Canon service tool v2000

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My first post in this thread actually has the info, that service mode operations only work with a USB connection

It is at the bottom part of the post, just above the updates:

Note: The service tool only work with a USB connection, so you will have use a USB cable with a wireless printer.

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
My first post in this thread actually has the info, that service mode operations only work with a USB connection

It is at the bottom part of the post, just above the updates:

Note: The service tool only work with a USB connection, so you will have use a USB cable with a wireless printer.
Ah yes, so it does. I'd even missed it when rereading to see if it was actually in there somewhere :(. I was too fixated on finding it near the 'How to use' bit :rolleyes:.

david8899

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry for my late answer but it took time to get what I ordered.
If it can help someone in the same situation than me I am writing what I did.
I bought a refill bottle kit :
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B005AAHV5C/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365571249&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

You have everything you need on this kit no extra tools needed.
As explained on the provided document,
1/ you put the cartridge on the black stand then press the lever to break the plastic ball on the top of the cartrigde
2/ you refill with the provided ink bottle
3/ you wait 15s
4/ you put the provided plastic cap to close the hole where you put the ink
5/ you remove the cartridge from the stand and place it over a kitchen paper
6/ you wait again 15s
7/ you put back the cartridge on the printer

It s extremely simple and fast, no leak or other problems. It took me less than 1 min by cartridge and you don t need any extra tools.
Personally I wrap some plastic paper arround the cartridge in order to not have to clean the black stand inside between each different cartridge color.

I don't know If I m lucky or if my preparation was good but, I don t understand why everybody says that refilling by the top is difficult....
Then using the German method you need tools, to do an extra hole on the bottom and so on ... Why do you complicate yourself ???

I still did not buy a resetter do for now I cannot write about that.

Anyway thanks for everybody help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If at any time you have a need to put your printer into Service Mode,
here are the few steps that are required to do so.

Please Note don't do it, if you don't need to do it,
If it is not required why bother messing with it.

Have your printer connect to your Windows computer (Desktop or Laptop) by way of a USB cable no more than 2 metres long
and have the print driver installed correctly and be able to print a test sheet, dont use USB Hub.

This service tool only works with Windows, Mac OS and Linux are not supported,
so Mac owners and Linux users could try to borrow a Windows laptop.

There are two Buttons on the front of your printer,

One is the Power (ON/OFF) button usually Coloured (GREEN)

The other is the Resume (PAPER FEED) Button usually Coloured (ORANGE)

Start by having your printer turned (OFF), now youre ready to begin.

It might be better and easier for you to use both hands while carrying out this procedure.

Press and hold the RESUME Button, (Don't release it)

Now press the POWER Button and (Don't Release it either)

Then take your finger off the RESUME button only. (Release)

Now Press the RESUME Button Twice, Slowly and (Release)

Next take your finger off the POWER Button. (Release also)

Your printer will now enter Service mode which can take anything up to several minutes,
When the POWER Button light stops flashing and your printer goes idle, only then it is in Service Mode.

This procedure will work with most printers but some newer printer models
will require you to press the RESUME Button more than twice,
the best way to find this out is to get a Service manual for your printer.

Print these instructions out first if you think it will help you better understand them.

Please note

Older printers (Using PGI-5 / CLI-8 / and BCI-e/6 Carts) dont require the Service Tool EXE. to alter these printers, but if yours does then download several of the Service Tool Apps to make sure you have the correct one.

Some printers will work in Win 7/64 and Win 7/32 and others work in XP/32
so you may have to use two different Operation systems to make it work.

It will be a matter of trial and error so try each one in turn till you get one that works for you, if you find you your printer is not responding afterwards then turn it off
and unplug from the mains then wait 5 minutes before turning it back on again.

PeterBJ also had a hand in compiling this post..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Some more Info on Canon Pro printers entering Service Mode.

With generous helpings of his precious time PeterBJ guided me along and I was able to get the Pro 9500 and the Pro 1 into Service mode using one of the many Service Tool Exe.

First the 9500, it works with the Resume button pressed twice, and pausing till the printer is ready, the Service Tool that I used for this printer was Version V1074, running in XP 32bit.

The Pro1 works with the Resume button pressed five times and pausing, then you have to use the Service Tool Version V3200 on this printer again running in XP 32bit.

All the normal functions work as you would expect them too, EEprom printout and reset, Clear Ink counter, Absorber reset etc.

I got the Service tool Version V3400 to work in Win7/64bit on the iX7000 and iP4700 printers most of the older printers do not need the Service Tool to do the same thing.

It doesent work on Mac O/S. Just let your fingers do the talking.. :)

Here’s the latest on the Service Tools for the Pro 1.

I don’t know if Service tool V1074 will work any more if you use firmware 2.0 on your Pro 1
because I was unable to test it due to new firmware lockout and the 5 button sequence
has also changed from that firmware upgrade onwards also.

If you are still using firmware 1.0 then under no circumstances should you upgrade
your firmware to version 2.0 whatsoever. (You gain nothing) :somad

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure for entering service mode on most Canon printers involves pressing the stop/resume button twice, but some printers require you to press the stop/resume button a different number of times. I have seen the numbers 5 and 6 times mentioned.

A printer that requries you to press the Stop resume button 5 times is the two cartridge iP2700. This is the procedure, from the service manual:

i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold
the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the
Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release
both the ON and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is
pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

It looks like I was wrong in post #61:

...But I have a suspicion that the service tools do not support 2 cartridge printers. Another service tool named iP Tool might be needed. I have not looked very much into this as I have no Canon 2 cartridge printer. Here are some links suggesting that an iP Tool might be needed: http://tricks-collections.com/reset-ink-level-on-canon-pixma-ip1800-using-iptool-software/ http://tricks-collections.com/reset-canon-ip1880-ip-1100-ip1800-and-ip2500-series/ http://tricks-collections.com/iptool-canon-printer/ ...
There also is a similar MP tool for the AIO's: http://guidereset.blogspot.dk/2013/02/mptool-software-resetter-for-canon.html . If you have more info about or experience with the IP and MP tools, please post in a new thread.

Some newer two cartridge iP and MP models are supported by the service tool. I think the models supported by the the service tool are those using the PG-x10 and CL-x11 cartridges or the XL versions of the cartridges: PG-x12 and CL-x13.

marco rossi

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
mg5150
hello friends are marco di roma Italy.
Your forum is very interesting
I have a problem ... I have a Canon MG5150 printer.
You can reset the cartridges?
so that they are always charged?
I read a post in which he speaks of programs (EEPROM) as the v2000 and V3400
you help me?

help me maybe writing in an easy way, use the translate

thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Macro
Unfortunately you didn’t make yourself understood properly writing in English.

Do you want to know how to reset your cartridges for your MG5150 printer ? or.

Do you want to use the Service tool V. 3400 to enter Service mode on your printer ?

CiaoMacro
Purtropponon si èfarsi capirecorrettamentemerlanoin ingleseVuoisaperecome ripristinarele cartucceper la stampanteMG5150? o.Vuoiutilizzare il ServiziostrumentoV.3400per entrare in modalitàserviziosulla stampante?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There are two different kinds of reset for canon printers, one is reset of cartridges after a refill. For this you will need a resetter for your cartridges like this one: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%2d526{47}PGI%2d525-Redsetter-[USB].html

The other reset is a reset of some data stored in the printer, like ink absorber usage. For this you will need one of the service tools. The service tools are not able to reset an ink cartridge chip, only the resetter can do that.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have a problem ... I have a Canon MG5150 printer.
You can reset the cartridges?
so that they are always charged?
You can purchase a chip resetter for your CLI-526 and PGI-525 cartridges. An example would be www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%252d526%7B47%7DPGI%252d525-Redsetter-%5BUSB%5D.html which is a USB powered resetter. You may be able to find less expensive battery operated models - no cable needed for power - just search on "chip resetter CLI-526" or "chip resetter MG5150".

If you are interested in ARC chip which automatically reset your chips to full then do a search for ARC chips.

A resetter is preferable unless there is no other option than an ARC for a number of reasons such as less risk of a cartridge using up the ink and the ARC chip still showing the cartridges with ink. This can happen, at least with previous models of ARC chips if you turn the printer off and then back on. When you do this the ARC chips reset to FULL ink levels even if you have used ink up. Another reason to not use ARC is that every time you turn off and then on the power the ARC chips register the cartridges as new cartridges and the printer may do a new cartridge maintenance purge causing ink to be drained for no good reason. At least this is what happened with ARC chips in the past. Someone else may have better knowledge concerning ARC chips for your particular machine.

I read a post in which he speaks of programs (EEPROM) as the v2000 and V3400
you help me?
Sorry. No knowledge of this.