Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Gaetan. Buy what you want, and if you are satisfied, please tell us how satisfied you are with it. But please also be careful about negative opinions. This is a nice, friendly forum, and we like it that way. :)

Last edited:

Dredmanlaw

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 10.
Well, yes, I've been busy. That tends to bring the immune system down....way down. Then whammo the virus hits.
All week essentially flat on the bed ill with a bad case of the flu.....6th day. 4 hrs of being up and I'm pooped.

In grayscale mode you do have some flexibility to tone the image slightly and make some adjustments that a B&W image might need over just a gray scale conversion and just inside the driver. This outright essentially copies the Epson Advanced Black and White mode...a good thing but a real B&W aficionado will likely have their favorite workflow in the color world done B&W. I like Silver Efex Pro. There are many others. For years I wondered how folks were getting their B&W to have that "look". It was in the processing and editing of the image...not necessarily the linearity of the grayscale, neutrality etc. of the printer. Nor was it necessarily the camera..but a good one helps just like a good printer.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/silver-efex-pro/

Make sure you have your monitor calibrated and profiled when doing B&W!!!!! It is absolutely essential. Gamma curves are critical. You thought monitor calibration was for color only?
At least get the contrast and brightness done properly.
At a minimum minimum test your setup

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

My thoughts are that the black and the gray inks are not going to be exactly the same shade of black or grey and therefore the Canon ABW mode will not be accurate and I would need to use the ICC profiles. On the other hand, I am worried that the profile will possibly bring a color cast into my image if the profile pulls my neutral tones into non-neutral tones. A profile can theoretically do that.

On another note, does anyone know whether the Pixma Pro-10 uses MBK on any setting other than fine art? I can't find a definitive answer. I should probably post this question somewhere else, but I thought I would ask since I have some ears.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sam

gaetan 74

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
pro1, pro 9000
Welcome, Gaetan. Buy what you want, and if you are satisfied, please tell us how satisfied you are with it. But please also be careful about negative opinions. This is a nice, friendly forum, and we like it that way. :)
can be translated?
But I'm a kind of villain
Just good is not fun!
I am the bubbles in the pepsi

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hello Gaetan,

how many times can reload a cartridge pgi72
must clean the cartridge too?
I ask because after 2 or 3 charging as the problem begins
big thank you
Gaetan, you did purchase a resetter from me in September 2014 but no ink was also acquired so I suppose you probably acquired it from another source as such troubles do not exist with my pigment inks for the Pro9500 or Pro-10.

If I recall, you were supposed to have someone call me back in October 2014 since you indicated adamantly that the resetter did not work or did not understand how to use the resetter properly...I suppose someone eventually translated the instructions to French for you. Good to know that eventually it was figured out.

Now tread carefully in the world of pigment inks for Canon Pro printers because sometimes Epson pigment inks are sold under the guise of suitable for Canon as well in a lot of public marketplaces and these will lead to troubles and sometimes terminal head failure down the road. The first signs of trouble is ink starvation and loss of color or density...maybe this is the source of the problems you describe "after 2 or 3 charging". I've even heard of some users trying High Quality Cone inks ( Epson) on Canon printheads with not good results. So it is not necessarily the initial quality of the inks but also the physical properties and resins that can withstand thermal heads like those on the Canon.

I delayed my inkset for the Pro-10 for about 6 months for a reason. Proof testing for reliability and consistent printing. I fully test for quality printing and reliable results and that takes resources and I incur costs to ensure that customers receive a product that fulfills its performance requirements when released.

gaetan 74

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
pro1, pro 9000
Hello Gaetan,

Gaetan, you did purchase a resetter from me in September 2014 but no ink was also acquired so I suppose you probably acquired it from another source as such troubles do not exist with my pigment inks for the Pro9500 or Pro-10.

If I recall, you were supposed to have someone call me back in October 2014 since you indicated adamantly that the resetter did not work or did not understand how to use the resetter properly...I suppose someone eventually translated the instructions to French for you. Good to know that eventually it was figured out.

Now tread carefully in the world of pigment inks for Canon Pro printers because sometimes Epson pigment inks are sold under the guise of suitable for Canon as well in a lot of public marketplaces and these will lead to troubles and sometimes terminal head failure down the road. The first signs of trouble is ink starvation and loss of color or density...maybe this is the source of the problems you describe "after 2 or 3 charging". I've even heard of some users trying High Quality Cone inks ( Epson) on Canon printheads with not good results. So it is not necessarily the initial quality of the inks but also the physical properties and resins that can withstand thermal heads like those on the Canon.

I delayed my inkset for the Pro-10 for about 6 months for a reason. Proof testing for reliability and consistent printing. I fully test for quality printing and reliable results and that takes resources and I incur costs to ensure that customers receive a product that fulfills its performance requirements when released.

''how many times can reload a cartridge pgi72
must clean the cartridge too?
I ask because after 2 or 3 charging as the problem begins
big thank you''

I solved this problem with Mr. The Hat (realy)

If your interest is real, you have reacted before.

if your customer service is doing on public chat,
I'm glad I do not do business with you

Désolé me mon anglais robotisé

Dredmanlaw

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 10.
My thoughts are that the black and the gray inks are not going to be exactly the same shade of black or grey and therefore the Canon ABW mode will not be accurate and I would need to use the ICC profiles. On the other hand, I am worried that the profile will possibly bring a color cast into my image if the profile pulls my neutral tones into non-neutral tones. A profile can theoretically do that.

On another note, does anyone know whether the Pixma Pro-10 uses MBK on any setting other than fine art? I can't find a definitive answer. I should probably post this question somewhere else, but I thought I would ask since I have some ears.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sam

OK, so tested this out last night. I am certain that only the fine art paper settings use matte black. And it makes a HUGE difference in the blacks, therefore making a huge difference in the contrast and colors of the print. Here is the issue with the profiles, you all might be able to tell me if you think it is a problem. So Precision Colors uses the matte photo paper for almost all of its profiles to get around the fine art border problem (red river does for oem inks as well). I understand that and I appreciate all of the free profiles.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine that the Precision Colors profiles could be correct if I want to use the matte black ink (Fine art paper) setting with its profile. "So use the matte paper setting" you say? Well then the printer uses photo black and the blacks are really dull and gray. This is not just a problem with Precision Colors' icc profiles, but almost every third party paper does this. I am also not here to complain (I blame Canon), but to point out the problem and see if anyone here has a suggestion to work around it without having to go through the expense and learning curve of creating my own profiles.

Sam

Last edited:

Dredmanlaw

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 10.
It’s worth trying the plain paper setting instead.. :caf
That is my point. I tried it and the matte paper. They both use photo black and the image is not good. The only way to get the image on matte paper to be right is to use the fine art setting and all of the third party profiles use the matte paper setting.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Dredmanlaw

Are you using the exact paper the ICC profile was made with? If not then results can certainly vary.

Which inks and how they are used in making the image is dictated by the settings (Plain Paper, Matte Photo Paper, etc) you choose in the printer. Of course all this is predicated on the ICC printer profile which matches a specific ink with a specific paper with a specific printer.

There isn't an all-in-one paper. Old fashioned trial and error with printer settings, a matched ICC Printer Profile, or changing paper brand or type can resolve a number of issues... if you dedicate the time and money!

The only way to get the image on matte paper to be right is to use the fine art setting and all of the third party profiles use the matte paper setting.
Are you saying that you have a "Fine Art setting" but that when chosen it reverts to "Matte Paper setting" when printing?