Canon service tool v2000

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
... a region change cannot change the region of the needed cartridges.
Before Canon enabled disk printing on their line of USA printers, those of us that desired disk printing modified our Canon's by hacking the firmware to another region. Fortunately there was no change in the chipped cartridge region. We still used the same cartridge model. It would have been quite the PITA otherwise.

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650, MG7550, MG7750
I have just successfully and at the first attempt managed to use the Service Tool to fix the 'Ink Absorber is Full' on my MG 6150. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this!
By the way, to get it into Service Mode I held down the Power Button and at the same time pressed the STOP button six times. the lights changed from blue to orange and back to blue and at the 6th time it was blue and in Service Mode.

Now, does the same procedure work on the MG 6250?

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
There is no need to press ON button and STOP button simultaneously.

The beginning of entering Service Mode procedure is very like it was in older printers - STOP/CANCEL/RESUME button have to be pressed before pressing ON button.

This was tested with MG6250 like in picture (animation?):
mg6200_series_enterning_service_mode-gif.1396

Ł.

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
H
There is no need to press ON button and STOP button simultaneously.

The beginning of entering Service Mode procedure is very like it was in older printers - STOP/CANCEL/RESUME button have to be pressed before pressing ON button.

This was tested with MG6250 like in picture (animation?):
mg6200_series_enterning_service_mode-gif.1396

Ł.
Hmmmmm...what I did was press the power button first and hold it down and then the stop button 6 times, not 5, and ended up with the blue light on. The screen was blank and only the blue light was on. When I opened the Service Tool everything worked perfectly. And now the printer works like new.
According to the animation, on the MG6250 you first press the stop button, then the power button and hold down the power button while you press the stop button another 5 times and you end up with the orange light on. Maybe both ways have the same result?

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Maybe both ways have the same result?
Yes, they have.
MG6150/MG6250 (and few other printers) has electric field (non-mechanical) STOP button. It is probably for this reason, both of these methods work.

I've tried procedure posted in MG6150 Service Manual in MG5150 and it failed - because mechanical STOP/CANCEL/RESUME button have to be pressed before ON button.

Ł.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Congratulation to mswannie with clearing the wast ink counter and thanks to both mswannie and Lucasz for the description of the procedures used to enter service mode. This is valuable new info about the service mode procedures. :thumbsup

Resetting the absorber counter doesn't make the ink disappear, so it is recommended that the ink absorbers are replaced or cleaned and dried. Some say that you can get away with resetting the counter and continue printing just once, others say that you risk a nasty ink spill if you continue printing without changing or cleaning the absorbers.

It seems that the procedure for entering service mode has changed since the first printers needing a service tool for service mode operations were introduced, so different printers need different procedures for entering service mode.

For a printer of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 generation like the iP3600 the service manual has this procedure:
i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in greens, the printer is ready for the service mode operation:

A possibly newer 2 cartridge printer like the iP2700 has the same procedure for entering service mode with the exception that the Resume/Cancel button is pressed five times instead of two in step iii.

A printer that has the traditional push buttons replaced by electronic sensor fields and is of the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 generation, like the MG 6100 series has this procedure for entering service mode, note the difference from the first procedure:
i. With the machine power turned off, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the button.)
ii. When the Power LED lights, while holding the ON button, press the Stop button 5 times, and release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately.)
iii. When the Power LED lights, the machine is ready for the service mode operation.

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I really have the (maybe bad impression) that the ink absorbers are not really full but it's just a mechanical process. It has happened to 3 printers we have and every time the printer has been out of warranty for one or two months. By a strange coincidence. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. They are such great printers apart from that!

And then I will have to do something about the ink absorbers??? Oh,that could be fun!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One of these days I’ll get my Pro 1 into service Mode, I have tried till I’m blue in the face but I reckon I’ll stumble on the stupid procedure later rather than sooner.

Each new procedure that gets mentioned here no matter what it is, I try them all out and just keep on hoping.. :he

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
In my country, I saw someone who had to sell a stack of seven Pixma printers with a overflowed absorbers :)

The Pixma printers on the type of inks x20/x21 and x25/x26 is a mechanical measurement of the overflow absorber. The pump roller position sensor has a very interesting building - especially the slat encoder. When it comes to overflow absorber, the slats splashing the ink and dirty rotation sensor. A dirty sensor goes blind with the error 5C20.

Similarly, the detection of leaks of ink from the printhead and ink tanks. The main sensor of purge unit is flooded and as a result is an error 5C00.

And one more thing. The outlet of the ink from the PGBK head is above feeder cassette. The outlet of the CLI head is under purge unit.

The absorber pad can be washed and dried.
Dirty work... and absorber will be less absorbent.

Ł.

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
One of these days I’ll get my Pro 1 into service Mode, I have tried till I’m blue in the face but I reckon I’ll stumble on the stupid procedure later rather than sooner.

Each new procedure that gets mentioned here no matter what it is, I try them all out and just keep on hoping.. :he
Just keep trying and one day, like magic, you'll hit the right buttons. And then you have to remember which ones they were!