Canon releases new firmware for Pixma PRO 10s

ioprappas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-10S
I 've just read that Canon has released new firmware for Canon Pixma PRO 10s printer. It says that this updater will upgrade printer's firmware to version 1.020.
Info about the new firmware could be found here: https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...a_pro_series/pixma_pro-10s.html?type=firmware
There is no mention about the functions the new firmware is going to solve.
Any ideas about this? Is it worth upgrading?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
DON'T DO IT !!
First wait for reliable feedback on the real effects ( positive or negative) of this new firmware.
There's a fair chance that, among other modifications, this update does something to prevent using third party products ( i.e. disabling functionality of OEM chips resetter ).
Maybe this isn't the case, but for sure I' won't be the first guinea pig to try. Any volunteers ?. :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any ideas about this? Is it worth upgrading?
It’s quite simple if it ain’t broke then why fix it...
A firmware upgrade at this stage is usually more beneficial to Canon than to a user, in my opinion.. :hu

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
My Pro10s came with firmware v1.000. The very first version I suppose. It works perfectly and I feel no need to upgrade, even if I knew for sure that the new firmware doesn't disables or difficults the use of third party products.
Maybe if this new version achieves to save half of the ink used for printing /cleaning cycles, then I'd think about it.. ;)

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Both Epson and HP and maybe more manufacturers have used firmware updates to block the use of third party cartridges, so when will Canon do the same? Don't update the firmware unless absolutely necessary to solve a problem.

See this post

Ink stained Fingers posted while I was typing.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Like with WiFi routers, there are only 2 reasons to upgrade your printer's firmware:

1) To fix a problem you are currently having.

2) To obtain a new function that you really, Really, REALLY need but do not currently have.

Unlike with routers, for the most part, the concern is that printer firmware upgrades will decrease functionality if you refill or use third party aftermarket chipped cartridges, ie that Epson, HP, Canon will prevent you from using anything other than a fresh new OEM ink cartridges when the current one is empty.

If your printer does what you want it to do and you are having no issues claimed to be fixed by the new firmware then do NOT upgrade your printer firmware.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I still have the PRO-10 with Ver 1.110

The update history mentions internal updates:
>
[Ver.1.4] 1.[ROM] - To improve the printer quality. [Ver.1.3] 1.Windows 10 has been added as a supported OS. 2.[ROM] - The internal modules have been updated. [Ver.1.2] 1.Windows 8.1 has been added as a supported OS. 2.[ROM] - The supported paper for printing via PictBridge connection is changed to "Photo Paper Pro Platinum N." - "Photo Paper Pro Platinum N" is added as the supported paper for non-PC printing (Camera Direct printing and printing via PictBridge or Wi-Fi connection). [Ver.1.1] [Manuals] - The following supported languages have been added: French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Simplified Chinese [Ver.1.0] - The problem in which the ink level is not indicated properly in some instances has been rectified.
<

Nothing nice to have like an increased paper length as for the PRO-1000.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Has Epson or HP ever informed, before installation, they were programming out the ability to use 3rd party aftermarket chipped cartridges?

Has Canon ever programmed out the ability to use 3rd party chipped cartridges or the use of a resetter once a functional resetter was on the market?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Has Epson or HP ever informed, before installation, they were programming out the ability to use 3rd party aftermarket chipped cartridges?

Has Canon ever programmed out the ability to use 3rd party chipped cartridges or the use of a resetter once a functional resetter was on the market?

HP has issued firmware updates with a time bomb.
Only months afterwards compatible ink manufacturers became aware their cartridges weren't accepted anymore.
There were lawsuits.
I wouldn't trust Epson either.

Canon is less dependent on printer and ink sales in particular to small customers, maybe we should not expect such behaviour soon. They have to sell cameras and lenses too.
As I remember @mikling told he has 2500 returning clients (correct me) for his Signature Edition, in this case there is enough left for Canon ;).