Epson Artisan 700 installation made easy

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
orlenz said:
but this is getting to be a hassle trying to communicate with people in China is very trying, and time consuming, might be easier to just buy completed systems after all,
Hi orlenz

You can email me direct, at LeonardHolmberg@aol.com. Or Call, phone number on Website (LJHEnt.com)

Welcome world of importing.

These are your concerns with importing CISS units. and reselling in the US.
1. Poor communication, I agree, (wrong tank style, wrong chip style, wrong cartridges, with ink or without, pigment or dye, ect....)
2. Items being delayed in Customs. (sometimes for weeks)
3. Spoilage, whether it's DHL, UPS or poor packaging, it happens. (ink stains, broken components) (order your CISS empty and fill in the USA)
4. Hand inspect every unit before shipping to your customer, (replace missing parts, top off ink levels and remove air from ink tubes)
5. Payment not received or delayed to manufacture, (why I do not know)
6. Expensive to ship, plus bank charges. (I would be the first in line to buy from a US manufacture)
7. Buy many printers, and test them yourself. (Do the chips work, do the cartridges leak, how hard is it to install, hows the ink hold up)
8. Rewrite the CISS instructions, so they make sense.

I accidentally stepped on one of these piano book CISS filled with ink (I am 6 foot tall and 185 lbs) it still works like a chap, no cracks, no leaks. WOW

Get your list together and I will try my best to give you a great price.

Thank you
Leonard

orlenz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I bought one of Leonardjohns piano book systems for my Artisan 700,

what a nice setup this is, it came pre-filled with ink, and took all of about 5 minutes to install, and everything went smooth, and it is printing beautiful photos.

what a difference from the system I bought last week off ebay.

this one comes in a retail box, with clear instructions, and self adhesive clips to secure the tubing, syringes to fill it when the time comes, and a very nice looking tank system,

I also found another way to remove the plastic inside the lid without having to use a grinder, there are two thin plastic pieces protruding down from the inside of the cover,

I didn't have a grinder or dremel handy, so I just got a pair of pliers, and grabbed one and wiggled it back and forth until it came loose from the printer case,

then did the same to the other one, they came off perfectly flush with the case and left no sharp edges or anything to wear at the tubing.

this is a very well thought out system, I highly recommend it to anybody looking for a CIS.

Orlenz

Amgeek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Had to add my 2 cents here.

I like Epson printers BUT......they tend to drink ink like PIGS.

My Artisan 700 was going through a set of refills every other month or so and I only print a couple of pages a day, seldom use color and NEVER photos (do b&w text on CD/DVDs). At $90 a set for refills it felt like it was costing me a quarter a page or more.

Stumbled across this forum while looking for answers and found this thread. Was a little leery because the biggest recommendations for this product was coming from the guy that was selling it but decided to take a chance.

Got live pre-sale support. The unit arrived (coast to coast) in a couple of days. It installed fairly easily (do make sure you grind the ridge off completely see the photos that come with it). Works like a charm. Better than the originals as far as I am concerned because, unlike the original cartridges, the color ink doesn't seem to deplete along with the black (I still print mostly in black).

After running it for a couple of months the Epson software indicated I needed to replace the black cartridge due to its ink getting low. I opened the bottles, topped off all of the tanks, and the warning went away. I was pleasantly surprised to see how little ink it took, The refill bottles are still practically full. At this rate it will be years if ever - before I need to buy more. Next time I need to add ink to the tanks I will break even (two sets of carridges @ $90 = $180, this system plus extra ink about $180)

I was a little concerned when the Epson software did not instantly refill the graphic indicators (it did eventually - leave the printer and computer off over night for a couple of times) and I did get an occasional (4 or 5 times) brief incompatibility warning/messages which have since stopped.

All in all this Piano Book system is working well for me. So well, in fact, I am urging all of my clients who run inkjet printers to look for CISS systems.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one for an Epson Stylus NX 110?

Ed

www.amgeek.com

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Thank you for the kind words, the Piano Book has received great reviews.

Once the cartridge warning appears, just power down the printer. (Multi-chip CISS) ink level for that cartridge that the warning was issued will restore to full.

If you have the Combo-chip CISS, open cover and press button. (keep the power on) we use this CISS on our Artisan 810, why so unprinted faxes do not get deleted when we power down to reset ink levels.

On my Epson Artisan 710, I turn off nightly, I never have to check ink levels, they will auto reset when cartridge warning appears, and I power down at night.

I am adding refillable cartridges that use the same auto reset chips for the Epson Artisan CISS.

Some customers just do not want to modify the printer case. I do not blame them.

Thank you again
LJH

dannid3

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I have had my Epson 710 for about about 2 months and Epson is sending me a new one because of hardware issues. I have been reading about these CISS systems and am scared to death it will ruin my printer, but the cost of cartridges is too much. In our old printer that is going back we had refillable ink cartridges, but not a constant flow system. Had issues with ink overflow and upon taking the cartridges out, filling them and placing it back into the machine they are not being recognized. It wasn't until tonight I started reading about chip resetting. I am wondering what the Piano Book CISS is and how it works. Getting scared when reading about grinding, but my hubby has the dremel hand tool, so that is not a problem. Are the ink cases which are connected to the tubes (not the cartridge end) what is refilled? If so, is this part messy? Also, how is the Piano Book CISS get around the chip reset and your computer reading low ink levels? Sorry, for all the questions, but before I am trying to understand what my best option is and if after buying this there is any support. The refillable ink cartridge set I bought was from overseas and they were useless-total waste of money. If anyone can help guide me and provide some advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks much and Happy New Year's

Amgeek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Dannid3

I have been using the Piano Book on my Epson 700 for about 4 months. Still a happy camper.

I understand your concern about taking a grinder to your printer (scared me too). It is just the small, thin, ridge at the rear of the cartridge area that has to be ground down. If you don't, the tubes keep the lid from shutting all the way and keep the printer from working. Biggest danger is that debris will fall into the printer so turn it over before grinding ;)

Yes, it is the external tanks that you put the ink into. I have topped mine off a couple of times, it is very easy. I do wear gloves and put a newspaper down for protection but, so far, have not spilled a drop.

I haven't quite figured out the level rest yet. Best I can tell is you have to leave the unit powered off at night and eventually it catches on. Sorry I can't be more help here. So far I have not lost any time. It works for me every day.

I did have a question or two before I ordered mine, called the seller and got a live person! Leonardjohn himself :)

Hope that helps

Ed

www.amgeek.com

dparadowski

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dannid3 said:
Good Morning,
I have had my Epson 710 for about about 2 months and Epson is sending me a new one because of hardware issues. I have been reading about these CISS systems and am scared to death it will ruin my printer, but the cost of cartridges is too much. In our old printer that is going back we had refillable ink cartridges, but not a constant flow system. Had issues with ink overflow and upon taking the cartridges out, filling them and placing it back into the machine they are not being recognized. It wasn't until tonight I started reading about chip resetting. I am wondering what the Piano Book CISS is and how it works. Getting scared when reading about grinding, but my hubby has the dremel hand tool, so that is not a problem. Are the ink cases which are connected to the tubes (not the cartridge end) what is refilled? If so, is this part messy? Also, how is the Piano Book CISS get around the chip reset and your computer reading low ink levels? Sorry, for all the questions, but before I am trying to understand what my best option is and if after buying this there is any support. The refillable ink cartridge set I bought was from overseas and they were useless-total waste of money. If anyone can help guide me and provide some advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks much and Happy New Year's
I have one of the piano books in my 810. I works great. The chip resetting works great too. The cartridge gets low like normal and says to change it. You hit the little button on the cartridge (part of the piano book, or any other CISS, system) and it thinks there is a new full cartridge installed. This person also sells the refillable cartridges which are the same thing without the large ink containers on the outside and the tubes. Unless you print at least a few pages weekly, I would recommend those instead. CISS can start giving you problems if the printer is not used regularly. The cartridges are easy to refill and they reset themselves if they reported low ink, were removed and then reinserted. As for support, Leonard, they guy who owns LJHEnt.com, the piano book seller, has great service before and after the sale. I was back and forth with him quite a bit before I bought from him and once after with some general questions once I had product in hand. Before the Piano book, I had 2 sets of the refillable cartridges. I had a spare set already filled and ready to install in case the the printer reported low ink at a time that was inconvenient to refill. Worked great, but then I started printed a lot of photos and it became too much of a pain to keep refilling all the time.

royalty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I too bought one of Leonardjohns piano book systems for my Artisan 700. Very nice setup. Good documentation. I am concerned with one thing: the ink levels are not resetting. While it has not yet got to the point of a warning I thought when you turn the printer off it would automatically reset to show full ink - it does not. What do I need to do to reset the ink levels? This is the setup without the reset button.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi there

This is one of the most asked questions, you cannot force the CISS to reset ink levels.

You have to wait for the printer to issue a cartridge warning, do not remove cartridge, that is the old chip.

If you have the multi-chip, just power down the printer. (that is your style Piano Book)

If you have the combo, depress the button on the CISS.

Here is a copy of the instructions on the website.

4275_ink_level_reset_2.png

See the FAQ section of the website for more information.

Thank You

LJH

DCLocal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I also purchased a CISS from LJH for my Artisan 810 and could not be happier. I was worried about grinding down the plastic inside the printer but did as orlenz; I used pliers to wiggle back and forth and the plastic came off smooth. I also had a ridge on the bottom (printer itself, not the scanner lid) I had to tear off.

Before when printing large pictures I always had that sickening feeling in my stomach knowing I'd have to buy more ink cartridges ($$$) but now I print without concern. It really is liberating and makes my Artisan investment much more rewarding.