Custom length borderless prints with a 1400 possible?

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I recently needed to print several borderless 12"x16" prints using an Epson 1400. To my surprise, while the printer driver supports 12"x12" square borderless prints, it wouldn't let me define a custom length (the same is true for all supported borderless width settings).
That's something you can do using other printers, like the R2000, R2880 etc. The limitation to a borderless print is simply the width, you can manually set any length.

Does anybody know a workaround to this? I know I can print on wider paper and trim, but that's not the point.
Or, just in case it's a driver issue, can anybody using the US version of the driver/printer check and see if that's a limitation with that version as well?

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for that link, but that doesn't really solve the problem.
While it lets me choose a custom very long paper size, there simply is no option for selecting custom print sizes when the "borderless" box is ticked in the printer driver.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
you cant print custom borderless paper sizes afaik without an RIP software

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Costadinos,

Sorry but no Epson printer or for that matter even Canon will allow you to print borderless on any but the standard sizes listed on their drivers.
Your only option of to print the 12x16 onto 13 x 19 centered, then trip with a good trimmer.
Only through a RIP can you print borderless with the EPSON.

Try the PrintFab Beta ( it is a rip ) and maybe that will work out. It is good for several months of free use.

Joe

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the suggestion jtoolman, will give the printfab a try.

I don't want to be able to print borderless prints of any WIDTH, just for the supported sizes to be able to print to custom LENGTH.
Borderless has to do with where the absorbing pads are placed underneath the paper for catching the overspray, right? So if a printer can do say 12x12 borderless (like the 1400 does), it should also be able to do 12x16, 12x20 etc.
Just like the more expensive printers do. With R2880 I have an option of selecting a borderless print width and then manually adjust the length to be anything I want.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
costadinos said:
Thanks for the suggestion jtoolman, will give the printfab a try.

I don't want to be able to print borderless prints of any WIDTH, just for the supported sizes to be able to print to custom LENGTH.
Borderless has to do with where the absorbing pads are placed underneath the paper for catching the overspray, right? So if a printer can do say 12x12 borderless (like the 1400 does), it should also be able to do 12x16, 12x20 etc.
Just like the more expensive printers do. With R2880 I have an option of selecting a borderless print width and then manually adjust the length to be anything I want.
No. Just because it can do 12 x 12 does not mean it can do 12 x 16 or any other combination of 12 x anything. Same goes for any other default width. These "RULES" are built into the standard driver. In fact I can not guarantee that even PRINT FAB will solve that. Though some say that RIPS will allow you to print any size borderless. I never print borderless so I would not know if PRINT FAB can override that.

If you look along the platen where the paper emerges as it is being printed, you will see some embedded sponge material. Over spray created during borderless printing is deposited there. Over spray on these sponge areas are instrumental in creating smudges on the underside of your prints after a long time of printing borderless.

These areas have to be maintained by spraying Windex and blotting off with paper toweling.

Joe

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, just gave FabPrint a try, and it actually worked! I can now define custom-length borderless paper sizes, just like with the more "advanced" printers...
It's a shame Epson omitted that though, shouldn't be that hard to implement, especially since they already do it with other models.

Thanks a lot jtoolman!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
It's a nice little RIP that simply continues to be extended as free Beta. Eventually it's going to set you back about $200!
The windows version is almost impossible to be used with ICC profiles though so I will stick with the regular driver and print through Qimage Ultimate!

Joe