Does anyone have experience of PPD paper?

Peter W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7720DTWF
Hi all,

That's Photo Paper Direct in the UK. They are offering A3+ 280gsm for just over £1 a sheet, that's cheap, but if the prints are going to be rubbish it's not cheap any more.

My printer is a Canon Pro-10s, pigment.

Thanks for any input.

Peter

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I have experience with some of ppd paper not the model you specified, they are not high end as canon or ilford ones but not bad as very cheap unbranded paper.

It's a paper that can be used for sure but not without a rip for controlling ink quantities and densities plus an instrument for precise and advanced profiles.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It's a paper that can be used for sure but not without a rip for controlling ink quantities and densities
Why does he need a third party RIP?

Last edited:

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Why does he need a third party RIP?

As premise, I'm reporting my specific experience: because the control that you have over ink density is really needed, there are a pair of papers from ppd that i used in past that i tried with all the medium settings on the official drivers and all of them were too much ink for the paper. I found ppd papers being decent but lacking the capability of absorbing a decent amount of ink. With rips you have full control over the printer and level down the ink values precisely finding also the maximum dmax available for the specific paper.