Canon printers. How many of us are still refilling?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I hate to admit it (because refiling was a joy of my life for over a decade)... but now that:
  1. My kids are grown, so I don't need to print color photos very often (almost never)
  2. I've been way more focused on 3D printing
  3. I got such a great deal on my color laser printer, I just use that for color
... I never print in color, and therefore don't need to refill. The other big issue: When I go forever not printing, I find the nozzles on my super old i560 get plugged-up, and dealing with either trying to remember to print regularly and/or cleaning the nozzles just isn't worth it. :(

Sometimes I dream about needing to go back to color inkjet printing again on a regular basis so I could justify putting in the time and energy... but I guess I'm just at a different phase of life?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I hate to admit it (because refiling was a joy of my life for over a decade)... but now that:
  1. My kids are grown, so I don't need to print color photos very often (almost never)
  2. I've been way more focused on 3D printing
  3. I got such a great deal on my color laser printer, I just use that for color
... I never print in color, and therefore don't need to refill. The other big issue: When I go forever not printing, I find the nozzles on my super old i560 get plugged-up, and dealing with either trying to remember to print regularly and/or cleaning the nozzles just isn't worth it. :(

Sometimes I dream about needing to go back to color inkjet printing again on a regular basis so I could justify putting in the time and energy... but I guess I'm just at a different phase of life?
Get or should i say save a kitten from shelter and you will need to print photos again, you will also save a life

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So, if I use a refill system: How does this work? I mean: After filling up ink, would the chip still tell the printer driver that the ink cartridge is empty?
You have several issue going on with your printer..

The First is using any old ink in your printer will lead to the print head getting damaged by the poor ink that you use, this happens over time so it doesn’t show up straight away, and yes you save money on inks but later are forced to buy a new print head..

Swings and roundabouts..

The Chips are on the cartridges for two reasons, the first is to tell the printer that you have cartridges installed, and they are in the correct colour position and secondly as the ink is used the printer counts the ink it uses up and reduces the ink level on the chip to show empty eventually..

If you refill your empty cart, then you must Hold the Resume button in for 5 seconds to allow the printer to continue, this must be done with each cart in turn, if you decide to refill then don’t let the cart go completely empty, otherwise you’ll have ink flow issue later..

P.S. OEM carts are better to refill than compatibles ones..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I hate to admit it (because refiling was a joy of my life for over a decade)... but now
I have exactly the same dilemma (Issue), I have reduced my level of printing so much that I only print the occasionally from the web, and use my Photo printers every few months or so, but my Pro 10 is down right now and needs some repair, but I’ll get to that eventually. (Not in any hurry)

My time is taken up with 3D printing and the inkjets have become a very poor second, the Maxify is my go too colour laser and just outputs pages whenever I need them, besides I’m in the middle of a complete overhaul of one of my CR-10’s and that’s taken all my attention..:hugs

With a photograph you can just sit and look at it !, but with a 3D object you can look at it, play with it, or use it in many, many practical ways around the home, and for me taking a photo is not a great thing, but designing and making something in 3D is much more enjoyable..

That’s no contest as far as I’m concerned, (I was also a lousy photographer anyway), because I once taught I could never afford a 3D printer let alone design something, so 3D printing has become a whole new educational way of life for me.. Thanks to Nifty himself..:thumbsup

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I got into 3D printing thanks to this forum and it seems to have on me the same effects that on Nifty and The Hat. I don't print photos for me anymore. Only by 'special' order' of my close relatives and that isn't often. My Pro10 sits on a rack, idle 99.999% of the time, but I try to keep it in good health printing at least once a week, be it nozzle checks or a couple of booklet covers.
I reckon that my reserves of ink for the Pro-10 and Maxify will last a long, long time,

Last edited:

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A couple of drops of Washing up liquid in warm water.. :thumbsup
Hi The Hat, Can you explain what "Washing up" liquid is? Do you mean regular dishwashing liquid?
I am still using my ip4300 from 2015. Recently, my nozzle check is showing missing bottom half of PGI-5. I attached a few images. I've been trying to clear it using an old cartridge with windex and some pgi-5 ink, without success. I'd appreciate any suggestions. P.S. I remember reading your posts from many years ago, where, from niffty, I learned how to refill these carts, with much appreciations! JRU

Attachments

• nozzles263.jpg
    nozzles263.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 102
  • nozzles264.jpg
    nozzles264.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 101
  • nozzles265.jpg
    nozzles265.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Old Canon printhead can fail suddenly for no apparent reason. Sadly the missing half is caused by an electronic printhead failure. No amount of cleaning can correct this error, only a new printhead will help. Sadly genuine new and unused QY6-0061 are nowhere to be found. Avoid buying printheads from the Far East. They are used and most likely defective out of the box.

So it is time for a new printer I think.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So it is time for a new printer I think.
I concur, the head has had it..
Hi The Hat, Can you explain what "Washing up" liquid is? Do you mean regular dishwashing liquid?
Washing up liquid is for hand washing dishes, like brand names “Fairy or Dreft”
Just use some in warm water and change the liquid every few hours during the day.. Sorry for your loss..

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
! ! :hu

I never soak anything in Windex, its bad for the metal in the nozzles..
on print heads. my canon pro 9000 mk2, i would think, has no more than 1000 prints in its life. if more, not a lot more. i t normally sits until i get the bug to do something, then i print a bit, then it sits again. would it be wise to get a new print head for the shelf? or with that little use, should the origional last . and then there are the waste ink pads. i understand it is a bitch to deal wit them, if they get saturated.