avery two to three years ( Average printing volume ) divided by 24 to 36 months,,,, forget that, I'll go broke.
I am definitely giving up home printing and I'm selling all my printers!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Blimey... What's going on... Someone only mentions me after half the posts?!! I need better PR!!

Ok... all joking aside a few nuggets of info..

1. All the current info re: waste ink on the Workforce 630 is available here:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/qf/workforce_630
... If/when a "free" multi-use utility becomes available that will indicate it with a different icon for the reset utilities (ie: big question mark).

2. At present the WICReset is the only option available for resetting the waste ink counter but as pointed out it does reset the waste counters back to zero and not just extend the limit to the point where the excess capacity in the pads has been used up.

3. You do have the option of taking the printer to a service centre and asking them to service it for you but increasingly it seems the response you'll get is one of the following:

a) $40+ charge to service it, after a lot of teeth sucking
I've also been informed that a large number of service centres are not even replacing the pads but just resetting the counter and sending the customer on their way. If you go this route, insist on a proper service and proof that the pads have been replaced. Anything else is just fraud IMHO.

b) refusal to handle it because the printer is "broken"

c) lots of suggestions to buy a new printer for various reasons including (b) above...

Bottom line, there's a massive emphasis on printers being disposable items when in reality they could last for a decade or more. Certainly that's true of the C84, D88 and numerous other printers I have here, still plugging away...

... and in all seriousness... While I understand the initial "What? Pay $10 for a reset every time the counter hits full?!!" reaction, I'd strongly recommend doing a little step back, deep breath and examine the math.. It makes a darned sight more sense than buying a new printer every time the counters hit full... $10 vs' $80+...

Expect something of an infographic/video on the subject soon...

jnug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Glad you decided to post in this thread Inkjet Master as I have an Artisan 837 and have a similar question regarding waste ink.

Since the thing has this damn counter that if I am not mistaken is going to error message at a certain point regardless of whether or not the pads are saturated with waste ink what makes the most sense? Does it make more sense to install a waste ink system when the machine is new or does it make more sense to allow the printer to run up some numbers even though that means the pads will be soaking up some ink as a part of that process. From what I have seen you only get one reset per waste ink system which would seem to imply that you are better off to let the printer run up some numbers before installing a waste ink system.

Which is the correct answer in this case?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't matter at all. With the correct reset tool you will run the counter back down to zero.

It's up to you whether you want to risk having a complete disaster on your hands if you ever move the printer and it gets tilted. From the amount of waste ink my printer has made only printing 8% of the waste counter being triggered, I'd half expect the thing to overflow before I even hit the first reset.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jnug said:
Glad you decided to post in this thread Inkjet Master as I have an Artisan 837 and have a similar question regarding waste ink.
Small tip but that's the forum "Rank" of Inkjet Master you've picked up on (you're not first and definitely won't be last!)... Daft thing is I feel less able to wear the title as time goes on... but anyway... Martin or "websnail" is probably better :)

Since the thing has this damn counter that if I am not mistaken is going to error message at a certain point regardless of whether or not the pads are saturated with waste ink what makes the most sense?
Yes, the waste pads and the waste ink counter are completely seperate entities with no connection at all. The waste ink counter is incremented by a sort of dumb equation that adds to the counter every time a new cartridge is inserted or a printhead cleaning routine is run. The equation also allows for a margin of error so what it considers "full" is conservative and should allow for paranoia and the printer owner picking it up and taking it to a service centre without leaking all over their car seat... Supposition on my part but educated guesswork nonetheless.

Does it make more sense to install a waste ink system when the machine is new or does it make more sense to allow the printer to run up some numbers even though that means the pads will be soaking up some ink as a part of that process.
My standing advice throughout is to allow the printer to work for a few weeks or a month just so any potential manufacturing or other defects can appear and be dealt with under warranty. The last thing you want is to install a waste kit, CIS system, etc... and then find the blasted thing won't switch on or there's a paper feed problem. Taking a modified printer back would give a seller all the excuse in the world so say it was your fault and refuse so best not to give them that excuse.

Once that "soak in" period is passed though I'd definitely preempt things and install a kit so you can keep the pads for the time you decide to either sell it on, or simply as a backup.

From what I have seen you only get one reset per waste ink system which would seem to imply that you are better off to let the printer run up some numbers before installing a waste ink system.
For the Artisan 837 the only currently compatible reset utility is the WICReset tool which, as you noted, is a pay per reset utility. Given that it's less than $10 and you can also buy the keys in bulk to get a discount it sounds a lot but the problem is, everyone has been spoiled rotten by SSC, and AdjProg's doing it for nothing. Where I'm a firm promponent of WICResets payment model is that developing and adding compatibility for new printers takes time, money and a fair amount of hair pulling so there needs to be a pay-off or it gets abandoned like the SSC utility did.

Granted I'm biased as my kits are rather reliant on a means of resetting the waste counter, but given the choice of no reset utility or having to pay about the quarter of what a service centre will ask for (and the rest!)... I know where I'd put my money... :)

Hope that helps with the query and just to note it's still worth keeping an eye out for any AdjProg utilities should they be released... It does occassionally happen but it also comes with the risk that it's potential malware, so be careful what you do with it.

Cheers,

Martin (Master of Ink, more like slave to it! ;)).