Canon MG8150 / 8250 advice please

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
sam21 said:
I would like it if there was a super way of removing the label.
Me too. :)

I think less of the label needs to be removed if you use the low profile plugs versus using hot glue or tape to seal the refill hole. You just need to clear the label from any area that may come in contact with your choice of hole sealing method.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is a photo of two different carts one with a plug and one with a hot wax seal.

5128_carts_2.png

Cutting the label is as you know not very easy but just try cutting the area over the hole and stripping that piece off.

The other method I mostly use is not to bother fiddling with the label and just drill a 2mm hole further back
from the refill plug and use that which I found much easier and quicker.

Removing the wax seal is also easy by inserting a pen knife blade under the edge
of the wax nipple which breaks the seal and then it can be remove.

The hot wax works far better with a smaller hole and youre less lightly to get any of the wax falling
into the cartridge when removing it, which causes no harm even if it does fall in.

The German refill method is probability an easier way to refill and has fewer problems associated with it
so long as youre using OEM cartridges because compatible cartridges
can be a bit of a bitch when using this method or even next to impossible.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
Here is a photo of two different carts one with a plug and one with a hot wax seal.
Hot glue, Glue, GLUE!!

"Wax" is stuff you make candles out of, or find in embarrassing clumps coming out of your sons ears, etc... It's not used for sticking things to each other or sealing cartridges...

*throws hands up in air and walks away shaking head* :rolleyes: :p

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi to the Hat

Thank you for the information on the system you use you give very good advice.

I think I have had a breakthrough with this removing the label problem from CLI 520 / 521 cartridges.

If you look at Tudor in post #25 he talks about a small indent just near the bottom of the cartridge then using a small knife you are able to carefully lift the label and remove it, I have found this very hard to do as the cartridges i have the label goes right over this indent covering it completley.

But today I was given some more empty cartridges and I noticed the labels where in slightly different positions on the cart some are placed higher on the cart leaving the small indent visible, and some are placed lower down covering this small indent Tudor talks about.

On the cartridges I have been given where the label does not go right to the bottom of the cartridge it stops a few mm from the bottom and it allows you to get a small knife under the label in the small indent as Tudor says, and then you can carefully lift the label and remove it in one piece.

Just got to find some carts with the label in the right place.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail Hot glue, Glue, GLUE!!
Ok OK Hot GLUE it is then. :duc
I will just have to find another use for my ear wax.:barnie

sam21 Just got to find some carts with the label in the right place.
It really doesnt matter where the label starts; just make sure you dont remove
the entire label from the top and that you only use OEM cartridges.. :)

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi to the Hat

While I respect what you say I think you misunderstood what I was saying I agree with you about using genuine Canon OEM cartridges for refilling.

If you have a cartridge where the label does not go right down to the bottom of the cartridge IE some are placed right up to the small lip on the cartridge and some are placed a little way from the edge of the cartridges allowing you to see a small indent.

The ones where you can see the small indent as Tudor talks about are easier to remove the label in fact with a little care it comes off in one piece , a lot easier than if the label is placed right near the edge of the cartridge