Canon printers. How many of us are still refilling?

DirkColaert

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-2100
I have a Canon PRO-2100 for 3 years and refill using 3th party refillable transparant cardridges of 750 ml and I fill them with 500ml bottles of InkOwl ink.
- refilling is a walk in the park: just unscrew the cardridge cap, pour the ink and thighten the cap again.
- The colors are great but I don't know about longivity. I hope for the best.
- I don't update my printer's firmware because I fear that Canon will build in more and more refill restrictions.
- I will consider to buy a spare print head, just in case.

tjodork

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 100
I’ve been refilling since.. I don’t know when, but a long long time, Epson were my first and a bit of a hit and miss, I got more ink on my fingers than in the carts, and not very reliable, so I moved to Canon..

Now I only refill the Pro 10 that’s busted at the moment, but will get it going in time, not to mention the Maxify, (Easy refill) I have a spare head for the Maxify, Pro 10 and Pro 9500, I also have a new Maxify still in its box, it was cheap so I bought it, but will probably never get to use it..

Anyway I see my time left in 3D printing, I don’t have any love for inkjet printers anymore because the sparkle went with all the newer restriction Canon have built in to the latest models, and if you’re lucky to have an old Canon printer, then hang on to it, like gold dust..

P.S. None of my printers have ever failed to work with the new O/S, We’re in the transition of O/S change from Win 8.1 to Win 11, and the 22 year old Samsung is very happy with Win 11.. Now to see how the rest of them go..
How long do you soak in the Windex ?
Thanks

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I started refilling in the late 1980's on an IBM ExecJet which was in reality a rebadged Canon BJ-330. In those old days I also brought old Epson and IBM dot matrix ribbons back to life by unwinding them into a brown paper sack and lightly misting them with WD40. Worked OK but was a bit messy. I went through a bunch of older Canon inkjets just because I always wanted a newer model until I got an IP4000 which was a rock solid printer. It was donated it when Canon had a fire sale on the MG6220. I bought two of those sometime around 2008. That was a great printer and also rock solid. When the printhead finally died I bought a 'refurbished' printhead on eBay which of course didn't work. The seller sent me a replacement and it's been fine ever since. The second MG6220 is still factory sealed and it's doubtful I'll ever need to open the box. I also have an iP8720 and Pro-100. I used Hobbicolors until he went out of businesses and after that a few other ink suppliers until I stopped being a cheapskate and began using Precision Colors ink. I guess my printer buying days are over unless I can find a DTG printer or a wide format at a bargain.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
been refilling since 2007 with the help from members in this forum.

current list of active printer that i am refilling are: (see pic)

MX700, first available in 2007, 15 years ago
MX870, first available in 2010, 12 years ago
MP980, first available in 2008, 14 years ago
PRO100 first available in 2012, 10 years ago

lot of years on these old canon printers, still amazed as to their build quality.

i'm pretty much a "printer refilling dinosaur/hoarder"

last count 1,955 refills

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700, MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: first Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
The glory days when the ip4000 was king. I'm still avoiding having to use original canon carts and although the days of resetters seem to be over. Still there remains refillable carts. Not the same but at least there is an alternative to the ridiculous prices of of OEM ink. I still have an Ip4700 along with a couple of MG 6250 printers and an ip7250 with compatible ink carts still printimg out fine photos. Am I alone? Please tell me that there are others who appreciate the the wonderful world of Canon printers.
Me three.... Cant remember that far back at least 10 years. MX printers mostly I also used to refill for friends that used the same carts as I did. Probably 20 min a month. Now Im still the only one. Going to start looking for a new printer that allows refillable and resetable carts. Sad to see this happening. Maybe even may be forced to look at
Epsons with bottles .
Any suggestions would be welcome

Lelopes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6810
The glory days when the ip4000 was king. I'm still avoiding having to use original canon carts and although the days of resetters seem to be over. Still there remains refillable carts. Not the same but at least there is an alternative to the ridiculous prices of of OEM ink. I still have an Ip4700 along with a couple of MG 6250 printers and an ip7250 with compatible ink carts still printimg out fine photos. Am I alone? Please tell me that there are others who appreciate the the wonderful world of Canon printers.
I always had Epson printers, which were very easy to find, not only refillable cartridges but also adaptations to bulk ink systems in Brazil. This is my first Canon. I enjoy this printer a lot, but to be honest, there was almost no reliable information about inks and refiling its cartridge the right way in Brazilian Portuguese. It was a bit of a struggle at the beginning, but apart from the ink waste this printer produces every time I let it sit for more than three days... It has been a reliable delight with great prints.

turnpaper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
just looking
I’ve been refilling since.. I don’t know when, but a long long time, Epson were my first and a bit of a hit and miss, I got more ink on my fingers than in the carts, and not very reliable, so I moved to Canon..

Now I only refill the Pro 10 that’s busted at the moment, but will get it going in time, not to mention the Maxify, (Easy refill) I have a spare head for the Maxify, Pro 10 and Pro 9500, I also have a new Maxify still in its box, it was cheap so I bought it, but will probably never get to use it..

Anyway I see my time left in 3D printing, I don’t have any love for inkjet printers anymore because the sparkle went with all the newer restriction Canon have built in to the latest models, and if you’re lucky to have an old Canon printer, then hang on to it, like gold dust..

P.S. None of my printers have ever failed to work with the new O/S, We’re in the transition of O/S change from Win 8.1 to Win 11, and the 22 year old Samsung is very happy with Win 11 Canon Printer Drivers.. Now to see how the rest of them go..
Hi,

I have an A4 Canon printer with individual ink tanks (MG5750). Colour accuracy is not important to me, as I don't print photos on this printer.

I used to usecheap replacement cartridges (US$3 per cartridge), but for the sake of environment (plastic waste), I'd like to change to REFILL instead of REPLACEMENT. There's various sets available, with 100ml bottles, syringes and empty cartridges.

The only problem I can see is that the ink cartridges are equipped with chips. DOn't know their exact purpose, but I'd guess they communicate how much ink has been used.

So, if I use a refill system: How does this work? I mean: After filling up ink, would the chip still tell the printer driver that the ink cartridge is empty?

Many thanks!

Latest posts