Canon Pixma Pro 10 Refilling

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If the photo is actually representative of the actual product, those look like they are sponge type carts where as the real OEM carts for the PRO-10 have an internal ink bag or bellows kept perfectly balanced as the ink is used up by an internal leaf spring just like those from the PRO 9500MKII

I would not touch those puppies with a ten.... nah, not even a 50 foot pole. Unless you do not value your PRO-10.

Joe

gaetan 74

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
pro1, pro 9000
yeah I do not like pro 10
I trade it against pro 9000

Dredmanlaw

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 10.
If I am using the precision colors refill for the Pixma pro 10, do I use the printer's greyscale setting when I am printing black and white or the profile supplied by precision colors?

Dredmanlaw

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 10.
I know that mike is on this forum and I thought it would be a good reference for everyone if he answered it on the forum. If he doesn't get around to answering it, I will call up there.

Thanks,

Sam

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I have been using PC inks on all my Canon printers. PRO 9000 MKII PRO 9500 MKII and PRO-100 and I've NEVER had to use Gray Scale to get a great neutral B&W.

I simply print my images converted to B&W ( Not GrayScale - they are still RBG ) by printing through the proper IC profile from whatever editing app I choose and turning off color management or matching in the CANON driver.

You can always use the PSP plugin for B&W printing. Does a great job.

Always get great neutral prints. I make my own profiles but you could always use Mike's great free profiles customized for viewing under three different ambient light temperatures.

I have seen NO advantage between printing B&W in color mode and Gray Scale mode. Both work great so you can pick whatever method feels right for you.

By the way, Mike has been busy as H**L lately.

Joe

Dredmanlaw

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 10.
Thank you! I know he has been busy. That's why I posted here.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, I've been busy. That tends to bring the immune system down....way down. Then whammo the virus hits.
All week essentially flat on the bed ill with a bad case of the flu.....6th day. 4 hrs of being up and I'm pooped.

In grayscale mode you do have some flexibility to tone the image slightly and make some adjustments that a B&W image might need over just a gray scale conversion and just inside the driver. This outright essentially copies the Epson Advanced Black and White mode...a good thing but a real B&W aficionado will likely have their favorite workflow in the color world done B&W. I like Silver Efex Pro. There are many others. For years I wondered how folks were getting their B&W to have that "look". It was in the processing and editing of the image...not necessarily the linearity of the grayscale, neutrality etc. of the printer. Nor was it necessarily the camera..but a good one helps just like a good printer.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/silver-efex-pro/

Make sure you have your monitor calibrated and profiled when doing B&W!!!!! It is absolutely essential. Gamma curves are critical. You thought monitor calibration was for color only?
At least get the contrast and brightness done properly.
At a minimum minimum test your setup

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Very nice monitor test there.