Colormunki Photo/display Calibration

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Hey!

I want to get a display calibration tool, but I don't know which. I have to choose between DataColor Spyder 4 Elite and X-Rite ColorMunki DISPLAY. Which one is the best?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It looks good, but it's $229.48 (incl. shipping) and I will have to pay customs and VAT (24% here) for it, so the price goes up, up... :) Do you have or have used the Calman?

I can get the Colormunki/Spyder locally for $245/$202(incl. shipping), I would be interested in a device in this price range.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
That is getting pricey!

I have a an older CalMAN eye-one display 2 for computer monitor calibration. I am going to get the new CalMAN at some point as these colorimeters progressively go out of spec, as do our computer monitors, and there is eventually nothing that can be done to restore accuracy except a new device. The determination of when a replacement is needed is personal choice, of course.

FYI -- the higher priced spectrophotometers also drift but can be adjusted to factory specs, unlike the colorimeters.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What about purchasing from eBay? You might be able to get any of these calibration set ups for cheaper, including the CalMAN. Would a private citizen in the US have to charge you for VAT when shipping to you?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'll have to get more info on that, some of which is only available by phone. Would it be a better move to just get the Colormunki Photo?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
It looks good, but it's $229.48 (incl. shipping) and I will have to pay customs and VAT (24% here) for it, so the price goes up, up... :) Do you have or have used the Calman?

I can get the Colormunki/Spyder locally for $245/$202(incl. shipping), I would be interested in a device in this price range.
Here are the US prices, if you can get them shipped from here.
upload_2013-12-20_16-16-44.png

upload_2013-12-20_16-17-49.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Would it be a better move to just get the Colormunki Photo?
Now you're going straight to the top! The least expensive would be the ColorMunki Smile, followed by the Display, then the Photo. There is a large price spread from top to bottom. It all depends on what you need and how much you want to spend! If the Photo can also calibrate TV's then it sounds even better for the price. I see that ColorMunki is sold in Romania so that hopefully would better if you need support.

There are some forum members who use a ColorMunki and can better inform you than I.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Grandad35 : that is the price I was getting for the Calman, but it's $230 with shipping to Romania + VAT and taxes, I think... I will call Customs on Monday and ask how things really are.

@stratman : yes, I can get both of the devices in my first post locally. The Colormunki Photo too, with a waiting period of 4 weeks. I will know more about where I can get the device after I sort things out with Customs.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Customs said that everything sent from EU is free from VAT and taxes. Everything outside the EU is subject to taxes and VAT.

So... I ordered the Colormunki Photo from Amazon UK and paid $100 less than I would of if I bought it locally. And that includes shipping... Plus I'll get it after 25dec, so it's faster too. :)

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!