Canon service tool v2000

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
pixmania

I am at a loss as to why you need to reset your counters,
did you get a nudge from your printer first or are you just seeing how it works.

Can you explain please.. :th
at the moment i dont want to reset my counters but i have verified that the service tool i have is the correct one and works. when the time comes i'll be ready and not have to spend time faffing about for info and method.
i have reset my counters to see if the tool functioned o.k, but have now re-instated the original reading. forwarned is forarmed.
:he

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks for explaining you situation to me;
I just taught that your printer had gone into the early menopause. :barnie

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Thanks for explaining you situation to me;
I just taught that your printer had gone into the early menopause. :barnie
no mate, that's more likely to be me!:ep my brother has only had his mg6150 a year before he got the dreaded absorber full alarm. so i thought i'd get well ahead of the game.
:thumbsup

david8899

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

it's been a while since the post was done but i am facing kind of same problems so i hope someone could help me.

background:
I have an European canon mx870 with (CLI-521-x) cartridges,
and i brought it to Japan where cartridges are usually (BCI-321-x).
When i ran out of ink, i bought (BCI-321-x), and off course printer gave an error with unrecognized cartridge message.
After checking several stuff on internet, i tried to use the "set destination" setting on the canon service tool.

Problem:
I was able to set the region to Japan without problem. Then when i reboot printer, all menus were in Japanese.
Problem is that even after this change, the printer still want to use (CLI-521-x) cartridges and give the same previous error message when feeding with Japanese (BCI-321-x).

Question:
Do i misunderstood something and this "set destination" setting has nothing to do with cartridges ?
Could you advise on another solution that can allow me to use Japanese cartridges as they are sold (don't want to change hard cartridge chip) ?

Hope someone can help, cause i really cannot afford to buy a new printer....
Thanks !!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The simple answer to your problem is to use the chips from your CLI-521 cartridges.

When you buy your new OEM cartridges just transfer the chips from the old empty CLI-521's
to youre newly purchased ones and your printer will accept them with no complaints.

It would be advisable to buy a chip resetter for your 521 chips and reset them to full again before each transfer
otherwise youll have to disable your ink monitoring to continue to print with your new cartridges.

Here is a link on how to transfer the chips form one cartridge to another.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
A great link has been provided. It's simple, easy, and it works.

Regards,

Tom C

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is also a chance that a resetter for the European region cartridges, maybe it needs to be the original Redsetter, is able to change the BCI-321-x into the European PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges, see this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7845

I think you have done nothing wrong with the service mode operations, the cartridge region seems to be locked in the firmware. I think the region setting in the printer only locks/unlocks CD printing ability, and determines which driver to install.

david8899

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all for your fast and effective answers.

PeterBJ >
I ll try to get more information regarding this REDSETTER cause they did not use same cartridge number than me so .... Anyway thanks for that clue.

The Hat >
As i was afraid about, it's seems that there is no software solution...
Remaining work-around are :
1 - To change the hard chip from the old CLI-521 to the newly buy BCI-321 and to do that every time i buy new cartridges.
2 - To keep my old CLI-521 and refill them with new ink bottle.

Concerning this 2 work-around, could you advise on the best one regarding the reliability of the cartridge.
I mean if you change hard chip several times maybe it will break or just stop working for any reason when it gets too old.
In contrast, to keep refilling same cartridge every time could also lead to cartridge leak or other problems when it gets too old.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Before I started refilling, I used compatible cartridges without chips and transferred the chips to them. I have transferrred many chips but only one or two chips have failed, maybe the chip was damaged by static discharge, I don't know.

For resetting your PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges you will need a resetter specifically designed for these cartridges. A resetter for another cartridge family like PGI-5/CLI-8 or PGI-x25/CLI-x26 won't work and might damage the chips. An original redsetter for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges is found here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%2d521{47}PGI%2d520-Redsetter-[Battery].html and here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%2d521{47}PGI%2d520-Redsetter-[USB].html I don't what shipping from UK to Japan will cost, maybe it will be less expensive to buy from Chinese alibaba.com?

If you buy a resetter, then please report if it was able to turn the Japanese chips into European chips.

Your Canon OEM cartridges should last for many refills. They are high quality.

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Instructions for use: First the printer must enter service mode. No other printers should be connected to the computer. This is procedure for my MP 540, from the service manual, the procedure for your printer might be different:
Something that may be obvious to many, but I and at least one other person missed that you have to connect via USB! I normally use my MG5250 over wireless, so had to dig out a cable to allow me to see how the waste usage and page counts were looking.

Quick tip to avoid too many on / off cycles: If you find yourself in this situation and the printer is already in service mode then if you plug the USB cable in it'll get detected, allowing the Service Tool to be run.