Changing Canon OEM colors with Hobbicolors UW-8 * ONE BY ONE * scans

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Marcel, thanks for explaining.

The sponge in a Canon cartridge can hold about 4 - 6 cc of ink. It's about 1/3 of the capacity of the cartridge. If you open up an empty BCI-6 or CLI-8 you can squeeze the sponge to retrieve 4 - 6 cc of ink.

It now makes sense. When you printed the 4th print the ink might have not been mixed yet. The print could have colors closer to what they were before you refilled this last ink cartridge (PC?). By the time you printed the 5th the inks were well mixed already so you really had gotten the colors of a 33%- %66 mix.

I don't know if the fresh ink filled into the reservoir will mix thoroughly with the OEM ink remaining in the sponge chamber. My understanding is they don't. The ink in the reservoir will flow a little bit at a time into the sponged chamber at the rate of ink consumed by the print head. You will have to do a deep clean to get half a cc (just my guess) of ink to flow into and mix with the remain of ink in the sponge. That is still not much to make a big impact. I could be wrong though.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, I think it is like that. Also...don't forget, this was my first ( very good ) experience with the German refill method, and I am sure I used much more time to refill the first 2 carts than the 3rd PC cart.

I think if you really want to see what happens you should do following:

Test 1 : 100% color A
Test 2 : fresh carts with 50% color A and 50% color B PRE-MIXED
Test 3 : fresh carts with 100% color B

In general, if you want to do this, I guess you already have the result of test 1 or test 3