Canon Pixma ip4500 - parallel lines on prints

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I must admit that this seemingly simple test pattern is more useful than one would think at first glance. :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am sorry, because I’m of the opinion that a nozzle check is much better and far safer at diagnosing an unknown print problem than any test image can ever be.

A test image or photo print can easily damage an already stressed print head that maybe suffering from the affects from an unknown origin, a clog or in this case ink starvation.

So any image that contain solid areas should be avoided until it is certain that the heads are not clogged up with dried ink and it wont suffer further stress to the point of burnout.

@mikling test is very worth while after ascertaining that none of the nozzles are in fact clogged up by running a nozzle check first, and only then would it be safe to proceed with a test image such as this.

@Andrew Cooper, looking at your test images it is clear to me that your black cartridge is both leaking ink and letting in air at the same time, so the best way to solve your poor print quality is to remove the CISS unit completely.

There is no other alternative at all, so if your don’t want to do this, then you run the risk of losing the print head due to over heating eventually, and that will end the life of such a great printer, try switching to refilling your OEM cartridges and life will become so much easier..;)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
. As soon as something does not look right, and the nozzle check does not reveal the problem, this image should be printed and compared to the one filed away. Most times you will be able to tell what is going on right away.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Print out the attached image and show us the result and also indicate the direction of the paper path.
It is far more informative than a simple nozzle check as many will come to see once you get a feel of what is going on
This premature information may well cause damage to a print head that needs much more detailed investigation rather than trying to force a solution or guess what the problem might be.

I have posted much the same test image many times before, but always stressed the need to have a clear nozzle print FIRST…
upload_2015-12-17_12-40-43.png

Andrew Cooper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500 Dell 1320C
Excellent news folks! Dropping the continuous ink system's reservoirs about 1.5cm seems to have cured the problem completely. I've printed about 20 photos with no problems whatsoever, no sign of banding or leaks and pretty good reproduction of the pictures. I'm attaching a photo of the test sheet sent earlier together with the full A4 version of one of my original photos, printed on Matte paper together with a JPEG of the original photo for comparison. As you may be able to see, the colours in the print are slightly darker than the original photo but I assume I can adjust for this.

The reason it was raised 1.5 cm in the first place is that I'd placed the reservoir on a book, thinking it was better that it was level with the print heads when I had some initial problems priming the system. Clearly my mistake.

Very many thanks again everyone, don't know what I would have done without you. (Well, I do know but this is cheaper.)

IMG_20151217_123953369.jpg
1-IMG_20151105_114338294_HDR.jpg
1-IMG_20151217_122648991.jpg