Canon Pixma Pro 100s: printing on Matte paper at standard quality blocks print head?

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
I mostly use my Pixma Pro 100s for printing on glossy vinyl sticker material and so have the print settings on "Photo Paper Glossy II" and print quality set to "high". I've occasionally had issues with blocked channels on the print head but these are few and far between and can usually be rectified by running a cleaning cycle.

Just recently however I've noticed that printing with the settings "Matte Photo Paper" and "standard" quality, about 1/3 the way through a print the colour changes and so there is a problem with one or more of the ink channels. On performing a nozzle check either 1) the yellow channel isn't printing at all, or 2) the yellow and photo magenta channels aren't printing at all.

Prior to this everything is working fine so it's not as if there is a gradual blockage of the print head (I don't see the usual lines that you start to get prior to a full blockage). If I then run a quick cleaning cycle it all starts to work again, until sometime later if I try to run the settings on matte paper and standard quality it will often do it again.

My understanding of the settings is that a matte paper setting + standard quality (vs. photo paper and high standard) uses less ink. I was wondering if this is some indication that my print head has an actual issue, but the higher quality settings are allowing enough ink through such that is doesn't show at all on that setting, but on a setting where less ink is used it stops working completely.

I just think it's odd there is no warning / loss of quality prior to using a different setting, then it just stops working altogether (on the Y and PM channels) then works perfectly again once a basic cleaning cycle is performed.

Anyone got any ideas of experienced anything like this themselves?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anyone got any ideas of experienced anything like this themselves?
The first question I’d ask is, are you refilling your OEM carts and or using compatible carts.. Because it sounds like an ink flow problem to me..
P.S. When you’re having an issue with a colour, then change out that cart for another one.. blame the carts first not the print head..

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
The first question I’d ask is, are you refilling your OEM carts and or using compatible carts.. Because it sounds like an ink flow problem to me..
P.S. When you’re having an issue with a colour, then change out that cart for another one.. blame the carts first not the print head..
The carts are genuine OEM but refilled with good quality replacement inks (Octo Inkjet in the UK). I've used the same carts for about 2 years now and first time I've had problems. Could be the carts though....with it being the yellow one I always get suspicious that it's a "yellow-jello" issue...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I always get suspicious that it's a "yellow-jello" issue...
No its not Yello Gello, that syndrome has long since pasted, it has more to do with how you use and handle your refilled carts.

Your supposed to remove and refill your carts the moment they show low (Yellow Warning) and don’t wait till there is no more ink left in the reservoir, failing to do this will result in the carts performance diminishing over the next refills.

The best way to restore the carts performance is to purge the cart of ink completely, they dry the sponge and refill the cart in your normal way, this will restore that cart back to its new condition again..

P.S. purging the cart will remove any air that may have built up in the lower end of the sponge.. Air will restrict the natural flow of ink inside the sponge..