Canon MG8150 / 8250 advice please

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
sam21 said:
Hi guys i thought i would have a practice and refill some of my IP400R printer cartridges and its not as easy as it looks, i decided to try the top fill method to start with.

So i got a carpenters awl to take out the little ball to get to the refill hole, but it would not come out, so i ended pushing it into then cartridge.

So what the secret of getting this ball out please
I usually dont bother trying to pull the little ball out at all;
I just drill another smaller hole in the top and be done with it, Simples as Alexander would say..

Another thing you should do is to take a photo of yourself before you start your refilling
thats just in case you end up a different colour that your were before you started.. :lol:
He He Hat i like your jokes, i have got an old canon IP4000R and while i am waiting i thought i would have a go at refilling some empty cartridges i had laying about
Thats how i managed to push the little ball in to the cartridge.

I lkis the photo idea as the practice cartridge has been empty for months now but i have still managed to end up with blue hands.

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
The cartridge should work fine if you push/drop the ball into the spongeless compartment. It's happened to me and no problems printing or refilling.

I use a push pin to make the Durchstich hole. Once I get the push pin through the soft plastic I then rotate it at an angle to widen then hole a bit. Avoid rotating the pin in the sponge. My 18 gauge needle fits snuggle at first. The hole will loosen a bit and be a perfect fit for the needle after a refill or two.
Thanks stratman and thrillamozilla yes it gone in the spongless compartment it will not be a problem for me as i dont intend to use it, i just thought it would be a little practice

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys after reading all about refilling canon cartridges on the forum I have decided to try both the Top filling method and the Durchstich method on some of my old cartridges that I dont use anymore so I get the hang of it with old cartridges and old ink before I have a go with good cartridges and ink.

I have had a try with the Durchstich method and that seems ok, so now I want to try the top fill method.

In this forum everyone says remove the original fill ball or drill another 4mm hole, and remove the label from the top of the cartridge around the fill hole.

But thats not easy and the lable just will not come off, is there a knack to this or do I just have to persevere and keep scraping will the plug Martin sells seal the cartridge if there is remnants of the lable around the fill hole

Regards to you all

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
This is a picture of a cli8, but it works the same on cli521:
<-- click to enlarge

First I cut the label just below "Ink Tank", then I raise it a bit just like in the picture. There is a small indentation at the end of the label so you can grab it with a knife. It peels off, but you need to do it slowly so it will not tear. All that is left is some glue, but that will not interfere with the plug.

cli-521 with label and ball removed (plug and clip from octoink):

<-- click to enlarge

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you Tudor

I will follow your your tip.

One other question i would like to ask is on my current printer every time i change the cartridges i run a head alinment. is this a bit over the top.

Thanks for the help.:/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sam21 said:
Thank you Tudor

I will follow your your tip.

One other question i would like to ask is on my current printer every time i change the cartridges i run a head alinment. is this a bit over the top.

Thanks for the help.:/
A head alignment is usually only necessary if you have pulled out or unseated your print head for any reason
otherwise its a waste of time to do it regularly and so will serve no useful purpose.
It can also get moved if you are a bit heavy handed while changing your cartridges.

When you run a head alignment do it manually and check each section carefully
because you are the best judge of what youre looking at.

If you are doing a lot of photos I would suggest you run the alignment test every six months just to keep it tune in properly.

But before you do it please check on start-up that you print the Alignment Value first as this records your last test
so youll be able to see at a glance how much the values have changed since you last ran one.

A nozzle check would be a much better idea to run after a cartridge change (Also weekly)
as it will tell you if all your nozzles are getting and outputting enough ink.

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for all the help and advice you have given me in this forum.

But I am still stuck with removing the label on the cartridge top I have tried Tudor advice but I am still unable to get even the smallest but of label to lift up. Is there anything I can use to help lift the label a little so I can peal it off please?

I would think to get a air tight seal with a plug i will have to remove all traces of the lable.

One other question are the cartridge chips specific for the colour or will any CLI521/520 chip work with different colours.

Regards to you all

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
sam21 said:
But I am still stuck with removing the label on the cartridge top I have tried Tudor advice but I am still unable to get even the smallest but of label to lift up. Is there anything I can use to help lift the label a little so I can peal it off please?
It's a bear to get off. Patience is a virtue. Maybe someone has a super secret method, but I've not heard or discovered an "easy" way to remove the label as completely as is seen in some people's photos.

If you are going to Top Fill using the ball extraction method, you can just remove the portion of the label above the dimple where the plastic ball is sequestered and use a low-profile silicone plug from Octoink.

Maybe you are beginning to understand why the Durchstich method is simpler, from set up to every refill thereafter? :frow

One other question are the cartridge chips specific for the colour or will any CLI521/520 chip work with different colours.
YES. You cannot mix and match. The Cyan chip must be mated with the cartridge you use for Cyan ink. Same with every other ink color. FYI - no one has figured out a system based on configuration or markings to allow for identification of the chips when separated from their cartridges. The only way then is to insert the cartridge with the chip in the print head until you find the correct slot.

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
sam21 said:
It's a bear to get off. Patience is a virtue. Maybe someone has a super secret method, but I've not heard or discovered an "easy" way to remove the label as completely as is seen in some people's photos.

If you are going to Top Fill using the ball extraction method, you can just remove the portion of the label above the dimple where the plastic ball is sequestered and use a low-profile silicone plug from Octoink.

Maybe you are beginning to understand why the Durchstich method is simpler, from set up to every refill thereafter? :frow

YES. You cannot mix and match. The Cyan chip must be mated with the cartridge you use for Cyan ink. Same with every other ink color. FYI - no one has figured out a system based on configuration or markings to allow for identification of the chips when separated from their cartridges. The only way then is to insert the cartridge with the chip in the print head until you find the correct slot.
Thanks stratman

I would like it if there was a super way of removing the label.

I have just managed it on one of my old BCI6 cartridges ond it works pretty goog but thats on in about 6 i have tried.

I think i will use the durchstich method but i have decided to try the top fill first and once i start i will not let it beat me i will find away somehow to remove the label. :he

Thanks for the info on the chips i thought as much