Canon pixma 100-pro will not come back to life this time.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Hi all every 2 or 3 years I need to bring my printer back to life. This is normally done with 1 of two methods.

1) let it sit or pump the power button.
2) buy a new power supply insert.

The first option has many steps all of which I followed and has worked in the past. From a technical point of view it sound like a bunch of bubkiss, but it does work. I guess it is depleting caps or something? In some situations the second is needed. But this time nothing is working.

What I have now are 3 power models 2 brand new all showing the same voltages. It is very similar to this post
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pixma-mp640-won’t-turn-on.13967/page-2

but not the same printer. I two see 9 some volts on the pins, so I guess the remote "on" does not work. I'm hoping someone around here has pin-outs or info related to the boards. I can find most boards on the net but no idea what to take out. I hate to replace them all but that maybe what I have to do. I'd like to know what of these 9 pins would test the printer. Guessing one of them is a remote on signal.

for a history of the problem that lead to a dead printer was this. Printer was working, turned it off to wait for new ink. Turned it on to install ink, but it didn't power up. I had no power brownouts or spikes during that time.

Any help appreciated.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Ok I see not much support out there for this, I did contact Cannon and got very far, actually talked to a engineer :)
Sadly, the reply is, no you can not have the service manual, no we do not fix these any more. figure I'd save someone the hopeful attempt.

I will make my blog here in hope someone chimes in or learns from this.

I bought another one that has a known bad head issue but turns on. I confirmed the power going to the power board on both are the same. IIRC its 8 volts on 1,2,5,6 pins on the supply. Strange...8 volts? anyways, pulling the ribbon cable from the power on board to the back power board prevents the printer from coming on. So I tried the turn on board with my bad printer and that didn't help. I'm pretty sure the issue the main power board in the back and its going to be fun to remove.

I'm not sure how anything could have hurt it, so I fear is a signal telling it not to come on. but no idea what one. I will remove each cable and test the power ad I go.

On another note, taking this printer apart is not fun. you need to find the hidden pressure point to remove the top panels and there are a few write up online.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the 8 Volts on the 1,2,5,6 pins are the standby voltages and that the power supplies don't switch to the operating voltages. How many pins are there on the power supply and what are the output voltages marked on the power supply?

Canon printer power supplies rarely fail, instead a defective printhead prevents the logic board from delivering the control voltage to switch operating mode.

This thread has more about the interaction between print head, logic board and power supply. You can test the power supply by applying a control voltage of +3 VDC on the control pin. It is probably the pin that connects to a yellow wire. If the power supply is OK you should now measure the operating voltages, probably 24 and 36 VDC.

If you can remove the print head, you can try to switch on the printer. If the printer turns on but with an error message about a missing print head you know the printhead was the cause of the error. A new print head may then bring the printer back to life. But when a Canon print head fails there is a risk that it damages the logic board. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head, so installing a new print head is a gamble and sadly I don't know the odds for success.

When a Canon print head fails the error is often intermittent before becoming permanent. I think this explains the many strange procedures seen on YouTube and on the web to turn on a printer with a failing print head. That your printer needed a strange procedure to turn on clearly indicates to me that the printhead is defective. To minimize the risk of a defective print head damaging the logic board, a defective print head should be removed immediately,

Last edited:

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I think the 8 Volts on the 1,2,5,6 pins are the standby voltages and that the power supplies don't switch to the operating voltages. How many pins are there on the power supply and what are the output voltages marked on the power supply?

Canon printer power supplies rarely fail, instead a defective printhead prevents the logic board from delivering the control voltage to switch operating mode.

This thread has more about the interaction between print head, logic board and power supply. You can test the power supply by applying a control voltage of +3 VDC on the control pin. It is probably the pin that connects to a yellow wire. If the power supply is OK you should now measure the operating voltages, probably 24 and 36 VDC.

If you can remove the print head, you can try to switch on the printer. If the printer turns on but with an error message about a missing print head you know the printhead was the cause of the error. A new print head may then bring the printer back to life. But when a Canon print head fails there is a risk that it damages the logic board. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head, so installing a new print head is a gamble and sadly I don't know the odds for success.

When a Canon print head fails the error is often intermittent before becoming permanent. I think this explains the many strange procedures seen on YouTube and on the web to turn on a printer with a failing print head. That your printer needed a strange procedure to turn on clearly indicates to me that the printhead is defective. To minimize the risk of a defective print head damaging the logic board, a defective print head should be removed immediately,

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Right I read this as well. PS does show a higher voltage. I figure since the printer was on it would issue the higher voltage but it didn't. Maybe just as you said, because this donor printer has a bad head. It does turn on but flashes an alternating code.

Good to know I have replaced them in the past and that got the printer up but maybe was merely a coincidence.

I ended up taking out the main board from the donor printer and plan to swap it out on the target printer. I want to test just the main power plug and the ribbon that connector to the turn on board for a power test. But having all the other connection removed, I'm not sure if that is good.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Well the new board did make it power up but now the target printer has the same condition as the donor printer. So I know the board in my target printer is in fact bad. But turns out the donor board is bad in another way. Is there any way to get more info on the alternating flashes. Counting to 26 and sadly this info is not available to the public.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there any way to get more info on the alternating flashes. Counting to 26 and sadly this info is not available to the public.
The LED count of 26 is for battery disconnection, and if that’s the case then your fubar…

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Well maybe not, I may have just forgot to plug in a cable. What battery though? There are no batteries on the board. To recap I created this condition. My issue is a dead printer, no power. Putting in the donor board created it. It maybe needs programming for all I know.

For clarification. On the donor printer I get the x blinks. Moving the board to the target printer I get 26 blinks. I'm not sure the blink count on the donor but I could mode the board back and count. I have two printers here I'm sure with complete separate issues.
for reference
1) no power
2) print head error.
So I just need info to trouble shoot. Not FUBAR yet, as I have two printers to work from. I also have a new board on the way that is reported to be a working board. I'm also still unsure if boards can be swapped.

Is it similar to this?
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pixma-pro-1-partly-demystified.15319/
Do I have a coin battery somewhere? And does this service mode software exist?

I read this
""
The internal battery is used to keep some information (as the date and time) when the printer has no power supply. When you want to disconnect the circuit board with the battery, or replace the battery, you better do this when then printer is connected to the power (but not powered on).

If not you risk a permanent or at least a correctable error (you must set the date and time again with an appropriate service tool).
""
when I disconnected the main board the power was not applied. so maybe this is what you are referring to?

Last edited:

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Service mode:

I found a program called TOOL0006V3000 -- calls it self a canon pro 100 service mode tool. I followed the steps to get in service mode and the printer comes up normal now.

the tool only gives errors in this mode that are empty Error "" . Printer still shows off line. Printer shows a "canon device" in device manager.

if If put the printer in normal operation I get error "006" for all operations.

Following this advice was said to be needed for an 6 error.

So just to reiterate the sequence above
- Press and hold resume/cancel button (one with triangle in the circle).
- Press ON button while holding resume/cancel button (now you are holding both).
- Release the resume/cancel and press it 5 times.
- Release the ON button

this makes the printer show as, "canon device" but now all functions give that no error "" blank.
cn.png

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If you downloaded the software tool for free somewhere, there're high chances that it's a fake. I know it by experience :rolleyes:. You need to purchase it from a vendor on Ebay. It costs up to 10 euro/$.
Also, take into account that the Pro-100 requires a version of this service tool that was released after the printer appeared on the market. Older versions won't work and, what's worse, they will block service mode in your Pro-100. Sadly, I know that by experience too... it happened with my Pro-10s.
Looking at the capture screen you posted it seems that it's a fake,
See the comparison between capture screens of fake and originals versions at the link below:
https://www.ebay.es/itm/265687946363