Changing Canon OEM colors with Hobbicolors UW-8 * ONE BY ONE * scans

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark ii, and I am replacing the original Canon ink with Hobbicolors UW-8
At first I wanted to change all of them at the same time, but decided to go " one color by color " to see what the effect would be.

How I did it : when I got a color warning from the printer, I replaced the OEM cart with another ( cleaned ) OEM cart, but now with Hobbicolors UW-8 ( aren't those resetters small wonders.....)
I replaced 3 colors until now, and you can see the different scans here :

http://www.infento.com/colors/

I am printing tri-fold brochures, and this was a nice way to try, as only one brochure goes to one (potential) customer, so no-one sees the difference.

I will update the scans if I change more colors.

PLEASE NOTE :

I do not comment on any changes, once all colors are changed I will see the end result, and will make changes, if necessary.
I only show it what happens if you change color by color, instead of the whole bunch of carts at the same time.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
very interesting project! Thanks for keeping us up to date on your findings.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You probably will see some color shift until all your inks are swapped out. By then you should see colors reasonably close to OEM. Interesting project indeed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
marceltho

Firstly nice designs, :) I printed out your five samples and viewed them all together and there is a notable colour shift. Looking at the way the changes were going I dont think youll get the same colours when all the cartridges are Hobbocolors.
I mentioned before that you can change the individual colours in Canon preferences/Manual Adjustment.

marceltho Wrote:-

I am used to edit photos with Photoshop CS4, and what is better than the same print comes out of the printer as what is on the screen ? This is also good in case my girlfriend wants to print something, always the same method.
Those changes can be temporary or permanent which ever you chose and its a great way to calibrate your new inks to your original Canon colours.
Keep us up-dated anyway..;)

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You were right, I won't even come close with 6 Hobbicolors ( I keep OEM green and red in for now ) , I have added the latest scan.

I had a quick look to the Manual Adjustment ( I didn't see the tab after your previous post....:( ) and I think I can work with that, but probably I will start from scratch with a new picture. I also had a quick look, if I could put my own picture in the " portrait sample box ", but I could not find it so easy, perhaps later.

I had also a comment from Hobbicolors, as I notified them about my post, thought it might interest them, here is what they wrote :

Thank you very much for contacting Hobbicolors. We appreciate your work on this test.

You can switch one ink tank at a time. Many of our customers have probably gone through that already. Our suggestion is for optimal color accuracy you really want to switch CMY tanks at a group at the same time. You can switch PC and PM as another set of inks at a same time too. You can switch R and G individually.

The main reason of that is the CMY colorants are matched for producing balanced composite colors. If any one of the PMY colors is not matched the balance can be tipped off and you may observe some composite color accuracy issues. Most people probably won't notice much and are not bothered. But if your printing application is mainly graphic arts you may need a custom profile to handle the difference.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Don't know what you mean by that, just thought it would interest people, I will take it off later, and this will be my last post on the subject.

ruffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
Marceltho: Please dont remove your color study project. It is indeed very useful info and I for one appreciate your efforts. Anxiously await your add-ons as you replace colors. Thank you for allowing this forum to have benefit of your findings.
Best Regards

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't remove the project itself, you can see any developments by clicking on the link in the first post.

nhendrix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
marceltho: I'm sure I represent untold other "newbies" when I say how interesting
and helpful your posts are. I especially like how you lay everything out
picture-by-picture. I know it is your choice on giving or not. Just want you
to know when I see your posts I immediately subscribe for fear of missing out
on your unique ideas/methods. -Nick